Odyssey battery life??

Yeah , the attachment won't work for me either Mike . Anyway today I took delivery of a new Odyssey , got over 6 years on the last , it still worked , but was starting to become unreliable . Got tired of taking it out to recharge so opted for the expensive solution ........ Bob

AAahaar , the posting gremlins have departed !!On monday my 11 year old Odyssey battery finally gave up the crank ,

I recons that could be a record .???

Mike

My Yuasa battery in my 2003 motorbike is still going strong.

N

AAahaar , the posting gremlins have departed !!On monday my 11 year old Odyssey battery finally gave up the crank ,

I recons that could be a record .???

Mike

We have one in a flightstar in our hangar new in 2002 sat for seven years with the owner charging it now and then ,the aircraft was put back in the air in 2014 the Oddysey is still going now

Makes me wonder how many many pefectly good Odyessys have been chucked out due to time maint.

Ive always understood that you should change them at 2/4 years ?

Should offer to buy all the ckucked ones !!

Lets say %10 of p/p after 2 years . Lol

Mike

Like everything else, you can get a crook one. As previously posted I replaced a perfectly good Odyssey after 8 years (it's now 10 years and still going strong in a ride-on mower). The new one didn't make 2 years, but was replaced under warranty after a bit of to-and-froing with the Adelaide distributor. HINT - don't say it's for an aircraft! Even though mine is starting a car engine they tried to avoid a warranty claim due to aircraft use.

• Like 1

I think it may depend on usage,

2 Aircraft (mine and another) changed after 6 years - still good but changed because of time only, didn't want to run the risk of being let down in the bush.

Another 2 aircraft the batteries got "lazy" after 3/4 years requiring replacement.

Only difference being the 2 lasting 6 plus years are flown a couple of times a week and the other 2 are flown every month. All 4 aircraft J230s, and same airfield (temps etc).

The removed batteries after sitting don't appear to have the cranking power now after sitting for a few months even after fully charging.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3 batteries over 13 years in the Corby. I bought a new one for the RV4 and before I flew the 4 the Corby battery started playing up. I took out the RV battery and installed it in the Corby. It is now going well. I recharged the Corby battery and put it in the RV when I started flying it and it spins the o-320 better than it ever did the Jab 2.0 engine. The heavier prop gives it a good flywheel effect, compared to the Sweetapple prop on the Corby. When I built the Corby I tried to spin the engine without a prop on it. The battery wouldn't push it over TDC.

Mike, I have an Odyssey you can have, but its about 7 years old. I took it out to replace it with a Hobbyking LiFePO4 because of the weight saving (about 5 kg) and the money savings ( the Odyssey was about $150 more) . The new LiFePO4 battery is lots better, well it is so far but I will know more in 10 years.

.. Bruce

A follow up on my previous post. I had to remove the battery from the RV today. I stuffed up the starting sequence and it was down to 11.7V. Must remember to use full rich for the next start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yenn, once I left the mags on and when I went back a week later the Odyssey was dead flat and I thought it was gone, but I recharged it and it worked ok until I took it out a year later. Your battery should be ok too.

Yes the battery is starting the Lycoming OK. I doubt it would do very well in the Jab engined Corby. Turning the Jab over with only a lightweight timber prop is harder than a Lycoming with a big lump of alloy on the front.

FWIW, a well maintained battery will last a long time. Keep it charged, dont discharge it to much, try and keep exposure to heat minimused and any battery will lasst a long time.

I have seen normal lead acid batteries last well in excess of 15 years thanks to regular maintenance and careful use. I even had a car battery as a 18y/o last 11years and that got swapped out of my regular car and into my muscle car, plus it did many trips in the tinny whilst fishing too. Nothing different to sealed batteries either, dont overcharge or overheat them, dont let them run less than about 60-70% of charge and they will last you a long time.

• 9 months later...

An old but ineresting post. several years ago when building my big Jodel wing I bought an oddessy pc680 ? and made a battery box in front of the spar. This wee battery starts the turbo diesel. The engine has no alternator so the battery just gets hooked up to the sun. Cold start with glow plugs gives it a work out but it always stars. Are these ok with pma charging. Would like an electrstatic solar panel to put inside my canopy for sunshade and charge. Chas