New Jabiru

petetheprinta

I was heading west past Tara a few weeks back and made a transiting call at ten miles passing to the south of Tara strip when a RFDS plane called me requesting my exact position as he was taking off towards me. I gave a more precise gps position at around 3 nm at 6500ft and I could see him on the taxiway at Tara when he said to me, "yep I've got you on the tcas now, thanks for that". It was reassuring to know that I was in fact visible to him, but also reinforced the importance of transiting calls, even when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

Guest Maj Millard

I always make position calls when I'm cross-country, especially on my normal commute between T ownsville and Shute Harbour. Often you feel like your talking to yourself, but often traffic will respond that you didn't know was there.

I was taught to do it often when training in California, where if you don't,

you die !.

Usually making a position report will kick off others in the area to do the same.

It's always nice to know the rescue 412 chopper is out there cruising around somewhere, and he can turn up anytime, anywhere at any altitude !

VFR position reports are free, and it shows good airmanship to make them.........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

My Jab isn't that old but I would like to replace the strobe and landing light with LED. I would love to replace the strobe as the radio is affected by all this power drain. I guess having the skyview helps the drain as well.

Guest OwenC

A TCAS unit will interrogate another transponder.

PCAS will only show the other aircraft if it is in radar coverage.

No point having PCAS in a remote area as it simply won't work!!! (hence the large cost difference)

Guest Maj Millard

Extended warranty....nows that's funny !!!!!.......008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guys, Petetheprinta has already bought his jab (by the sounds) so why come here and start the jab bashing? How about leaving at least one Jab thread alone!

• Like 1

A good point thirsty. If we do this sort of thing, It will deter some from asking perfectly reasonable questions. Let's not have the thin skinned bit, IF one objects. I don't have a Jabiru, but I've flown them and instructed in them, and would continue to do so if the opportunity arose. They are quite a good school aircraft and they get good factory support. Just having an engine failure doesn't ring any bells for me. You need to know why. Nev

• Like 1

I work on and fly jabs primarily and we have our issues as well. I usually agree that Jab could do better but there are threads for those discussions. It's just annoying that the regular jab bashers spout this stuff everywhere including threads like this one where it really isn't constructive in any way.

Sorry for jumping in Pete - back to your new jab now :)

Guest Maj Millard

Thirsty, This is not the primary jab discussion site. You have already requested we leave the other one to jab jockies only , and we have done so. Not every Jab discussion is a 'Jab site'. Petatheprinta asked for all opinions, not just Jab owner ones, and he thanked us all for our imput. (post #21..Thank you all for your imput) This was a general discussion on equipping a cockpit, which could be applicable to any aircraft..not just Jabs. You guys seem just a little sensitive to any critisism, and I have to wonder why ?...........basically it is you guys who are riding shotgun on our discussions...If you can't handle the heat, get out of the damn kitchen !.................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Good on you mate for not taking any notice of those guys. I like Jabs and will continue to fly and fix them. I have nothing against any of the other makes either I just like to support Aussie made stuff.

I bet you can't wait to get your hands on your new baby?

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for that opinion petatheprinta, at least it is open and not totally biased, which is really what this open-discussion type forum is all about.......

Do not assume however that we 'Jab knockers' don't know anything about Jabs. As an active L2 and Lame we probabily get more imput on them than the average owner, that's why we complain. There have been more meaningfull improvements on the jab models in the last 12 months than in the last 10 years, because of us (not owners) making a noise! Your new aircraft will be a better product because of it............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks for that opinion petatheprinta, at least it is open and not totally biased, which is really what this open-discussion type forum is all about.......Do not assume however that we 'Jab knockers' don't know anything about Jabs. As an active L2 and Lame we probabily get more imput on them than the average owner, that's why we complain. There have been more meaningfull improvements on the jab models in the last 12 months than in the last 10 years, because of us (not owners) making a noise! Your new aircraft will be a better product because of it............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

And I thank you for that, keep up the good work.

Thanks for watching my back fellas, I don't mind the jab bashers, It has been my experience that many, but not all, know nothing about Jabs other than hearsay.

Good on you Pete and congratulations on the purchase of a fine aircraft . As has been stated elsewhere the Jab engine is , like many others , still " a work in progress " , and the improvements done recently have been significant in improving their reliability . The people at Jabiru are commited to further improvement and generally respond positively to input from informed and well researched sources . Unfortunately any large concern like Jabiru will have a few unhappy customers for a variety of reasons , and that appears to be a fact of life . I now have 230 hours on my 2200 engine manufactured in 2008 ,and are about to leave on my 4th, trip to North Qld . Keep the engine cool and give it plenty of Avgas - as recommended by Jabiru .

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, If you take the time to go back to petetheprintas' first post (#1), you will see that his general question was what were necessary options that he could fit to his new aircraft. He specifcally mentions strobes, transponder, pinstripes etc. These could of course be applicable to any new aircraft, as his enquiry was very general in nature. Then the discussion went onto Transponders, TCAS, PCAS etc. all valuable stuff. Petetheprinta states a couple of times that he was very pleased with all the responses, so we have served him well in that respect which is what this site is all about and well known for.

The primary 'Jab discussion site' that is referred to is probabily the one back in Oct entitled 'How to improve the reliability of the 6 cyl Jab' (86 replies) which is now #4 on the list in the Jab type site.

It appears any discussion about Jabs gets put into this listing, just like any discussion on students seems to get pigeon-holed into 'Student pilot and learning support'. I don't see this one as primarily about Jabs, more like what to put on panels for increased safety.........

Biggles, In reference to your comment about the Jab engine being 'a work in progress '(sic!) ..I'm sure glad Rolls Royce didn't take 20 going on 25 years to perfect the Merlin during WW2 !..................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

David you'll get used to it......the old story, try and offer constructive critism which would help everybody in the long term, and there you go..........over sensitive ?, Nooooooooooooooo !..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

"Frank, If you take the time to go back to petetheprintas' first post (#1), you will see that his general question was what were necessary options that he could fit to his new aircraft"

You said it yourself. I just don't think that comment re: jab engines was warranted or helpful.

Guest Maj Millard

Well thirsty, sorry for that. However we all are kind of light-hearted here on the forum, and Davids comment about 'extended warranty' was pretty funny !...................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Dexter of Destiny Flyer fame fitted LED strobes recently, he put up a post about them.If I was getting a new Jabiru I would be asking for an alternative engine to the Jab one; except you know what the answer will be. I would not trust a Jab engine under any circumstances for anything except local flying and there is no way I would fly into a remote area with one, their failure rate is shameful. I had an associate with a brand new J230 and the engine failed and had to be rebuilt at 100 hours and he still had to pay a substantial amount and that is only one example of many similar failures.

Maybe you could ask for an extended warranty on the engine ... good luck.

David

Comments like this are not helpful - and generalisation is dangerous. We have 3 Jab's - 160, 2 x 230s, with a combined 1,400 hours in the past year. We have done little work on them other than routine (but correct and full) servicing. Our sister school at Orange has done over 4,000 hours in 3 160s over several years and has had the same experience as us.

And, yes, I do know there are also plenty of examples of issues out there, but the number of Jabs in service is very large - much larger than any other Rec aircraft - which in turn means more reports of problems in absolute terms.

• Like 2

Enough...Guys 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif...please, opinions are derived from each individuals own experiences.

The Opening Post was "I was wondering what are your thoughts on NECESSARY options" and that user owns the thread

Thread closed

• Like 2