Restricted area - active? How to be sure??

I'm struggling to find a definitive answer;

I am planning a flight near Western Post R323A/B.

- The chart says refer to NOTAM for operational Hrs

- The area briefing says there is no current NOTAM (but check the ERSA as it may not be activated by NOTAM.)

ERSA says refer to NOTAM

Getting dizzy. I would guess the default state is inactive - but I am not going to fly though on this assumption. Am I missing something?

ERSA:

YMMM/R323B WESTERN PORT CONDITIONAL STATUS: RA2 FIRING LATERAL LIMITS: 38 28 55S 145 01 35E, 38 32 23S 144 41 41E then along the minor arc of a circle of 16.00NM radius centred on 38 28 55S 145 01 35E to 38 44 55S 145 02 00E 38 29 07S 145 02 00E, 38 28 55S 145 01 35E VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC - FL550 HOURS OF ACTIVITY: NOTAM CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: Navy HMAS Cerberus

I'm struggling to find a definitive answer;I am planning a flight near Western Post R323A/B.

- The chart says refer to NOTAM for operational Hrs

- The area briefing says there is no current NOTAM (but check the ERSA as it may not be activated by NOTAM.)

ERSA says refer to NOTAM

Getting dizzy. I would guess the default state is inactive - but I am not going to fly though on this assumption. Am I missing something?

ERSA:

YMMM/R323B WESTERN PORT CONDITIONAL STATUS: RA2 FIRING LATERAL LIMITS: 38 28 55S 145 01 35E, 38 32 23S 144 41 41E then along the minor arc of a circle of 16.00NM radius centred on 38 28 55S 145 01 35E to 38 44 55S 145 02 00E 38 29 07S 145 02 00E, 38 28 55S 145 01 35E VERTICAL LIMITS: SFC - FL550 HOURS OF ACTIVITY: NOTAM CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: Navy HMAS Cerberus

BlurE

Call centre prior to entering the area and ask for the status of that restricted area.

Aldo

• Agree 1

My advice...ask locals here, they seem to know rough hours...

Plan to go through and around...call prior to takeoff if possible...call in air when in range...

Pick your diversion point...

Its a pain in the ass but that seems to be the procedure for most these...ya find out when you check notams on the day ...and even then they can and do change with no notice...

My advice...ask locals here, they seem to know rough hours...Plan to go through and around...call prior to takeoff if possible...call in air when in range...

Pick your diversion point...

Its a pain in the ass but that seems to be the procedure for most these...ya find out when you check notams on the day ...and even then they can and do change with no notice...

Its an RA2, so you are not allowed to flight plan through it.

As Aldo said, all you have to do is call centre and ask for the status.

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes

If unsure always ask on 'centre'. Weekends and public holidays are a good time to fly, not much restricted airspace active!

Log onto NAIPS before you go and check "Restricted Area Briefing". Always a good guide. If not active, plan through but monitor area frequency and if in doubt ask again before entering. If active, you can not plan to go through but you can ask for a clearance as you approach. Chances are the RAAF are having lunch or smoko and they'll let you through but have an alternate plan to fall back on. You need to have a RPL (with CTA) or above of course if you ask to go through when active because it is controlled airspace.

RA2 - Planning NOT available unless:

a) In accordance with ERSA, or

b) On the conditional routes described below.

Tactical clearances may be available subject to activity.

Oz runways shows which RA are active, select them to see notams on it, not sure how accurately

Could you briefly explain how to do as I am unable to work it out ? Thanks

Oz runways shows which RA are active, select them to see notams on it, not sure how accurately

Please do not do this otherwise you will end up with VCA notice from Airservices. Ozrunways almost never gets this right.

Restricted airspace can often become active at short notice, neither NOTAMS or Ozrunways are reliable. Call Centre to check. If the RA has a ATIS that is available for civilian use then you can also find out from that. Last but not least, monitor the CTAF for the RA, as they will announce if the airspace is going to become active so you can obtain clearance BEFORE it becomes active.

Please do not do this otherwise you will end up with VCA notice from Airservices. Ozrunways almost never gets this right.

Pearo

I don't agree, I fly most days very close to Oakey RA Oz runways gets it right 99% of the time and Notams are just as accurate, what you find with Oz runways there is about 90 sec lag from going active and also from deactivating.

If you find yourself inside a restricted area and it becomes active call centre or airways clearance delivery and let them know who you are, where you are, where you are going, what altitude you are maintaining and whether you are transponder equipped they will help you out. You won't end up with a please explain or VCA (whatever that stands for).

Aldo

Could you briefly explain how to do as I am unable to work it out ? Thanks

Just tap the 'Map View Options' (2 small gears icon) go to 'Airspace'. At the top of the list is "Highlight Active Restricted Areas". Based on the few times I've played around with it on the ground, it seems to have tracked Willie Romeo activations accurately. But I'd like to know more about how it works (who actually cues the info) and how much reliability is claimed for it.

PearoI don't agree, I fly most days very close to Oakey RA Oz runways gets it right 99% of the time and Notams are just as accurate, what you find with Oz runways there is about 90 sec lag from going active and also from deactivating.

If you find yourself inside a restricted area and it becomes active call centre or airways clearance delivery and let them know who you are, where you are, where you are going, what altitude you are maintaining and whether you are transponder equipped they will help you out. You won't end up with a please explain or VCA (whatever that stands for).

Aldo

The fact that you say its is correct 99% of the time sums it up well.

I have flown through big Amberley on several occasion where it was active and OzRunways shows it as inactive, even says in ERSA it can become active in short notice and to refer to ATIS.

• Haha 1

Just tap the 'Map View Options' (2 small gears icon) go to 'Airspace'. At the top of the list is "Highlight Active Restricted Areas". Based on the few times I've played around with it on the ground, it seems to have tracked Willie Romeo activations accurately. But I'd like to know more about how it works (who actually cues the info) and how much reliability is claimed for it.

Thanks, actually had it on, what I wondered is there a quick way to get notam on restricted from map ? rather than just the red like colour. For me the biggest problem is that I don't use it often enough and forget how to use ozrunways.

Violation of Contraled Airspace ! Haven't you had one yet ? I had one years ago and it was the towers fault, once that was established and proved, no more letters ! No more VCA.

Thanks, actually had it on, what I wondered is there a quick way to get notam on restricted from map ? rather than just the red like colour. For me the biggest problem is that I don't use it often enough and forget how to use ozrunways.

Camel

You can find the Notams on the weather pages

Aldo

Violation of Contraled Airspace ! Haven't you had one yet ? I had one years ago and it was the towers fault, once that was established and proved, no more letters ! No more VCA.

Camel

I think that reply was probably for me and no in 28 years of flying I haven't received a violation of controlled airspace notice and there is no reason to think that I should in the future

Aldo

• Like 1

I have previously contacted Williamtown about some of their northern areas prior to takeoff and they said not active and wont be...got there and it was active showing active on Avplan..

I called em up and it was active... so absolutely do check in air as well... its only a call away...

• Agree 2

For those with in an interest in Williamtown airspace, I notice that the Temporary Restricted Areas east of Cessnock announced in AIP (sup) 5 months ago, whilst still not marked on the VNC or VTC do now show up in OzRunways using 'Highlight Active Restricted Areas'.

With that feature on, if you hold your finger for a few seconds on a point around 5 miles east of YCNK you will see R976 highlighted in a list and if you tap on its name you will see its area depicted. Likewise, if you tap and hold a further 5 miles to the east you'll see R977.

(Maybe this has been the case for a while, but for any other laggards out there, it may be news. ;-)

NEW PRDs YMND YCNK.pdf

NEW PRDs YMND YCNK.pdf

NEW PRDs YMND YCNK.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I find RA OZrunways very accurate, i fly near R583A and B a lot and Ozrunways been spot on , even though have called B centre to be sure , always correct . Fantastic Hybrid VFR .

PearoI don't agree, I fly most days very close to Oakey RA Oz runways gets it right 99% of the time and Notams are just as accurate, what you find with Oz runways there is about 90 sec lag from going active and also from deactivating.

Aldo

in-air is the best way, they're happy to help. Something like "Melbourne Centre, Jabiru 1234 at xxxx feet overhead (town)... just confirming Restricted Area Romeo 555 currently inactive" should get you what you need. Check NOTAMS first of course, but that will get you the latest, and breaks up the monotony :)

in-air is the best way, they're happy to help. Something like "Melbourne Centre, Jabiru 1234 at xxxx feet overhead (town)... just confirming Restricted Area Romeo 555 currently inactive" should get you what you need. Check NOTAMS first of course, but that will get you the latest, and breaks up the monotony :)

All that is necessary is a call like

"Brisbane Center, MyAircraft 9999 request status of Amberley airspace"

They will respond with something like

"Station calling, Amberley is Active" or

"Station calling Amberley De-Active" or

"Station calling, Amberley Deactive, (pause) Active at 2 2 0 0"

I always then respond

"Amberley Active, MyAircraft 9999"

to acknowledge receipt of the info.

You don't need to inform them where you are or your height etc, that just clogs their airwaves. And wait until there is a clear gap in their transmissions and try to stay out of the middle of them directing airliners.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2