Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Mark did you get a good look at the ADV Savannah wing on the one at Monto before the last one, I think it was when Tom put Pinkie on public display. I think there is also a CH701 with something similar that we bumped into at Inglewood.

That 701 is now in WA I am told. JG got me the guy who owned it when you saw it to see if he got the Pegastol wing as a kit or a complete set. Will chase it up. Also on the Pegazair forum seeing if I can get a set of plans. It is different but I am pretty sure I can adapt the design for the Sav. I never saw that ADV I know it has some sort of slat arrangement but it is a full one piece set of slat. I like that split slat idea as we know different parts of the wing are affected at different times. I reckon that would make the wing so much safer. It depends on how much extra weight it will all add.

That 701 is now in WA I am told. JG got me the guy who owned it when you saw it to see if he got the Pegastol wing as a kit or a complete set. Will chase it up. Also on the Pegazair forum seeing if I can get a set of plans. It is different but I am pretty sure I can adapt the design for the Sav. I never saw that ADV I know it has some sort of slat arrangement but it is a full one piece set of slat. I like that split slat idea as we know different parts of the wing are affected at different times. I reckon that would make the wing so much safer. It depends on how much extra weight it will all add.

I wonder if you would be able to fit long range tanks to the Pegasus wings?

I spoke to the local owner of that 701 today. He got the Pegastol wing as a kit but he doesnt have any of the paperwork. He is trying to find the number of the guy in WA who bought it...he thinks the guys name is S. T. Liew or something like that if anyone knows him

I spoke to the local owner of that 701 today. He got the Pegastol wing as a kit but he doesnt have any of the paperwork. He is trying to find the number of the guy in WA who bought it...he thinks the guys name is S. T. Liew or something like that if anyone knows him

Hi Mark

I know Siew, the owner of the Pegastol/701 in WA. He lives not too far away from me and I do maintenance on his plane from time to time. I also built the only other Pegastol kit in Aust, unfortunately I also wrecked it. (but that's another story) I still have the assembly book around - maybe! The fuel tanks are roto Moulded poly, I had four tanks in mine, the exta tanks were outboard of the struts.

I'm surprised you're considering building Peg wings for your Sav, last I saw you were sold on a Rans kit? what happened to that?

As JG says in that article, I don't think the Pegasair wing will fit the sav, and to change the front to rear spar measurement would change the wing profile blah blah blah. But building the whole plane would be the go.

The guy that bought the Pegastol rights was in Alaska I think, had his number a long time ago but never spoke to him. He never produced any new kits, just built the last Peg wings. The templates and jigs are probably in his back shed gathering dust. The guy at the start of the video was Giles Boulanger, a director of the company and a WW2 bomber pilot, a legend.

Call me if you want more info or photos ( I think I still have some)

Cheers

Rick

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I originally used the teflon tape on mine but found it had started to leak after about 12 months...only just so I pulled them apart and the red stuff you see on it now is a product called "STAG" its fuel proof and sets sort of hard . Not like glue but it firms up. There has been no leaks now. Stag is a old product for fuel and oil sealing and it works its just a little messy

I originally used the teflon tape on mine but found it had started to leak after about 12 months...only just so I pulled them apart and the red stuff you see on it now is a product called "STAG" its fuel proof and sets sort of hard . Not like glue but it firms up. There has been no leaks now. Stag is a old product for fuel and oil sealing and it works its just a little messy

Thanks for that. I originally bought the 2 block/2 valve (inboard tanks always on) 'standard' setup with the kit. That has some sort of clear red sealant that certainly hangs on, though thinners takes it off. I'll go look for some Stag.

Those Aerokits ones are put together with Loctite so you need to heat it if you want to get it apart without wrecking something. I used my soldering iron shoved up the barb on the fitting when I wanted to get them apart to change the setup. I was unhappy with the tight bends in the hose to line up with the barbs, so added a 90 degree elbow to each and mounted them higher so I can reach them easier.

Thanks again, Steve and Mark.

While I know those outer tanks are going to be a huge asset on occasions, I don't see me using them routinely in NZ. For that reason, I think it's better to be able to run those tanks down, and since I don't like the idea of not being able to see multiple fuel cocks, I'm intending to move all 4 lines to a manifold on the passenger side, as I believe Mark has done.

I'm a very long way off fitting any of this (I just began the fuselage build) but I'm gathering some of the bits for when I do.

Yep, don't know which Loctite that is, but it sticks like the proverbial sh** to a blanket...

• 2 months later...

Time for a update with whats happening to different projects on my Savannah.

The Rotax exhaust system conversion is about to start again. This weekend I hope to mod my bottom cowl mold so I can get a new one made that will fit over the new exhaust system so I can go and trial it. So hopefully next week the base cowl will be done and I can then modify it to suit the new system which has been completed a fair while ago. Just had too many projects happening

I have spent the last couple of months getting my new CNC milling machine designed and fitted with electronics and software and now its all finally working well.IMG_4071.JPG.172ace26b88d29e4e144117b7e5722c5.JPG

The next project is fitting a ballistic chute to the girlfriend. I have settled on the chute got the price now just trying to get past all the crap to try to import it with the dangerous goods issues of getting rocket powered equipment freighted to Australia....what a drama it all is and expensive as well. The costs just to freight it and get the import done will double the cost of the chute.

The latest bit I have been working on with some pressure from others is to make a better Rotax ignition module. Those who have the failing modules will be well aware they are 1600 bucks each to replace. I have made a new pcb and uprated all the components which fail in the units. Many have been taken apart and we have found out what failures they are and I have redesigned the specs so that should not happens again. These new components have higher current and voltage specifications. I have laid out a new pcb and built one so far which has been run in a test jig that has been running a set of Rotax coils and 4 sparkplugs. The module was then fitted to a in aircraft engine and used to start and run it on the ground. I potted it into a 3D printed box that uses the same footprint as the original modules so they can be easily replaced although you will need longer bolts as my units a little thicker due to slightly larger components. Tomorrow we will fit it to a aircraft and actually go flying with it and it will stay on it. I have another board revision to do just for track gapping and once they are made and tested on the jig they will be fitted to another aircraft and also my aircraft and we will be flying with them so a total of 3 aircraft testing them.

As another project a ignition module monitor is being designed and made with a in cockpit simple display to monitor ANY ignition module so that why you are fling you should be able to see if your ignition system is getting weaker or stops working during you flight and most do not know of any failure until next time you start your engine. If you get a failure of one you can then make a decision of what your next action or decision on what you will do. This should be able to be fitted to any aircraft including GA as it will have NO direct connection to your ignition system so will not contravene any rules

I will be making new throttle bar blocks with the CNC machine. The originals that come with the kit are total crap. This will actually fit the main bar and be the right size so will not have to be packed with washers. These blocks will also be able to replace the end alu brackets at each end of the bar. These alu brackets wear out very fast and you end up with lots of slop in the throttle bar. Also Savannah nose leg extension blocks if anyone wants to get a bit more prop clearance if you want. I have made a couple which I have been making to test the CNC machine.

IMG_4082.jpg.393d7529d251aa8ffce28403e8e4330c.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg.7f12b9fd60d9ee45ec8adafe997f7b6a.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg.3b8f2a8c416b32fbcc498fc3c369354d.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg.1fe446af3d41f408d861f9240cfc6fda.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg.ca802b3a9a256753ef7bb0b905ca711a.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg.4014819a8fe52ece5ce52f70c34d8b7e.jpg

IMG_3460.jpg.15c7a03064ad6b37996acece4757a18a.jpg

IMG_4070.JPG.82d2325f84cccfacb031a28671476771.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG.fa9150585e489d5756ef4278f9edc5b8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Wow Mark, you have been busy!

I think you could easily have an improvement market for RA-Aus planes. I think that a beefed up version of the Rotax ignition system is a good idea. From memory, someone came a cropper at Kilcoy a few years ago when their Rotax ignition circuitry fried.

I also like your much-improved flaps handle: far better for taller Savannah pilots! Are you thinking of bringing them into production? I am pretty sure that I am (finally) going to construct a Savannah in 2017. It has been quite a wait but it'll be worth it. I may be in the market for such a new-and-improved flap handle 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif should you decide to manufacture them.

Sorry to hear that the freight cost of a parachute is so extreme. Again, there would be a fantastic market for anyone who could make them in Oz simply because of the freight barrier from overseas. By the way, what ballistic parachute are you getting?

abiutI also wonder whatever happened to the spring-operated ballistic parachute that was being developed by someone in Victoria? I understand that it was going to be weight limited to a maximum of 544 kg but, with a bit of a design stretch, this must be able to be extended to 600 kg?

The idea of a non-rocket, spring loaded ballistic chute sounded pretty good to me. Apparently, so the rumour went, the spring loaded chute was only 2 or 3 kg heavier than the equivalent rocket-powered BRS.

Has anyone heard more about the spring-loaded ballistic parachute development?

(This is an important question because my dear wife would like me to put a ballistic chute in the Savannah when I build it)

Hi Hank

The older pre soft start Rotax modules fail regularly now and they are just outrageous in cost so we have thought to reinvent the wheel sort of at a much lower price. ALTHOUGH "For ground use and testing purposes only" will be embossed on the unit to make sure there are no liability issues as you make the decision if you want to fly with it. Obviously not for any certified engines but there are several "gurus" overseeing this project and they are very comfortable with what has been done.

I wanted a ballistic chute with rocket as I believe most issues if any would occur in the circuit or around the circuit. A rocket powered chute can save you from about 150 metres AGL but a spring chute substantially higher. I dont have any issues with the structural integrety of the Sav its like on the road...you have to cater for the other idiots out there

The original chute fitted by ICP is a Magnum/Junkers. I chased the guy up a few years ago and when I got back to him he didnt do it anymore but he did give me the manufacturer so I contacted them. I looked at BRS but just could not justify the 10k to my door for the just the chute. I have a price from GalaxySky who make the Magnum chutes and with all the strap etc and the chute it work out to about 3700 BUT will probably cost at least the same amount to get it freighted and customs and licences to import but if I could land it for 6k I would be very happy

I hadnt actually thought of making the flap brackets and selling them. I have a drawing done up for them and could get them lasercut easily although I want to put a extra slot in it. I think first stage should be a bit less then another stage sort of half way then keep the full flap position to make it 3 stage instead of 2 stage. Its easily done so thats another good idea.

I dont have enough hours in the day now it seems.

I work 4 days a week for a mate designing specific electronic equipment for the swimming pool industry. Saltwater pool chlorinators which we are OEM and rebadge for quite a few companys we also export them to a few companys in Europe. Also am developing new a addon for PH and ORP control of the chlorinator itself and a also a energy magagement system with wifi and IP control of all the functions. We actually manufacture pretty much everything where I work so we are a pround company who still manufactures in Australia and are doing extremely well. To the point next year we are looking at getting our own injection molding machines as that is the only thing we have to rely on outside sourcing. We do get the circuit boards assembled in China as no one can beat the price here by miles, The metal heatsink comes from China as no one here can inject metal to the quality and price we want. The electrode material comes in from the USA which we cut and assemble and tig weld and pot in epoxy. Injection molding is done up at the sunshine coast for the covers and electrode housings and caps. All the injection mold designs have been done in house where we work and then sent to china to get made. The molds were then sent back here so we can inject them here. The next step is to get our own injection machines. There are only 2 of us doing all this design and organising the boss and myself. He does all the mech design and I handle all the electronics and we collaborate on all aspects of this. It proves it can all be done well here in Australia if you have the drive and conviction to design and make good products...AND make a profit

A couple of other projects I am working on is a better intercom with the ability to add extra radios and mobile phones to that has noise cancelling especially for aircraft like trikes which have the engine blaring right behind your head. Got to get back to my simplex repeater which I have been very dissapointed with but I think I have found the answer to the intermittant operation it was having. We went to use the antenna I had installed at our repeater site for another service and was having issues with it as well. Turns out a brand new antenna was intermittant but not fully open circuit so all the mucking around I had with what I thought was interference or power supply or radio interfacing issues looks like something else so soon hopefully I can get the time to get back to it and it it operational again

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm highly impressed with your building ignition modules; dread the day when I have to replace one of mine. I like the idea of retrofitting the "soft start" feature, are you building that in.

I'd hunted around a bit for one of the aftermarket Bullyhawk ones but they stopped making those a long time ago.

Peter

I am in contact with a guy in South Africa who has done a softstart to be added to a std older Rotax module like I am making. The later Motorini soft start module fitted to the later engines like mine are somewhat different. The pickup coils on the flywheel are a little different for using the softstart capability of the new style modules and these modules are the only ones supplied by Rotax now. I have been searching the world for one of these "new" modules but to date have not found one to get a look at. I am not sure how they are doing it but with the newer engines you can either enable or not use the soft start on the new modules and of course the new module on the older engine you just do not enable the softstart

Do you have any weight data on the various chutes suitable for the Savannah?

I take your point about needing one for a low altitude situation. What worries me most is a mid-air bingle.

A friend of a friend lost her life in such an event: Crash report 'singled daughter out'

Once one of your wings rip off, there are basically no options unless you have a ballistic chute to help you save your skin. If such a chute requires quite a bit of altitude, it defeats the purpose.

• Agree 1

The Magnum chute will add 13.5kg to the airframe. Circuit heights of 1000ft are pretty low so you still have to activate it pretty quick to deploy but at least there is a chance of saving you. At higher altitudes of course there is a better margin thats why a rocket powered chute is the better option

Well what a pain the backside. Turned up this morning to fit the ignition module and test fly it in Danny's aircraft and there are half a million people and old cars all over the place and stacked up in front of Danny's hangar so we couldnt get in. I dont recall the event even being on and neither did Danny or Roger. So we spent the time over in Rogers hangar being like an old mens shed spewing about not be able to do it. Anyway some planning was done on mods and testing and other projects we have in the pipeline so it wasnt a total loss for the day. Next weekend will be busy I am tied up on the friday and Childers breakfast is on saturday which I hope to take my Mrs to for her second flight in my Sav so hopefully we are all free on the sunday and we can do it then.

Saw your car there it was either going to be Watts or Monduran I thought. Steve Donald went I see...he messaged me when he flew over the farm to see if I was at the farm. Was piss#d off with not being able to flight test the module but the day wasnt a total loss. Maybe Childers next saturday Geoff we will catch up there