Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Update...hopefully will get my exhaust done later this weekend for a run. I had a tornado up at my farm last wed night and the hanagr sustained a little bit of damage to the main sliding doors and the rear roller door also the whirlybirds on the top of the roof. I have to meet the insurance guys up there on friday so I will stay overnight there and drive through saturday morning back home and call in to the Childers breakfast on saturday. Got some work to do to the main doors (longer door to floor bolts) 12189167_10206166003484019_404365607788928273_n.jpg.470ecf7255b8c428bac653b01c97f78e.jpg so needed to take some tools up and also need to clean the runways from some debris that is on them.

As you know when the funds are forthcoming I want to start the next build project and the Rans S-20 Raven is the one I have picked all bar having a flight in one first but Randy Schlitter posted these photos today of the new LSA version with the trike gear...how sexy does this look?

12196022_10206166006004082_4758125339356023419_n.jpg.3e8cb7b36d1e3cb72744a3f5adda2e74.jpg

11056568_10206166005644073_1448522745924483196_n.jpg.8c685309ac723bd2f84d16e9dc9bff10.jpg

12196197_10206166005044058_6715700188719590586_n.jpg.2101398042b355c6a309915f520c8e0a.jpg

1610967_10206166004164036_1147204254998675955_n.jpg.eb5e880006f150c0064913c066c738fb.jpg

12193550_10206166003844028_6741891519176765305_n.jpg.3899ae55fc6c46554db5da72743c72d2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Update...hopefully will get my exhaust done later this weekend for a run. I had a tornado up at my farm last wed night and the hanagr sustained a little bit of damage to the main sliding doors and the rear roller door also the whirlybirds on the top of the roof. I have to meet the insurance guys up there on friday so I will stay overnight there and drive through saturday morning back home and call in to the Childers breakfast on saturday. Got some work to do to the main doors (longer door to floor bolts) [ATTACH=full]39122[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39123[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39124[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39125[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39126[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39127[/ATTACH] so needed to take some tools up and also need to clean the runways from some debris that is on them.As you know when the funds are forthcoming I want to start the next build project and the Rans S-20 Raven is the one I have picked all bar having a flight in one first but Randy Schlitter posted these photos today of the new LSA version with the trike gear...how sexy does this look?

Lovely!! I think it looks better in the nose-dragger version.

Finally got the exhaust system welded completely. My mate who did the welding couldnt get here and Danny Leach was working with Roger a couple of hangars down so I cut and fitted the last pipe to make it fit and Danny kindly tigged it for me. He did a great job too. I have lowered the radiator to clear the tension springs just by adding some plates with extra holes for adjustment onto the existing radiator brackets. This worked quite well. Dragged the girlfriend out of the hangar and fired her up. Well it certainly sounds different and seems to have more accelleration. Interesting is that at full power I was only getting 5100 while held there I thought I had more previously. I will know soon as I will put the original system back on and do the same test but my initial feeling is there is a fair bit more instantaneous power than before. I am going to mold the bottom cowl so I can keep a original and then the mould can be used to make a standard one and then I will modify it to maake one for the new system. This way I can still fly the girlfriend while doing some more work but will see after I give it another ground run with the original system

IMG_2745.jpg.1155b1f247949e9255385656bcba3ad6.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg.7eff005e0fd875a8380b322b5d3b1a10.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg.88d86649aeb82c8fff2b6d5735e40a8e.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg.a84aec2df9d607e6bdaf0a1471d955e9.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a hectic few weeks here but during the week I got my lower cowl back home and mounted it on a base plate. Did the usual waxing then PVA release agent. Danny leach came over with some gelcoat yesterday and sprayed the cowl. This morning I am starting to glass up the mold. Hopefully by the end of the day it will be finished and in a day or 3 I can hopefully get my cowl out of the mold and I will have a bottom cowl mold ready to lay up a new cowl that I can then modify for the new Rotax muffler system. I will be away for the next 2 weekends so cant do much but hopefully can get to do more testing with the rotax muffler fitted then I will change it all back to the ICP muffler and put my original cowl back on and can do some flying while I lay up the new cowl then I will need to put the Rotax system back on and fit the new cowl and modify it. I will obviously fly the girlfriend with a unpainted cowl to see what the actual difference is.

IMG_2774.jpg.91423254e7f5bb8234468cbf8375ad6d.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg.bfbdd54cedcb02edaf686e057a207b55.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg.6e2ca2ae9edfda3cde278c50fd111138.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Its been a hectic few weeks here but during the week I got my lower cowl back home and mounted it on a base plate. Did the usual waxing then PVA release agent. Danny leach came over with some gelcoat yesterday and sprayed the cowl. This morning I am starting to glass up the mold. Hopefully by the end of the day it will be finished and in a day or 3 I can hopefully get my cowl out of the mold and I will have a bottom cowl mold ready to lay up a new cowl that I can then modify for the new Rotax muffler system. I will be away for the next 2 weekends so cant do much but hopefully can get to do more testing with the rotax muffler fitted then I will change it all back to the ICP muffler and put my original cowl back on and can do some flying while I lay up the new cowl then I will need to put the Rotax system back on and fit the new cowl and modify it. I will obviously fly the girlfriend with a unpainted cowl to see what the actual difference is.[ATTACH=full]39476[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39477[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39478[/ATTACH]

Did you work out if the new muffler gives you a bit more take off ooomf?

Hi Hank

I havent had the time to get back to it lately although I have been making a new mold so I can knock out a new lower cowl. The initial testing I did shows promise for sure. Engine RPM didnt seem to be more but havent done the comparison yet that will be this weekend I will have a better idea. But on first impressions there is a big difference in throttle response the engine accellerated heaps faster. But will know more this weekend as I am currently in Melbourne will be flying home tomorrow afternoon then lots to do at work. Not enough hours in the day at the moment.

Mark

One would have thought that with all the fibreglassing I have done with model jets over the past 20 years I would have learnt something. Obviously not..... Wanting to get the new cowl mold done pretty quickly as I want to get the girlfriend back into a flying state even with the original exhaust system until I get a new cowl made from the mold I didnt give much thought to how the mold should have been done. It really needed to be split right down the middle to a left and right side. There is a section at the bottom of the cowl that has the air scoop for the radiator. It has a section in it that wont allow you to get the cowl out in one piece. It comes back in on itself slightly so getting it out has been a misson and a half. Trying to get it out I have wrecked the original paint job on my cowl so need to sand it all back and repaint it. Oh well no drama I can get that done pretty quickly only a couple of days. But I will now have to split the mold I have made otherwise I wont be able to get the new cowl out of the mld when I make it. Splitting it now will make a slight difference to the size but that wont really matter. Hopefully I can get the original cowl ready for painting this week and get it done by next weekend. I have to do some repairs to the mold and then split it but it will be all fine just a few hours extra work.

IMG_2891.jpg.8b38116e0680ae02378540967de406d8.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg.e3ca0a707e7b371c6585c87555858f71.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg.682772d444f89a80b37be4f027af1ecd.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg.9cca5eaeb1f8cedadd20718ce4d064f4.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg.52f0c3029029b60b038b92e3bb5f0781.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg.73d5347cd40176576234c4860d66f8ec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a epic project for you in a sense but has been interesting watching the progress and guessing you don't know how many worms in the can till you open can, but thanks for sharing your passion and ingenuity Mark.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

One would have thought that with all the fibreglassing I have done with model jets over the past 20 years I would have learnt something. Obviously not..... Wanting to get the new cowl mold done pretty quickly as I want to get the girlfriend back into a flying state even with the original exhaust system until I get a new cowl made from the mold I didnt give much thought to how the mold should have been done. It really needed to be split right down the middle to a left and right side. There is a section at the bottom of the cowl that has the air scoop for the radiator. It has a section in it that wont allow you to get the cowl out in one piece. It comes back in on itself slightly so getting it out has been a misson and a half. Trying to get it out I have wrecked the original paint job on my cowl so need to sand it all back and repaint it. Oh well no drama I can get that done pretty quickly only a couple of days. But I will now have to split the mold I have made otherwise I wont be able to get the new cowl out of the mld when I make it. Splitting it now will make a slight difference to the size but that wont really matter. Hopefully I can get the original cowl ready for painting this week and get it done by next weekend. I have to do some repairs to the mold and then split it but it will be all fine just a few hours extra work.[ATTACH=full]39952[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39953[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39954[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39955[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39956[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39957[/ATTACH]

That sounds frustrating and like a lot of extra work. pull_hair.gif.3994f465d56951521f66ae0593c25df0.gif

One would have thought that with all the fibreglassing I have done with model jets over the past 20 years I would have learnt something. Obviously not..... Wanting to get the new cowl mold done pretty quickly as I want to get the girlfriend back into a flying state even with the original exhaust system until I get a new cowl made from the mold I didnt give much thought to how the mold should have been done. It really needed to be split right down the middle to a left and right side. There is a section at the bottom of the cowl that has the air scoop for the radiator. It has a section in it that wont allow you to get the cowl out in one piece. It comes back in on itself slightly so getting it out has been a misson and a half. Trying to get it out I have wrecked the original paint job on my cowl so need to sand it all back and repaint it. Oh well no drama I can get that done pretty quickly only a couple of days. But I will now have to split the mold I have made otherwise I wont be able to get the new cowl out of the mld when I make it. Splitting it now will make a slight difference to the size but that wont really matter. Hopefully I can get the original cowl ready for painting this week and get it done by next weekend. I have to do some repairs to the mold and then split it but it will be all fine just a few hours extra work.[ATTACH=full]39952[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39953[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39954[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39955[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39956[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]39957[/ATTACH]

When do you hope to have the Savannah flying again?

If I want to fly her with the cowl the way it is it will only take an hour to swap over the exhaust systems. But I think I will repaint the cowl first. I will start the sanding tomorrow after work but I have to go up the farm on thursday night got a funeral in Bundy on friday should be back here on sat arvo or sunday morning so hopefully its ready for painting. I am on holidays from this thursday arvo for 3 weeks and will have until the 27th before we go back up the farm for about 8 days or so. So should have her flying again sometime after this weekend coming.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well best laid plans....tried to get the lower cowl ready for paint before we went away up to our farm but just too much to do and the filler is used didnt go off very well so had to strip it all off...that pissed me off so didnt get back to it. So I put it in the car with the rest of the gear in the trailer and bought it up here to the farm as I knew I would get some time to work on it in the 9 days we are here.

Oops..pressed the wrong button...anyway had the guy come and look at my hangar up here to repair the doors after the tornado went through here a month of so ago. He found some other damage to the hangar so I have cleaned up the area he needs to work in and also put my workbench and some storage shelves in so what better way to christen aircraft work in the hangar. Yesterday I finished sanding the cowl then I undercoated it...rubbed it back a bit then hit it with the old spray putty. Sanded that again this arvo its not finished yet but almost there. Will get to that tomorrow then hit it with another coat of undercoat and when I get home on tuesday I will wet sand it and it should be ready for painting...so hopefully it will be finished and back on the plane by the end of the week

• Like 1

Hello Kyle;

You've made reference to your "build blog" a few times in this thread and I'd like to have access to it. If you are willing, would you care to share it with me? I also created a chronological photo journal which followed my "first-build" log (almost 1300 hours, by the way) but I know there are better ways to do many of the assembly steps.

One upgrade I'd like to make is 3-point door latches - but I don't see these listed with FlyBuy USA (I'm in Eastern Canada). Another appealing feature on the new Savs is adjustable seating - but I doubt this is available as a retrofit to a VG XL. I do have the beefed-up front gear support (but continue to have reservations about the strength of the front gear leg).

Fly safely, and Happy New Yeaar.

Dan

Hi Dan

This thread is my build blog...it doesnt have everything but it has the mods I did and maybe the different ways I made my aircraft also the difficult parts of the build and how I solved those problems. This thread is now 49 pages long and has had over 74000 views which quite frankly has astounded me. I get a lot of questions from around the world about how I did some of my mods and methods and I am always happy to help in any way I can.

The 3 point door latch system is made by Reg Brost from Aerokits here in Australia www.aerokits.net.au he is the ICP distributor here and it is what he designed I am pretty sure just about every Sav built here in Australia has it fitted. Email Reg the details are on his page and he will sell you a set. It works a treat and is easy to fit. I believe Reg also designed the adjustable seat system and ICP copied it also the extended rudder kit that ICP sells Reg also designed that so he maybe able to sort you out with those as well. Reg is a nice guy and always willing to help.

Happy new year to you and your family as well and fly safe

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks (again) Mark;

I've written Reg with my questions.

Where will I find your blog regarding fitting of the plastic tips on the ailerons, wings and rudder. I've already been through this once; although, regarding the ailerons, was not entirely happy with the results.

Best,

Dan

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-3

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-8 on this page you will see how I fitted the tips to the stab and elevator

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-13 on here you will see I fitted a jabiru static port to the top of my fin. You van see the sheet plates I put in between the rib and the skin to hold the plastic tip on

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-19 this is how I did the aileron tips...I cut the rear and this time no sheets as there is no rib at the tip so I slipped the plastic inside the aileron in far enough to rivet them. That distance is determined by the cut out at the rear end of the plastic tip in the photo

Mark

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/page-6 this is how I did the wing tip...you need to mKE A RIB FORMER FROM PLY THIS MAKES IT VERY EASY...JUST DONT FORGET TO PULL IT OUT BEFORE YOU PUT THE FINAL FLAT REAR TIP PLATE ON
  • Haha 1

I was trying to upload these pics while I was away but they didnt want to play the game on the wireless broadband...so here they are...sanded the spray putty back further than in the photos then proceeded to undercoat . The cowl is now back home will wet rub it tonight and hopefully the weather will be kind tomorrow and I can get some paint on it

IMG_2969.jpg.2f13820b573f0c324b2f5097b600fc64.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg.9e532283e665a342c765f74429b6d022.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg.6a07b5a9acd3197ea3c1d10898dbf0bd.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg.21fa1f10f4400660095142a97a541c00.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg.e5b95cc4486b3f5b940a69b0c2a001ee.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good!, but as they say the final finish is as good as the preparation, which you are doing.

A slower but thorough job simply takes a bit longer, but is well worth the effort in the long run.

Are you finishing it with 2pac?