Aerial photography discussion and brag thread

Hi Justin,I am very interested in aerial photography but have virtually no experience with professional cameras like yours. I fly an aerochute which is a perfect platform for photography and have taken some photo’s but just with cheapie cameras and phones. Not really good results so I bit the bullet the other day and bought a Canon EOS 60D with an EF 70-200 f4L IS USM lens. All I need now is to know how to use it. I have been playing around with it and seeing what it can do but these are some complex pieces of equipment. Can you let me know what mode you shoot in and what effects you look for so I can have some idea as to where to start. Do you use the full auto settings like sport setting or just go full manual. Do you use auto focus or just set the lens to manual and leave the focus on infinity so it does not chase focus on everything but what you want. Hard to find any info about this style of photography on the internet, Most photographers use a nice stable platform or tripod. Being on a moving platform must limit some of these setting.

John

A few basic tips: Learn your camera well so you can operate it easily, including advanced settings. On my Nikon I usually use the Shutter Priority Mode and set the fastest possible shutter speed for the given lighting while keeping ISO low enough (below 600). Most importantly - Practice! Hope that helps.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took this one with my old cheesy Sony A100 through the curving canopy of a vans RV4, so it can be done. It's Shiprock in Northwest New Mexico.

Oh, I've climbed that...............in my dreams. Nice shot.

• Like 1

A few basic tips: Learn your camera well so you can operate it easily, including advanced settings. On my Nikon I usually use the Shutter Priority Mode and set the fastest possible shutter speed for the given lighting while keeping ISO low enough (below 600). Most importantly - Practice! Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tips Justin.

Slowly getting a handle on the camera. It has been so windy here lately that I have plenty of time to learn.

John

Guest Maj Millard

Justin, The clarity of your shots is impressive !. have you got that new Drifter up and running yet ?............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Justin, The clarity of your shots is impressive !. have you got that new Drifter up and running yet ?............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Maj ! Oh yeah, I've got 12 hours on her. 2 Engine failures so far though......So I haven't been doing a lot of quality aerial photography lately. Details in my blog and post in the drifter thread.

Guest davidh10

I've finally finished editing the video from my "First Flight of 2012", so as promised somewhere else (I forget where!!), here it is... in full 1080P HD.

It was a group flight from Yarrawonga to Albury, landing and then after departing, we flew over Lake Hume (no comments from the peanut gallery, please). Then three of us formed into a Vee for the flight back to Yarrawonga, overflying Rutherglen and Corowa Aerodrome and Lake Mulwala on the way.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Great pics, who's going to tell me, how to "upload a file (picture)".Thanks Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Click the upload a file button, a box opens, you put the file name in it, click open and as long as the file isn't too large your done.

Regards Bill

• 1 month later...

Justin,to me! your photography (for want of a better word), is Brilliant.

When you are over some of those magnificent looking rocky areas, that I love so much! Do you ever get concerned that the engine might stop making the fan go around....Just wondering!

Frank.

• Like 1

Justin,to me! your photography (for want of a better word), is Brilliant.When you are over some of those magnificent looking rocky areas, that I love so much! Do you ever get concerned that the engine might stop making the fan go around....Just wondering!

Frank.

Thanks Farri !

Well, it has quit before. That's part of the price you might pay. I simply do my best to minimize the risk through preventative maintenence, and I always try to have a "way out" if possible. Although it's not always possible and I understand this. It's all about balancing the risk VS. Reward. Any pilot that thinks they can completely eliminate the risk is confused and in denial.

• Like 2

Thanks Farri ! I always try to have a "way out" if possible. Although it's not always possible and I understand this. It's all about balancing the risk VS. Reward.

012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Frank.

Make sure whatever you paste in ends in .jpeg and that your photobucket gallery is open to the public generally.

EDIT: I see the link does end in .jpg... and obviously not the latter.... also make sure you are looking at the image as you would in its full view from the gallery (not just a thumbnail or in your own profile etc)

Make sure whatever you paste in ends in .jpeg and that your photobucket gallery is open to the public generally.EDIT: I see the link does end in .jpg... so maybe just the latter.... also make sure you are looking at the image as you would in its full view from the gallery (not just a thumbnail or in your own profile etc)

Hi Tex,

Just checked that and it is public. The way I did it was to open the pic then just copy and paste after clicking on the tree to open the add url box. I see there is a share tab in photobucket which offers the option to to post to website and you can add text or it has another tab "get link code"

I will try that, hopefully I can get it up in the preview before I post this time. I never know whether it will actually show the pic in the preview bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif

Thanks

Regards Bill