Which 8" andriod tablets operate on GPS only.

I have a samsung Tab A 8" and in its settings I have selected location by GPS only and it just keeps searching for the GPS. (With WiFi andGPS selected it shows my location and with WiFi only it shows my location.)

I want it to show my location when away from WiFi area.

I'm going to the store today in case it is a fault with my tablet; I'll ask them to try another of the same type and perhaps another model (S 2)

The tablet does not have cellelur ability.

I see that some on the samsungs mention location by GPS and other models by GPS Satellite. I.m begining to think those words describe the actual ability and performance of the units. Did the online tech support chat last night but only partial help and could not answer about GPS function performance only that it may take a long time GPS only.

Any comments appreciated.

Mike

The tablet does not have cellelur ability.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a Samsung Tab A 8" with WIFI and cellular. You need the model with Cellular as the GPS is built into the chip. You don't need a sim card installed though for the GPS to work.

OZRunway works well on mine.

Wayne

• Informative 1

I have a Samsung Tab A 8" with WIFI and cellular. You need the model with Cellular as the GPS is built into the chip. You don't need a sim card installed though for the GPS to work

I always thought this was for ipads only? I have never used Android but I was sure android devices has the GPS separated from the cellular chip?

• Agree 1

I always thought this was for ipads only? I have never used Android but I was sure android devices has the GPS separated from the cellular chip?

Not according to my research. Very hard to find out this info, sales people in stores have not got a clue! Had a blue with a Harvey Norman sales guy, he was telling me rubbish. Even tech specs can be misleading.

• Agree 1

Some devices have a stand alone GPS chip and some have AGPS or Assisted GPS which means they use the Cellular system for triangulation as well as the GPS satellite system so a SIM card is required for them to work properly. I have a couple of cheap Android tablets, both of which have stand alone GPS chips and work fine for navigation with Google Maps or Navigator free software.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

OzRunways says "Unlike iPads, all Android tablets, including those with only WiFi, have built in GPS."

I use a Samsung TAB S with WiFi and GPS selected (No sim card) and have GPS position miles away from any WiFi connection.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Just back from store. Found my tablet faulty. The new one is WiFi and / or GPS only and not cellular and it locate lat and long inside; so all good at last.

Was a bit of a work over to prove that it was faulty and not my fault.

In the end they agreed and another new, same model 8" tablet was turned on and could locate itself inside the store with GPS. (Luckly a mate had SMS'ed me that his 7" $140 Samsung worked Ok as this also helped convince the store IT person that the RWY program was compatable with the Samsung)

Then they had to check OzRunway's webb that RWY did not state it needs cellular ability. Then they tried a factory reboot on my original unit (Purchased last Sunday). That wiped the device of my downloads.

I now have to get onto RWY and get the purchased program off the old and onto the new.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

I now have to get onto RWY and get the purchased program off the old and onto the new.

That works like the apple store doesen't it? So you should be able to login to the google play store and download it again.

That's my understanding, but then again I don't use android.

• Informative 1

That works like the apple store doesen't it? So you should be able to login to the google play store and download it again.That's my understanding, but then again I don't use android.

Hi Robbo I'm not sure. I have just emailed RWY support. I recall they need to authorised unstalling on another tablet somehow by wiping the recent download and alowing the new tablet to be populated with the data. The subscription only alows for use / access on one tablet and also one phone device at any time. I'll be stoked when this is finished. Its not an issue with RWY or the store just the result of a faulty product.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Robbo I'm not sure. I have just emailed RWY support. I recall they need to authorised unstalling on another tablet somehow by wiping the recent download and alowing the new tablet to be populated with the data. The subscription only alows for use / access on one tablet and also one phone device at any time. I'll be stoked when this is finished. Its not an issue with RWY or the store just the result of a faulty product.Cheers

Mike

I'm not sure that RWY is all that precient. Just download it again and authenticate via the subscription panel and then download the maps and other stuff you need. I had to replace a nexus 9 and it didn't complain at all. I had a second copy on a samsung 5.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that RWY is all that precient. Just download it again and authenticate via the subscription panel and then download the maps and other stuff you need. I had to replace a nexus 9 and it didn't complain at all. I had a second copy on a samsung 5.

All downloaded. I'll take it for a flight tomorrow; with a flight plan I set tonight.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

OzRunways says "Unlike iPads, all Android tablets, including those with only WiFi, have built in GPS.".

This is incorrect.

Many cheaper Android tablets do not have GPS.

I'm not aware of any Android tablet that has GPS and requires a network connection.

However, some will take minutes(up to 20) not seconds to connect when out of sync.

Daza

That has also been my experience - I have a Samsung Tab 3 and it can be infuriating at times - up to 10-15 minutes to get a GPS fix. I guess the only real fix will be a dedicated GPS connected by bluetooth but was hoping to avoid that - its just one more device which can run out of battery power.

I have a Samsung Tab S2. The in built GPS works fine with RWY.

I have the Tab A 8" working fine no acquires position fast. The original problem was a faulty tablet the store replaced it after making sure it was faulty; they did a reset etc.

I have two questions you may be able to assist with as I'm new to using the tablet.

1.Does andriod on a tablet allow to save flight plans?

If I set a flight plan, for example Marian to The Old Station via a coastal route and then do another via an inland route I don't seem to be able to find them saved any where. Ideally I like to have a bank of my favourite routes.

2. Is there a list of chart symbol mearnings / definations available in the AIP or elsewhere on the android version.

Best Regards

Mike

Considering the app costs the same on android and apple, so when is the functionality of the android app going to start to approach the apple one? It is still extremely Lite for a premium priced app.

1.Does andriod on a tablet allow to save flight plans?

Hi Blue adventures, yes it seems to automatically save plans. See the attached image. Past plans can be accessed by tapping the plan button "line with dots".Screenshot_2016-04-14-20-48-32-2.png.648aad3e01c82597cb887f78b529384e.png

• Like 1

Tap on each plan name then you can give it a name that means something to you. eg. if you do a plan from YDAY to Monto then to YDAY and another from YDAY to Warwick then YDAY they will both show YDAY-YDAY, tap on them and you can name one Monto and one Warwick.

Hi Blue adventures, yes it seems to automatically save plans. See the attached image. Past plans can be accessed by tapping the plan button "line with dots".[ATTACH=full]42461[/ATTACH]

Thanks LM8 that's what I'm looking for.

I can see now that to find all plans I have to cancel the displayed plan and then when I tap the access plans button the list of saved plans is shown.

What I had been doing was taping the access plans button while a plan was displayed and I would not see the list. Also I was looking in the file by tapping the file button but that would not take me to any saved plan.

Thanks

Mike