Airfield restaurant - Melbourne area

Hi all,

Are there any airfields with restaurants/cafes in the Melbourne area? I know Tooradin used to have a restaurant but it closed for a while and I don't know if it's reopened or not - has it? Are there any other fields with restaurants/cafes?

Cheers

Guest davidh10

There's a nice cafe within walking distance of Mount Beauty ALA.

Not quite Melbourne area.

Expensive Latte

Planning to use my new piece of paper to take some people out for lunch :big_grin:

There's a nice cafe within walking distance of Mount Beauty ALA.Not quite Melbourne area.

Victoria area is also an option, was only thinking Melbourne because planning to do a couple of flights around the bay. Definitely going to do some flights around parts of Vic though, so thanks

Guest davidh10
...Victoria area is also an option, was only thinking Melbourne because planning to do a couple of flights around the bay. Definitely going to do some flights around parts of Vic though, so thanks

There's always free tea and coffee at YYWG and you can purchase drinks and nibbles, but it isn't a cafe. Just Google "hangar 19 yarrawonga".

Come up to Archerfield... got a choice of Mcdonalds, Hungry Jacks, and a cafe all with-in walking distance! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Wings and Fins at Tooradin has reopened from my understanding.. New owner is not fond of the little black pebbes in the Risotto .lol

highly recommended. Give Tooradin school a call and they can give you the updates.

Bacchus Marsh came out top for convenience on the last query.

I'm not too keen on Bacchus Marsh at the moment! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I don't want to tempt fate by going back there, I don't think they'll let me hire again if I bend another one...

Hi all,Are there any airfields with restaurants/cafes in the Melbourne area? I know Tooradin used to have a restaurant but it closed for a while and I don't know if it's reopened or not - has it? Are there any other fields with restaurants/cafes?

Cheers

Hi Darky

1. The restaurant at Tooradin is going gang-busters at the moment. I was down there last weekend and they have a good menu with plenty of seafoods on offer. Take your ASIC in with you and you get the pilot discount, too!

2. Brown Bros is good but phone first,

3. Shepparton aero club puts on lunch each Saturday... nothing very flash but always a nice meal and very reasonable price in good company

4. Echuca does one Sunday per months but you will need to check with them to find out when.

5. Lethbridge also does a basic lunch and I think this happens every Saturday.... again, you will need to check with them.

6. Barwon Heads... call them?

7. Tyabb airfield is only a few minutes walk from the township and there are numerous places to eat at any day of the week. The aero club there is always friendly and you might get to see some really interesting aircraft.

8. And if you check with Coldstream, they have regular competition days on which they do a huge BBQ meal for everyone as well. Several of us regularly head off to other places for a quick bite. Give a call and drop in there and say "hi".

kaz

Hi Darky,

There is a motel with restaurant that backs onto the airfield at Tyabb.... also a couple of options in the town which is walking distance.

http://www.peninsulamotorinn.com.au/

This one is my fav ... just a short walk from Philip Island airport

http://www.dutchiesrestaurant.com.au/Dutchies/home.html

Cheers

Vev

Plus http://www.tuki.com.au/?id=airfieldinformation/ after you've tried the others (for practice - its a one way strip up the hill for landing and down for departure). Don't forget that the school's Ops Manual has a policy and limitations on the use of ALAs for their aircraft. I wouldn't let anyone take my aeroplane into Coldstream or Philip Island.

Some-one told me that Barwon Heads was going to be less welcoming of visitors in future - a pity as the regular Sunday BBQ is very pleasant. Latrobe Valley generally has a BBQ lunch on a Sunday too.

Kyneton's Biggest Morning Tea later this month.

I flew up to Bendigo today. Great sealed airstrips and very friendly people at the aeroclub. They have a competition first Sunday each month and usually do a BBQ with it.

Cobden also has comps first Sunday and a BBQ but call first.

kaz

Theres also the yarrawood estate just to the north of Lilydale on the melba hwy... Google earth shows a landing strip just east of some grape vines (appears to have white markers to help it stand out).. It also appears the next paddock over to the east has two strips in it too.... Never been there but for someone closer like you, itd be worth a look... http://www.yarrawood.com.au/The menu is on the website too under cafe in the menu (quick link: http://www.yarrawood.com.au/1_cellardoor.html)

I think the strips you are looking at are both private strips on adjoining properties and are not connected to yarrawood which is on the opposite (east) side of the Melba Highway.

kaz

Hi Darky, this thread remines me of doing some research on setting up a Aeroplane themed , Cafe / restaurant /drinking place.I was just muking around one day.Anyway there are some fantastic places in the USA.Bit far to fly from Victoria 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif.Anyway I think Australia is maybe to small for there set up.Which is a pity.But as the other guys have mentioned there are places.

Anyway Darky, I've totaled up the hours for our collective advice and come to two conclusions:

1. When a lawyer asks a question she needs to make it very precise. I know a nice restaurant in Flagstaff Arizona right by the airfield

2. The hours at $375.00 add up to $17,372.26 plus phone expenses of $360.00 - where do we send the bill?

Guest Wigg
I forgot about the restaurant at West Sale http://www.runwaysedge.com.au/

Thanks DJP I have never been to it but have heard about it, can never remember if it is East or West Sale. Darky the one at Mt Beauty is really nice, & the sceney up there is great. We had a fly in long weekend up there, sat on our balconies & overlooked the whole valley. If you have your PPL the Wings cafe just behind Royal Vic at Moorabbin is really good as well or park the plane & DFO has a good range of eateries. Sue