Stick & Rudder

Hi gang,

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap(ish) preferably new copy of Stick & Rudder?

In the bookshops it's $60 (ouch!) and the cheapest I've found so far on the internet is $32 (inc shipping) on Amazon.com.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booko: Compare book & DVD prices in Australia with Booko[/url] when looking for new books. A search on that site shows that Stick & Rudder can be bought for a little under $26, including shipping, from bookdepository.co.uk (I have no affiliation with either site).

What an awesome website, thanks :)

Hi gang,Does anyone know where I can get a cheap(ish) preferably new copy of Stick & Rudder?

In the bookshops it's $60 (ouch!) and the cheapest I've found so far on the internet is $32 (inc shipping) on Amazon.com.

Anyone got any ideas? :)

I paid $45 through one of the bigger online pilot shops, so your price of $32 seems quite good. It's well worth the price I reckon.

Amazon(UK)

Someone may be able to assist me here. With Amazon UK, there appears to be no way out of paying the VAT,17%. When I get special tyres from there the export price is quoted and used, and VAT is not paid. You should not pay VAT on articles sold out of Britain. Who is copping all this money? Nev

I borrowed a copy from a library for free, but thought the book was over-rated. Darky what information are you looking for?

No info in particular, it just seems to be a highly recommended book by lots of people so figured it was worth a read...

I borrowed a copy from a library for free, but thought the book was over-rated. Darky what information are you looking for?

Well, if you can point out to me any errors in this publication I and others would be interested. I gave some copiess away to some mates a couple of years ago and they and I still use as the BIBLE of flying,

Your comments please.

Comments for pduthoit.

I found it took forever to actually get anywhere, it waffles. The theoretical information was on the light side, and the practical information was a bit on the obvious side. The theory is covered in so many other texts in so much more depth and without the flowery beating around the bush, the practical side is most likely taught from the start by instructors.

Things like the landing perspective (which perhaps is why Darky is looking for it?) for instance. Everyone is taught when looking for traffic that the traffic which gets bigger but doesn't move on the screen is the one you are going to hit. It seems pretty obvious that an aiming point for landing is the same. Point the thing where you want to land and keep it there, adjust speed with power. It takes pages and pages.

Gliding. Goes on forever about it being some great secret that pointing the nose up or down too far reduces the gliding range. Well, yeah. Just have a look at any lift/drag ratio graph in any student flying book at it is there slapping you in the face. It's covered in detail in the decscending briefing and flight, it's no "secret"!

Mazda, I'm very surprised at your comments.

Certainly the standard of the writer can be criticised, but I'm amazed that you seem to think this information is readily available - in the RA Aus literture? in the CASA literature? from instructors?

You only have to read the posts on this site to know how much people struggle to comprehend aeronautical theory, so why try to squash one of the best sources of information.

If you are asserting there are better and more comprehensive publications, let's see what they are.

I picked up a copy a while back. It is slow in places and the language is not what you find in magazines or blogs, it was also written in a completely different era. I liked that it related everything to actuall control inputs rather than lift/drag diagrams etc.

It can't hurt to have a read and enjoy a book about aviation from when B-17s where the cutting edge. If you want to play aerspace engineer than go get any of the text books authored by Anderson and get ready for some maths and some heavy theory!

Yeah, I have looked at that one. It actually has a great summary of the creation of lift, the best I've seen actually. You can go crazy with all the theory but unless you are designing a new wing it a case of so what. Without the correct context and an unhealthy love for maths it can become a blur of equations. I found that stick and rudder talked in terms of the pilot and no equations; bonus!:thumb_up:

everyone has to find what works for them. I think the aerodynamics course on the US AOPA site was a ripper.