Missing plane from Gympie yesterday

Mine is the same as yours Ross. It was pointed out to me to wear it on my person, not tuck it between the seats or whatever, so that if you land hard, and wander off before you have it all together, the PLB will still be with you when you come to your senses instead of being jammed up under the dash, out of sight, out of mind!

• Agree 2

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that this was an accidents and incidents forum but I suppose that one can be forgiven for thinking such a thing in view of how the thread got started in the first place.

I thought that this was an accidents and incidents forum but I suppose that one can be forgiven for thinking such a thing in view of how the thread got started in the first place.

yep that it all related better then trying too guess what could or could not have happened

Guest Maj Millard
This is the unit I use [ATTACH=full]35441[/ATTACH]

Those are quality units Doug, ACR have been making that stuff for a longtime, and it is wildly used by the military.

Guest Maj Millard
Mine is the same as yours Ross. It was pointed out to me to wear it on my person, not tuck it between the seats or whatever, so that if you land hard, and wander off before you have it all together, the PLB will still be with you when you come to your senses instead of being jammed up under the dash, out of sight, out of mind!

RankAmateur.....I agree with your sentiment entirely...a beacon is probably safer if carried on person, a very tragic inflight. Fire accident highlighted that a few years ago south of Charter Towers. I have my beacon mounted right by the door I would go out of, if I needed to exit rapidly, I leave a bit of lanyard hanging out also for an easy grab.

Recently I trialed wearing it on my belt, and did a couple of flights that way, however I found it too uncomfortable and forgot to put it on a couple of times.....so it's now back to the position by the door.......thanks for your imput.

RankAmateur.....I agree with your sentiment entirely...a beacon is probably safer if carried on person, a very tragic inflight. Fire accident highlighted that a few years ago south of Charter Towers. I have my beacon mounted right by the door I would go out of, if I needed to exit rapidly, I leave a bit of lanyard hanging out also for an easy grab.Recently I trialed wearing it on my belt, and did a couple of flights that way, however I found it too uncomfortable and forgot to put it on a couple of times.....so it's now back to the position by the door.......thanks for your imput.

same here have mine in the left forward wing root easily grabbed if required held in place via Velcro

Guest Andys@coffs

I have 2 beacons, the first is a non GPS beacon (that was all that was available when the mandate to change was active) and a newer GPS one. Both are the mt410/G from GME and were chosen because of the extended battery life as compared to some other brands and because they are Aussie made and designed. Remember the battery life is from manufacture not when sold to you.

In my plane both passenger and pilot wear around neck using provided lanyard. The beacons live on the seat so you can't forget to do something with them. I brief the passenger who wears the non GPS one, that they are in the event of an accident to turn on the beacon only if I haven't already done so with mine or if I'm not conscious and capable of doing so with mine?I discuss why my beacon is preferred to theirs.

I then turn on the smartphone followmee tracking and depart.

I have to agree with Andy about the smart phone app called Followmee. It is available for android and apple products and for less than 6 bucks you get the ability to record the tracking history. Anyone with the log on details can call up the details on the Followme web site. Most people have one of these phones so why not use it. It does not need to be activated by anyone onboard in the case of an emergency but will give a track and location current to within the last 10 min.

Wayne

• Like 1

Pretty sure it needs the cell coverage only to report the location details but GPS fixes will be stored then reported when cell coverage is resumed. I work in locations where I don't always have cell coverage but the locations do come up on the followme map when I check later. You will get much better cell coverage with some elevation so most of the populated landscape is covered.

It's not a replacement for a beacon but it is another reasonable method of keeping track of your flight. If something goes wrong......this app may help SAR find you much faster by narrowing the search area......especially if your beacon was not activated.

See: www.followmee.com

Nice feature from the latest release from Avplan for those that use it for EFB. Quote below is from their latest release notes.

Today we are introducing AvPlan Live! AvPlan Live brings live flight tracking to AvPlan EFB. When enabled, your devices will automatically send position reports via the internet every 15 seconds. This is a free service for all AvPlan EFB subscribers.

These position reports are extremely light weight and when combined with a good coverage cellular network (Telstra in Australia for example) will enable your aircraft to be tracked with very good accuracy. The amount of data sent by your device is also very small – around 30 KB per hour while in flight. You do not need to have submitted a flight plan either, the service will work if you have a flight plan in the system or not.

In Australia, soon you will be able to submit notification that you are using this service, and AMSA will be able to pull up details of your last known location if you happen to not arrive at your destination and a search is initiated. This will save a lot of time if a search is commenced and will ensure you are located sooner than before.

When you share your flight plan via Twitter or Facebook, others can view your flight plan, current location and ground track. If you do not share your plan via these mechanisms, then your current location not viewable by anyone but yourself (when looking at the My Flights section of our website).

To enable AvPlan Live, open AvPlan EFB on your device and tap Settings, User Settings.

• Like 7
  • Informative 2

Guest Maj Millard

I attended Robs service on Monday....a moving, very nice, and very well attended event. There was even some local TV coverage. Many who knew and loved Rob made the effort to go to Nambour to share the loss, and comfort Robs' very likeable family. I have spoken with several people, including Robs father and others, some of whom have been to the crash site itself. Following is my opinion only and not based on any official source as the investigation is still ongoing and of course in the hands of police and the Coroner. Only the final report by the Coroner may tell the true story and present the facts.

The aircraft appears to have been complete at impact, it was a high- speed impact ( The J258 was capable of 130 kts), it appears the engine and propeller were attached and operating at normal power. The initial impact was not survivable. The weather at the time observed by locals in the area may or may not have been a factor.

It is possible Rob may have had some medical conditions that could have caused a physical incapacitation, but this is not yet confirmed. The engine has been removed from site for further examination. There could be information to be recovered from Robs EFB that could shed further light on the cause, if they have been recovered, and are in suitable condition. Rob appeared fit for the flight, and had sent a txt not long before the end of the flight. Rob had flown the route before and was familiar with the area. Having flown with/besides Rob a few time I can tell you he did not suffer from gethereitis, ( and others who knew Rob agree) was very experienced over a long period, and was not in the habit of penetrating or entering cloud. Those who were fortunate to be able to call Rob Purvan a friend, will miss his long term contribution both as a pilot and aircraft designer/ builder. His father Tony will miss building aircraft and flying with Rob, they were a team, and we will all be poorer for no longer having his significant contributions to our sport. Not to mention we will all miss his happy smile and unconditional friendship.

That's everything I know so please don't ask for more, it is purely my own opinion and not that of an RAAus board member.

Thanks Maj for your piece, I had the pleasure of meeting Rob at Natfly and rang and spoke to him about an aircraft he built, he was the most helpful and considerate fellow aviator and thorough gentleman. He will be sadly missed

• Agree 1