Finally bought myself a new toy

Congratulations IanR, but I'm craving photos of this wonderful machine.Pud

Pud - I will put up photos and details as soon as its sitting here. Has an interesting history including being shot up by a FW190 !!

• Like 2

I have finally done it - bought a 1944 Auster MK V

When I get my WWll WLA Harley back on the road, I'll get some photos of your plane and mine together. I'm going to get a collection of photos of my WWll bike with WWll planes and call it "Veterans Together"

I know a good maintenance organisation at Camden.029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

OME

When I get my WWll WLA Harley back on the road, I'll get some photos of your plane and mine together. I'm going to get a collection of photos of my WWll bike with WWll planes and call it "Veterans Together"I know a good maintenance organisation at Camden.029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

OME

That would be good - same era !!

And yes - I will be getting it maintained by you guys !

• Helpful 1

• 5 months later...

I may have thought a few weeks - its taken almost 6 months - but the new family member arrived at its new home in Camden on Friday after flying down from Redcliffe - it was worth the wait.

091521.jpg.f9f5d16cf4ebc8afab5f2053a7f946a8.jpg

• Like 5

Well done Ian, congrats on getting her home. What engine is she equipped with and who did your airframe work for you. We will have to get my young girl J1B (1951), with your old girl. LOL.

The engine is the WW2 military Lycoming O-290-3 - in fact the one in it is I believe its original engine - had another one for a while and when it was restored they reco the original and put it in.

We must get the two together - where is yours based ? I will be going to the AAAA annual rally in Echuca and the Auster Rally in Leeton.

A RED colour scheme, wow, she's going to be really fast. Better watch your vne. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifAlan.

Yeah sure !! Its such a fast aircraft - maybe I could do a formation with an F18 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I actually wish it was in its WW2 military colours - it has quite a history - participated in the invasion of Europe.

Stick to the bright contrast colours. Easy to spot when you run out of fuel and land out somewhere Camouflage colours are not for planes you want to see. The Mk V had a "flat" lycoming if I remember correctly. regards Nev

The Mk V had a "flat" lycoming if I remember correctly. regards Nev

Correct. It also has the RAF blind flying panel which works quite well.

The engine is the WW2 military Lycoming O-290-3 - in fact the one in it is I believe its original engine - had another one for a while and when it was restored they reco the original and put it in.We must get the two together - where is yours based ? I will be going to the AAAA annual rally in Echuca and the Auster Rally in Leeton.

Mine is based at Luskintyre near Maitland, so not real far from you, but is currently about to undergo an annual with a Cable inspection AD due. If I get my finger out I might be at the AAAA at Euchuca.

Mine is equipped with the Australian Gipsy Major 130HP (with your legs crossed); Yellow in colour, VH-KBY. The shot below was us on approach to Nowra in 2004 before I actually owned her, she previously belonged to a friend with whom I flew quite few times.

Kaz3G from this site has a unique Auster J5D 'Ajax' also 1944 built for the RAF, it was a one off production also originally with the 0-290, but now fitted with an 0-360. 880291283_Nowraapproach2004.jpg.92e6516bcbe194595318c06d73a0d0ac.jpg

• Like 2

Kaz3G from this site has a unique Auster J5D 'Ajax' also 1944 built for the RAF, it was a one off production also originally with the 0-290, but now fitted with an 0-360.

Kaz's Auster has a real interesting history...I can't recall all of it but hopefully she may come on and tell everyone its story

I have seen Kaz's aircraft - its very nice. Just had a look at its history - didn't realise it was originally a MK V !! Its been changed a lot (by Auster) since then. Maybe we should start an Auster history post

OMG that brings back memories of my first TIF in a Mk 5 at the grand age of 20 at Shoreham UK, (almost half a century ago, thats B.S).. Anyway, I did enjoy it, even if I did feel that I wanted to puke and change that horrible fumey smell in the cockpit!

Anyway, I did enjoy it, even if I did feel that I wanted to puke and change that horrible fumey smell in the cockpit!

At least you can fly them with the windows open 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

We have an auster in our hanger but she in A sad state I think the owner has lost his license for medical reason and she has be siting in there for over ten years now that I know of ,