Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

If you keep the template as close to the edge of the alu its easier. Its still a bit of fiddling but so long as it looks good thats all that matters. Dont forget to take the template out...I nearly sealed up the last wing tip with it in there...luckily I remembered.

Yes I trimmer the fibreglass tips to fit nicely underneath . The top wing skin tensioner/stringer was the issue I cut it out. I think I have some pictures at home of the cutout I did. I will look later tonight when I get home

Hi Hank

Sorry we missed catching up while you were on the right side of the pond. Yes she is flying with the original exhaust system. I have the lower cowl mold all done but I am all cowled out at the moment as I have to lay up a new lower cowl before I can then modify it to suit the rotax exhaust system. I need to do some more flying in her, I havent been a good boy lately I havent kept her in the sky as much as she wants 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

There is a breaky up at Childers next saturday so weather being ok I will fly up there then fly over to my farm which is only 14 nm to the west and stay there overnight if the weather looks ok and fly back on the sunday. I need to do a heap of practice at my farm strip.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Put the baby to bed this arvo

20160215_154324.jpg.1cc78067e2339f806abfa27e19527a5c.jpg

Engine next, all the wiring is ready to plug on.

20160215_154358.jpg.c66c4f075a23cf546bc6af65129683e2.jpg

Need to clean the hangar out a bit before it will fit with the wings on, need another tractor shed, I have got used to having it spacious, now we will have to park economically.

• Like 2

Put the baby to bed this arvo[ATTACH=full]41447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]41448[/ATTACH]

Need to clean the hangar out a bit before it will fit with the wings on, need another tractor shed, I have got used to having it spacious, now we will have to park economically.

What's keeping the nose down without an engine?

What's keeping the nose down without an engine?

Two twenty litre Roundup drums full of water on a wing skin tensioning strap wrapped around the ring mount. I had just towed it by hand nearly a kilometre in 38 degree heat from Mum's lounge room to the hangar. I was really feeling my age by the time it arrived.

I am tossing up if I should install the updated nose leg bracket before I put the engine in or just go with it, I did install a galvanised steel reinforcing plate on each side as I built it, but there won't be an easier time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Still putting together the shed where my S will be born...while the kit bungs up my other tiny shed. Talk about doing things a**e about....(

So, thanks for the pics, Rankamateur: a definite spurt in shed building today...)

Put the baby to bed this arvo[ATTACH=full]41447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]41448[/ATTACH]

Looking great. Can I ask what prep and paint system you have chosen?

You will not regret waiting a little bit for that upgraded front fork support.

I live twenty minutes drive from the distributor so there is no wait involved for the part, but I will have to wait until he is painting my wings, flaps and struts to get it painted because all the firewall area is already painted. Might change the game plan is all.

Looking great. Can I ask what prep and paint system you have chosen?

I live inland so I have etch primed the lap on all sheets and the outer face, then it got two coats of two pack "Kosciuszko White", Second coat applied while the first is just going off. All the lap joints in the frame and the sheets have ICP black mastic compound. It took about one and a half tins to do it.

Still putting together the shed where my S will be born...while the kit bungs up my other tiny shed. Talk about doing things a**e about....(So, thanks for the pics, Rankamateur: a definite spurt in shed building today...)

Don't you have a lounge room?

Photo0003.jpg.9b36fb1f1c8897256f3b9c890fd300f9.jpg

Notice etch primer under all the rivet heads too.

I do have a lounge room. However, I also have a wonderfully supportive wife I am most attached to, and while she's not large, neither is the lounge; and I couldn't see fitting both her and the S in.

(And we'll have no comments about the definition of 'attached', OR about positioning her in the kitchen or any other rooms, thank you very much!)

So, just to be clear, you used the black mastic between all frame and sheet joints/laps during construction.

Then applied etch prime to the outside before riveting (to get primer under rivet heads)?

Then applied etch prime again over rivets and joints?

Was that your sequence?

I am asking as I see many references here as to treatment/paint systems used, but while the materials are specified, the when and where are often ambiguous...

Thanks.

So, just to be clear, you used the black mastic between all frame and sheet joints/laps during construction.Then applied etch prime to the outside before riveting (to get primer under rivet heads)?

I sprayed etch prime on sheet lap underside, and rivet lines and laps on the topside. Then painted black on both lap surfaces and allow to dry. All frame contact and frame sheet contacts are treated with black too. I masked the sheets so it looks a bit neater but I am the only one who has to look at the inside. It did take longer though.

Then build the frame and sheet it, then spray a coat aver the whole piece and the solvent in the top coat blends in the edges of the first coat but it gets primer under you rivet heads.

I used White and Grey in a 50/50 mix because the finish coats are all white.

Edit : I just reread what you typed and think you had it the first time sorry.

Still think you could build the rudder, elevator stabilizer and fin, flaps and ailerons in the lounge room while you are waiting to finish the shed! It will help your wife improve her adaptability and coping strategies. To be fair I used my mother's lounge room not my wife's and she had just moved to town to retire. So I was really only making it so she wouldn't change her mind and want to come back.

I sprayed etch prime on sheet lap underside, and rivet lines and laps on the topside. Then painted black on both lap surfaces and allow to dry. All frame contact and frame sheet contacts are treated with black too. I masked the sheets so it looks a bit neater but I am the only one who has to look at the inside. It did take longer though.Then build the frame and sheet it, then spray a coat aver the whole piece and the solvent in the top coat blends in the edges of the first coat but it gets primer under you rivet heads.

I used White and Grey in a 50/50 mix because the finish coats are all white.

Edit : I just reread what you typed and think you had it the first time sorry.

Still think you could build the rudder, elevator stabilizer and fin, flaps and ailerons in the lounge room while you are waiting to finish the shed! It will help your wife improve her adaptability and coping strategies. To be fair I used my mother's lounge room not my wife's and she had just moved to town to retire. So I was really only making it so she wouldn't change her mind and want to come back.

Nope, I hadn't got it, but I have now, I think. Thanks for your time on that.

And yes, I'm really wanting to get to it...and I certainly notice a pattern here of bungin' up the mother/mother-in-law's place with bits of Sav until Something Has To Be Done. Perhaps I could drag some large partial assemblies in later and festoon them round the lounge for a taste of that authentic flavour....or is that cheating??

Meanwhile, however, the best way to get the shed done is to put my energies there...and it's not too far off now.

Two twenty litre Roundup drums full of water on a wing skin tensioning strap wrapped around the ring mount. I had just towed it by hand nearly a kilometre in 38 degree heat from Mum's lounge room to the hangar. I was really feeling my age by the time it arrived.I am tossing up if I should install the updated nose leg bracket before I put the engine in or just go with it, I did install a galvanised steel reinforcing plate on each side as I built it, but there won't be an easier time.

Why not wait to get something that will become a low-maintenance issue. I wonder how much extra wait the new nose leg bracket is?

I do have a lounge room. However, I also have a wonderfully supportive wife I am most attached to, and while she's not large, neither is the lounge; and I couldn't see fitting both her and the S in.(And we'll have no comments about the definition of 'attached', OR about positioning her in the kitchen or any other rooms, thank you very much!)

So, just to be clear, you used the black mastic between all frame and sheet joints/laps during construction.

Then applied etch prime to the outside before riveting (to get primer under rivet heads)?

Was that your sequence?

I am asking as I see many references here as to treatment/paint systems used, but while the materials are specified, the when and where are often ambiguous...

Thanks.

The two things that seem to be the most variable about different people's Savannahs are (a) the engine; and, (b) the paint system.

I find it difficult to decide. It may be useful for someone to start a Savannah Painting System thread and have everything in one location. There seem to be so many alternative ideas!

• Agree 1

I wonder how much extra wait the new nose leg bracket is?

If you mean "wait" as in time before delivery then Reg usually has them in stock so should be about 3-4 days by expess post bag.

If you mean "weight" as in how much extra does it weigh, I'd reckon about 25 grams, if that.

• Like 2

Why not wait to get something that will become a low-maintenance issue. I wonder how much extra wait the new nose leg bracket is?

Probably 80 grams BUT it is out in front of the CofG. Don't worry I am going to get it and put it on before I mount the engine. Busy busting hay making plant at the moment. Broke two hay rakes in half over the last week-end. Fixing them will take about the same time it would have taken to mount my engine.

If you mean "wait" as in time before delivery then Reg usually has them in stock so should be about 3-4 days by expess post bag.If you mean "weight" as in how much extra does it weigh, I'd reckon about 25 grams, if that.

Reg is twenty minutes up the road, you are probably closer to the weight than me, he still has a couple in stock, I will get one when I pick up my radios.