Sleeping Pads

image.jpg.ec7f6722b323cadc1700e80a25ebf935.jpg Not sure what you all use for your sleeping pads when flying in or camping but I got an email recently from legear advertising an end of year stocktake on these Klymit sleeping pads. This is a pic of the largest one weighing in at 476grams it's look got me interested and I did a little googleing and seems to be a fairly good product with a bit of a following in the backpack community.

So I'm not trying to sell these for anyone but I thought that such a lightweight pad that had good reviews for being half comfy might be of interest to some aviators who are conscious of the weight of their camping gear.

So please share what you all use for a sleeping pad I would be interested to hear of a few different options:whisper:

Also for those that are interested it seems Klymit are an innovative company with some interesting jacket designs well worth a search on YouTube or google.

Now to convince SWMBO to stop buying shoes and jackets and groceries so I can afford them:slap:

Looks like something they could carry you away on after a bad landing

It does. But actually it folds up into a carry bag about the size of a drink bottle I thought it might be a viable alternative to the good old blue foam, trouble is blue foam is cheaper lol

I recently bought a 'Biker swag' made by oztrail. It weighs 5 kg but has a surprisingly comfortable foam mattress and rolls up pretty compact. No too dear either. Laurie

I recently bought a 'Biker swag' made by oztrail. It weighs 5 kg but has a surprisingly comfortable foam mattress and rolls up pretty compact. No too dear either. Laurie

Which model? They seem to make several types of biker swags.

rgmwa

I've heard "self-inflating" mattresses are good but have never tried one.

I've heard of those, not sure how they work? Do you have to eat beans the night before, and do you have to lay on your back once you're hooked in??

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I've heard "self-inflating" mattresses are good but have never tried one.

Hi,

I got one of those from Ray's Outdoors. It's very good - I got a "Hiker's" one, which is shorter and more compact than the standard one. Being vertically-challenged it works fine for me. It rolls up very small too. It works by having an internal structure which pushes itself out and pulls in air when put out flat. Then you can top it up with a few puffs of air in the mouthpiece.

HTH

Neil

I've heard of those, not sure how they work? Do you have to eat beans the night before, and do you have to lay on your back once you're hooked in??008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Have to get a "NO SMOKING" sign

Hi,Then you can top it up with a few puffs of air in the mouthpiece.

HTH

Neil

smoking.gif.2d8aabfab26579c9810e4f07a330ce61.gif.............Be aware that the huff'n puff works o.o.OK ' but long term the foam inner will develop fungal and bacterial breakdown and will eventually collapse.

exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif I've been using "Thermarest's" for many years, treking/bushwalking and they're excellent and pack thin and light.

I used to fly a Jab160 and found the seat to be rather uncomfortable on a long flight. After an overnighter, I put the self-inflatable I'd been sleeping on the night before onto the seat (slightly deflated), and had a much more comfortable return trip. Even if you never camp out, they're well worth buying just for the Jab seat.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I use the Exped Synmat in a tent. Very comfortable... Insulated so very warm just sleeping UNDER a sleeping bag even on very cold night. The hand pump is the only issue but you get used to it ....

Therma rest are ideal, very comfortable and warmer than an airbed. I have seat and backrest in the plane made of conforfoam, designed to be removable and used as a sleeping mat. just a little bit short, but with a Corby there is no room for luxuries. Plento of room for the thermarest and a tent and sleeping bag in my RV4 though.

• Like 1