Flying Legend Tucano

Admin

I would like to welcome Flying Legend Tucano aircraft as a supporter of Recreational Flying. This looks to me like an aircraft I would like to have and you can find out more by clicking on the Tucano image in the right column of most main site pages.

It is supporters like Tucano that help to make this site even greater so please support them back in any way you can...their representative on the site has the same user name, Tucano

Thanks

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very nice, I checked out the web site and it says that the quick build kit for Australian customers has been modified to meet the australian 51% rules and nobody apart the bulder can work on it. So I was wondering, why doesn't the kit be built under the ELSA rules where the 51% doesn't apply or is that only a USA thing ?

Ps - Great web site, although on very last line has "does" incorrectly spelt as "dose" not a biggy or anything, I just thought I would point it out, this is on the Kit retractable page.

Looks great, although a bit pricey at $88k plus GST plus engine (I think) plus avionics plus paint. If so, could easily cost around $135k to build one. Obviously a lot less if the engine is included in the kit, but it's not clear from the web site.

rgmwa

Hmmm, nice looking bit of plane right there!

I like that the seat heights are staggered and the passenger can see clearly, seems the obvious layout that not many take advantage of.

In the comparison page between the Titan Mustang and the Tucano. IMO the Tucano comes out on top. It would certainly turn heads rocking up to a fly in, well both of them will turn heads at a fly in I reckon. Cockpit seating lay out as Bex has mentioned is a big plus as tandems go.

• Agree 1

The titan is a different beast, you can go for the 2.7L suzuki V6 option and claw back a lot of the cost. A 180hp plane is going to rock a 110hp one.

True but the Titan is going to take a lot longer to build and Im not sure that the V6 powered ones even make LSA due to weight, the 912 powered do though

Manual is available but software to allow flip pages has to be installed on the site. These things are not as simple as one is lead to believe but money can solve most IT issues.

A retractable replica of any type is not cheap and the expected cost is about $130K with a basic panel. The company is working with FlyGas to integrate a supercharger onto the standard Rotax. The supercharger can be added to the 912ul 80 HP model saving a large sum of money on the 912 and only giving up about 10 hp. A fixed gear version is under development and this will allow the style with a large saving created by removing the pump. controls, emergency extension and retract system from the assembly. The kit itself is very complete with very little to purchase to finish the airframe. This aircraft must be flown at the 600 kg weight to allow full tanks and two real size people.

The ERREs aircraft has just recently completed a 110 hour return flight from Brazil to Oshkosh and return. The estimated build time is 600 hours to build the airframe and as the first of type builder i will keep an accurate log and I am very average builder. The kit is fully drilled only requiring the builder to cleco it back into a assembly and pop rivet. The factory will be flying a technician to Australia to ensue that I am on the right track in late October or early November - more to be announced there - standby.

The 51% was decided on for Australia to allow it to be built as a experimental because if you examine the aircraft is is a big plane in a small body - if a 2.4 meter high rudder fin is small by any standard. You can build it in any category that meets the rules just check with the RAA to ensure is complies.

The aircraft will be available for inspection at Rylstone or just follow the blog for the usual happy snaps. The airframe will be at NatFly next year.

If you have any questions email me from the site.

• Like 4

The estimated build time is 600 hours to build the airframe and as the first of type builder i will keep an accurate log and I am very average builder. .

Good luck to you Tuccy and thanks for supporting the forum! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

i love the engine cowling shape around the 912...

Yes it looks like it's hiding turbine , like the " real " Tucano has under the bonnet ..

• Haha 1

Manual is available but software to allow flip pages has to be installed on the site. These things are not as simple as one is lead to believe but money can solve most IT issues.A retractable replica of any type is not cheap and the expected cost is about $130K with a basic panel. The company is working with FlyGas to integrate a supercharger onto the standard Rotax. The supercharger can be added to the 912ul 80 HP model saving a large sum of money on the 912 and only giving up about 10 hp. A fixed gear version is under development and this will allow the style with a large saving created by removing the pump. controls, emergency extension and retract system from the assembly. The kit itself is very complete with very little to purchase to finish the airframe. This aircraft must be flown at the 600 kg weight to allow full tanks and two real size people.

The ERREs aircraft has just recently completed a 110 hour return flight from Brazil to Oshkosh and return. The estimated build time is 600 hours to build the airframe and as the first of type builder i will keep an accurate log and I am very average builder. The kit is fully drilled only requiring the builder to cleco it back into a assembly and pop rivet. The factory will be flying a technician to Australia to ensue that I am on the right track in late October or early November - more to be announced there - standby.

The 51% was decided on for Australia to allow it to be built as a experimental because if you examine the aircraft is is a big plane in a small body - if a 2.4 meter high rudder fin is small by any standard. You can build it in any category that meets the rules just check with the RAA to ensure is complies.

The aircraft will be available for inspection at Rylstone or just follow the blog for the usual happy snaps. The airframe will be at NatFly next year.

If you have any questions email me from the site.

That's pretty good info compared to the wishy washy stuff put out by some manufacturers. Keep it up !!!!

Answers a lot of questions.

We intend to document the work on various areas of the kit during assembly on the blog - this will be in the form of photos and text and will be designed to clarify the assembly instructions supplied with the kit.

• Like 2

That was the ERREs Tucano flown from Brazil and return. They are hopping to raise the profile in the US and that is the reasoning behind the fixed gear version which is aimed at the American LSA market

• Like 1

I would estimate late next year. I hope to be able to put 80 hours per month = 8 months to construct the fuselage. Then of course you have electrical, panel and engine so I would estimate 24 months. The factory is very strong on the 600 hours as I have a quick build kit. The tail is in flat pack kit but has been assembled, drilled and disassembled at the factory so in theory we have to only cleco and pop rivet.

It will be recorded in the Kitlog and on the blog as mentioned in a previous post.

Flying Legend intends to market a number of aircraft other that the Tucano so the web site in time would have to become less specific.

Van's say the average builder should be able to put an RV-12 together in 700-900 hours. I'm pleased to say that it's taken me about twice that, so I must be well above average. 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

rgmwa

• Haha 3
  • Caution 1