Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

I have been asked about my modified flap bracket I use on my Sav. I am looking at getting some lasercut if people are interested. I will be making a new set for my aircraft as I have modified the flap stage settings. There are now 3 stages instead of 2 stages. First flap is a little less than the original first stage then second stage is a little more than the original first stage and full flap remains the same. The angle of the flap handle is quite different as well. Here is the video I did when I first made it . These ones will be cut from 6061T6 and folded with a 5mm inside bend to keep the structural integrety of the alu. There will be no mounting holes on the bottom as it is better for you to assemble everything place it in position and then mark and drill then rivet it in place

512521539_savannahflap2.jpg.7fecbd993f828eac0eb3b08659c17668.jpg

785291023_savannahflap4stage-1.jpg.026aa8bd6e9bfc7c44db45d02d68044b.jpg

1616226392_savannahflap4stage.jpg.af4188ac29dd84b4e1b8d17ecee085b7.jpg

• Like 2

Emailing off the file tomorrow so should know the price later this week will depend of course on the quantity but the guys we use for our stuff at work are very good on price. We have a CNC folder at work so will setup the folder to bend the brackets that way they are all exactly the same and correct size. I am drawing up the throttle bar brackets at the moment but I can make them here on my CNC. When you get to fitting the ones supplied in the kit you will know what I am talking about Bob. They are crap...well you have a alu one at either end and a nylon one for support in the middle which you have to pack up because it doesnt fit. These blocks you can use at both ends as well also you can mount them with bolts so you can get the bar out without trying to drill out the rivets on the alu brackets that one the top deck sheet goes on makes it impossible almost to drill out the rivets

Emailing off the file tomorrow so should know the price later this week will depend of course on the quantity but the guys we use for our stuff at work are very good on price. We have a CNC folder at work so will setup the folder to bend the brackets that way they are all exactly the same and correct size. I am drawing up the throttle bar brackets at the moment but I can make them here on my CNC. When you get to fitting the ones supplied in the kit you will know what I am talking about Bob. They are crap...well you have a alu one at either end and a nylon one for support in the middle which you have to pack up because it doesnt fit. These blocks you can use at both ends as well also you can mount them with bolts so you can get the bar out without trying to drill out the rivets on the alu brackets that one the top deck sheet goes on makes it impossible almost to drill out the rivets

I'm a fair way off that yet...work is getting in the way at present...but I'm hearing what you say, and most interested in those too.

Please let me know when you have prices?

Here is the new throttle block I will trial, just fin ished drawing it up. No packing washers required and also more solid to sit on and the bar should rotate nicely inside it. There is another the same that goes on the top of course

1116023207_ScreenShot2016-10-31at7_11_06PM.jpg.9b009ed5b3e728373db7b72abb8d4154.jpg

Nice.

In the real (work) world as I know it, there are always financial constraints, and that's okay. But it's then important knowing which bits you can trim off without compromising the end result.

Looks and sounds like that bit needs untrimming...)

I have been asked about my modified flap bracket I use on my Sav. I am looking at getting some lasercut if people are interested. I will be making a new set for my aircraft as I have modified the flap stage settings. There are now 3 stages instead of 2 stages. First flap is a little less than the original first stage then second stage is a little more than the original first stage and full flap remains the same. The angle of the flap handle is quite different as well. Here is the video I did when I first made it . These ones will be cut from 6061T6 and folded with a 5mm inside bend to keep the structural integrety of the alu. There will be no mounting holes on the bottom as it is better for you to assemble everything place it in position and then mark and drill then rivet it in place

I may be one of your foundation customers. If you have them made by December, I will be in BNE to pick one up: no pressure:cheezy grin:. If they aren't too heavy, I could take iBob's one as I believe he lives in the same region in NZ as myself.

That will be my first part towards my 2017 Savannah build!

Hi Mark. I live down the road from Bob. (ibob) Interested in your re-jigged flap bracket. Are you able to post a dimensioned drawing so that I can make my own? If not, I may be keen on obtaining a set thru you. Cheers. Perry

The drawings are done in a 3D modelling program. Waiting on a price as I emailed the file off to the laser guys this morning so hopefully will come today. These guys we use are very sharp on their pricing so to be honest it will be cheaper to use the premade ones probably. I am not sticking anything on top of them just the freight will be split across the amount I get thats all so they should be pretty cheap. I have to bend mine so once I set the CNC is setup I can do 40 in the blink of an eye. I have like 10 plus orders for them already so thats 20 plus units

Just got the price back for the brackets...really cheap BUT they can only do them in 5005 temper. I am not sure how different that will be from 6061. I know the 6061 is hard and is actually extruded not rolled. I looked at a comparison table and there really isnt a lot of difference. ...I can get them to do it if I supply the alu sheet but it needs to be a full 1200 x 2400 sheet of 1.6mm thickness. Been searching around...cant seem to find any in Brisbane

Measured the original here it is 1.6mm and thats the size in Danny's S he is rebuilding. Actually Dan looks like he might have a 1200 x 1200 sheet....should be able to get about 32 brackets from that so thats 16 sets...got orders for 10 sets now. The laser mob has a minimum charge so depends on what the sheet costs but I still reckon I should be able to get a set done for about 25 or 30 bucks for the pair

• Like 3

Measured the original here it is 1.6mm and thats the size in Danny's S he is rebuilding. Actually Dan looks like he might have a 1200 x 1200 sheet....should be able to get about 32 brackets from that so thats 16 sets...got orders for 10 sets now. The laser mob has a minimum charge so depends on what the sheet costs but I still reckon I should be able to get a set done for about 25 or 30 bucks for the pair

Hello Mark;

Be sure to count me in; I'll have to get some guidance from you regarding paying for them and the shipping to Nova Scotia.

All the best, fly safely,

Canada Dan

Hello Mark;

I have just confirmed a failed ignition module on my 912 UL - I have the older original style (4-pin plug connecting the 4 trigger coils and 5 separate wires as follows: 1 wire from the stator generator coil; 1 wire from the mag kill switch; 1 ground wire and 2 wires that go to the primary side of the spark plug coils. (photo attached)

Clearly, it would be of great interest to me to have another source for a "test" module purchase.1845293324_201610(27).JPG.dec8288945d032dd37d40ea04d5b8c29.JPG

Would you be interested in including one (or two?) of these when you send me the new flap brackets? I am eager to discuss this with you.

All the best, fly safely,

Canada Dan

......my bad..... the four wires in the plastic plug connect TWO of the four trigger coils to one module - the other two trigger coils are (of course) connected similarly to the OTHER ignition module.

Canada Dan

Hi Don

We are still testing 2 units at the moment. I will have a new pcb revision next week which will be the production version. Sorting your plugs is no issue as the wires are the same you just dont use all of them thats all. Currently the units are potted into 3D printed cases as I am waiting some special extra long 4 flute cutters for my CNC machine. I will be making the boxes on my CNC out of nylon so they will be much more heat resistant and stronger. Pic attached of printing the latest box shape. It is smaller now and closer to the same size as the original

Tomorrow I am taking a 8x4 sheet of 1.6mm 6061T6 sheet to the laser cutters to start getting the flap brackets done. They should be ready later next week as well then just need to setup the CNC folder here at work to bend the brackets and they will be ready to send out

IMG_4133.jpg.490b239c35ed68e5b1d50f7a9af6f1ca.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg.80cda055b7119aa1ad034a7bb9aedfca.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg.eb89287ea0b17e7ea4066fd09846a0cf.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg.810c174b86a35e102d7cc8940405bb68.jpg

• Like 1

Tomorrow I am taking a 8x4 sheet of 1.6mm 6061T6 sheet to the laser cutters to start getting the flap brackets done. They should be ready later next week as well then just need to setup the CNC folder here at work to bend the brackets and they will be ready to send out

Fantastic Mark. I will see you next month to pick up one (or two if iBob would like one) in Brisbane.

G'day Dan, from the look of it, the module you have is a very early one, the module Mark is experimenting with probably wont work with your pickups and coils. I replaced my old modules recently, it involved replacing the whole ignition, pickups, coils and modules.

Unfortunately the later model second hand modules I got for replacements only lasted a matter of months before they required warming up before the engine would fire.

I still have the old modules, I replaced them because I thought that the insulation on the wires had become too hard. There is fair bit work involved in setting up a whole new ignition system.

Interesting note, Rotax 618. I think before I sank that kind of money into my old 80 hp 912, I'd be looking around for other engine options....the Rotax prices are impossible to justify. $3,200.00 Canadian Dollars for two new modules; $350.00 apiece for four coils. I resent the 22 dollars for an oil filter!

Not to be dissuaded, however; are your old modules the same as mine and, if so, would you care to part with them? My part numbers are 966 359 (which Rotax now replaces with 965 446).

Anyway, on with the quest for modules....

Mark, I have rounded up five used modules - two of which were changed due to hardened wire coatings, one which was changed to solve a problem that did not reside with the module, and a couple that have broken wires which (it appears) were unsuccessfully soldered and re-covered with shrink tube. All these are one of the three newer styles (966 724; 966 728 or 966 729) - each now replaced by Rotax with - respectively - 965 440; 965 442 or 965 444. ne

Here's my questions: Do you have a wiring diagram for these modules that illustrates the intended destination of the wires that emerge from the original boxes?

If so; are you willing to share it?

Is there a simple multimeter test for the often-failed condenser that resides inside these boxes?

If so, would you be willing to share it?

All the best; fly safely.

Canada Dan

Dan

I have had no experience with the older 4 wire modules. I was under the belief that the 6 wire ones could be used to replace them but Tom is very knowledgable with this stuff so I cant tell you at this stage but I will make some further enquiries about it.

I dont have any info on the 4 wire units wiring but can find it out for you.

The 6 wire units you can test the capacitor with a good capacitance meter so I would think the 4 wire should be able to as well

My modules do not just have autowire coming out of them like the Rotax ones do I am using proper Tefzel aircraft wire so that hardening and cracking should never be an issue. The latest one currently on the test jig is done in 18G Tefzel and that is what I am going to be using on them as it is just a far better wire. That wire breaking issue is also found here a lot

Mark

G'day Dan, I will take my old ignition setup up to Mark next week, maybe he and Roger (an expert friend) may be able to assess their usefulness for your purpose, if they recon they would be safe enough, make an offer and we could send the whole setup to you. They were working perfectly when they were replaced, and if the newer ignition hadnt become available they would still be in use.

Cheers Tom.