Skins

propfarmer

Hi all

I am looking to source a new set of wing and aileron skins for a T500. I had an order placed with Spectrum Aviation however it looks as though they weren't made before the recent passing of Wayne. As Wayne was the main person doing the fabrication it appears that they may not be able to complete the skins I have ordered.

Does anyone know of other skin/sail makers doing this type of work?

thanks in advance

PF

I would also like a set of new wing and aileron skins for the drifter. Horizontal stab and elevator skins are new. Can anybody recommend a sail maker on the Gold Coast or Brissy ?I was also wondering what most of them would say, when they found out the sails were for a Ultralight.

Hi allI am looking to source a new set of wing and aileron skins for a T500. I had an order placed with Spectrum Aviation however it looks as though they weren't made before the recent passing of Wayne. As Wayne was the main person doing the fabrication it appears that they may not be able to complete the skins I have ordered.

Does anyone know of other skin/sail makers doing this type of work?

thanks in advance

PF

Hello, I thought Wayne had a Lady who worked for him make the sails ? Can anybody confirm this or not ?

I would also like a set of new wing and aileron skins for the drifter. Horizontal stab and elevator skins are new. Can anybody recommend a sail maker on the Gold Coast or Brissy ?I was also wondering what most of them would say, when they found out the sails were for a Ultralight.

Tell them it's for an off road vehicle.

Pud

• Like 2

There was someone working with him however I was told today that she was a uni student and only part time? The answer I received today was that they were reviewing that part of the business (re the legality of someone else within the business doing the sailmaking) and were unsure whether it would continue.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I am able to source skins through Spectrum Aviation. Emma was the one helping Wayne with the sail making and I believe is in the process of setting up her own business, so Good News!!!

However Emma and I have different measurements for the length of the aileron for a T500. Her template is for an aileron measuring 4408mm long measured outside of tubes.

I have measured mine and two other t500's and found ours to be 4510mm+/-2mm.

Firstly, does anyone know what thruster the 4408mm aileron belongs too?

Second, Are there any T500's close by to Lismore that Emma can get a look at to create a new template.

Or... has anyone had a set of T500 aileron skins made in the last 12 months by Wayne. If so, could you please let me know if there were any problems or pm me with your name so I can let Emma know and she can track down the order and get the measurements off that.

Thanks

• Like 1

Update:I am able to source skins through Spectrum Aviation. Emma was the one helping Wayne with the sail making and I believe is in the process of setting up her own business, so Good News!!!

However Emma and I have different measurements for the length of the aileron for a T500. Her template is for an aileron measuring 4408mm long measured outside of tubes.

I have measured mine and two other t500's and found ours to be 4510mm+/-2mm.

Firstly, does anyone know what thruster the 4408mm aileron belongs too?

Second, Are there any T500's close by to Lismore that Emma can get a look at to create a new template.

Or... has anyone had a set of T500 aileron skins made in the last 12 months by Wayne. If so, could you please let me know if there were any problems or pm me with your name so I can let Emma know and she can track down the order and get the measurements off that.

Thanks

Fantastic, I will be ordering some when I get home from work (next wednesday). For a SB Drifter.

Oh great, I need new skins too, Thanks Emah!!!

Daz, let me know if you need my help with anything, no probs at all!

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You have options ...

Wingtech Pty. Ltd. make and repair aircraft sails. It's what we do for a living.

Most of our time is taken up with production of Airborne's range of trikes and hang gliders but we also have experience with Thruster and other ultralight sails. You can find out a little more about us at www.wingtech.com.au

We are happy to help out with repair of any aircraft sail and offer a professional service with a fast turnaround. We have access to the exact fabrics used of the original Thrusters and have a good working knowledge of the sails.

Please feel free to get in touch - all contact details are on our web site.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 5 weeks later...

As an update to the previous post, pilots can now get complete replacement Thruster TST, T300 and T500 skins made from the ORIGINAL patterns. Having these patterns ensures your new skins will fit and look exactly like the originals.

Please visit our web site at www.wingtech.com.au for more details or call on 02 49449222.

• 9 years later...
On 17/04/2013 at 12:47 PM, pudestcon said:

Any decent sailmaker, such as Taskers' should be able to make you a set of skins, especially if you have the old skins for a pattern.

I know Taskers in Western Australia can do them.

Pud

have you had them do some ?

i would like to get a full set if the price is right

Alan of Wingtech retired October last year and sold off all his  factory machinery and managed to use up the last of his sail materials inventory.  I was fortunate to get the last full set he made, cost me $3970 delivered to Rockhampton. He also included repair swatches of material for me.  I have heard nothing since of anyone advertising Thruster skins since.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jackc said:

Alan of Wingtech retired October last year and sold off all his  factory machinery and managed to use up the last of his sail materials inventory.  I was fortunate to get the last full set he made, cost me $3970 delivered to Rockhampton. He also included repair swatches of material for me.  I have heard nothing since of anyone advertising Thruster skins since.

Bugger that’s not what I wanted to hear glad you got some though.. and that price is good for piece of mind .

oh well I’ll keep looking cheers guys 

9 hours ago, propfarmer said:

Unfortunately I think Pud may no longer be with us, and wingtech have closed I believe. Not sure where you look but keep us posted if you find someone.

No dramas thanks for your info 👍

Horizon sails in Melbourne told me they would make a new set of thruster skins using the old ones for patterns. They have made skins for various ultralights in the past.

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

I would imagine that any sailmaker would be able to make Thruster skins. Just google sailmakers, they are all along the coast of Australi.

A lot of them won't touch aviation stuff . Horizon is one that will do it. I rang a couple of others that would not.

Back in September 2022, SAAA referred the following guy in USA over to RAAus as we virtually never see sail covered wings etc, they are more common in the RAAus fleet.

If you google his name you'll find a green aircraft on youtube.

[email protected]
Malcolm Brubaker
Friday, 2nd September 2022 7:57 pm
I sew sails in the USA. I receive several requests a month for sails from the AU. I am considering coming there to teach a few people to sew sails. I am looking for contacts to advertise this venture. Can you help me? I hope to here from you next week

• Informative 1

There is a lot of precision required for the thruster skins, the stitching has to be mm perfect or they will not fit properly.  

I replaced the skins on my 1988 t500 in 2017 for the first time, Alan at wingtech tested the old ones and they still passed OK, if the skins are good and the aircraft is in a fully enclosed hangar they last a long time. Have ultralam now which is very UV resistant and completely washable, it always looks beautiful. Similar to the Bushcat material.  

• Informative 2