The XPB Stage 1 underway.

Funny, alerts says 3 new posts here but I can't see any of them.

Anyway, still mapping out a bit of bodywork, this is not final nor possibly representative of final, just playing around to see what I like, what fits, etc ... and note the very rear turtle deck is unsecured, untrimmed, way too long and splayed out.

In other words, don't judge based on this.

1363582571_tdeckrear1.jpg.288d643af93a76caad8de7aa4fd01568.jpg

652892172_tdeckrear3.jpg.ed220b5de03646dda6a500e35a26022a.jpg

945341711_tdeckrear2.jpg.20b412607b4b09d75cd26843b7cefba8.jpg

• Like 5

Let me explain part of the quick build system going on here.

Obviously there's 3 longerons.

The temporary short side panel is held in place on the lower 2 longerons with a few rivets but none in the top longeron.

The turtledeck sheet is slipped inside the side panel inbetween the top longeron.

The sidepanel has pilot holes already and you then merely drill all the holes through the side panel, turtledeck and longeron in one go, slip the turtledeck back out and onto the outside then rivet away.

Simple eh!

The pictures above still have the turtledeck slipped in the inside with just a couple of rivets either side solely for the purpose of testing.

• Like 3

couldn't see how that could work with the curvature of the side frames.

The turtledeck has no formers or lengthways support?

Go check out Morgan builds turtledecks, besides a number of others. As I said in your thread, aluminium more flexible than I think you imagine.

The large 180 degree curved turtledeck is massively strong as a single entity without ribbing but will have a large rib for anti-buckling failure.

so where is the pilot's bum relative to the spar?

Still between the top of his legs and below his waist.

50.jpg.1f51f70537d6369de45195c91550c8cf.jpg

• Like 2

Go check out Morgan builds turtledecks, besides a number of others. As I said in your thread, aluminium more flexible than I think you imagine.The large 180 degree curved turtledeck is massively strong as a single entity without ribbing but will have a large rib for anti-buckling failure.

Still between the top of his legs and below his waist.

[ATTACH=full]45668[/ATTACH]

Nice Bex! ...keep it up.

• Like 1

I like your double angled turtledeck. At first I thought you were going to have a single one and couldn't see how that could work with the curvature of the side frames.

Actually Marty even the 3D doesn't agree with the double curvature either, a difference of what a computer knows compared to hands on experience.

501.jpg.a1bb37f783ee9ab3d522dad25b71867e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
Haven't heard anything for awhile on the build. Hope all is well.

Thank you kind Sir, all is well, had some other important, but related things going on the last few weeks, but back into it now.

Mind you, another damn holiday just started in China, 7 days this time, was 4 days last month. Hard to get things done when the place keeps stopping all the time for holidays, along with the slow down before the holiday and slow to get back up to speed after mentality.

• Like 1

Glad to hear. Have been following your posts and was starting to miss them. When I don't get those little alerts saying that the thread has a post on it I get a little impatient for more. It's like a book you don't want to put down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you kind Sir, all is well, had some other important, but related things going on the last few weeks, but back into it now.Mind you, another damn holiday just started in China, 7 days this time, was 4 days last month. Hard to get things done when the place keeps stopping all the time for holidays, along with the slow down before the holiday and slow to get back up to speed after mentality.

...and they say Oz is the Land of the Long Weekend.

...and they say Oz is the Land of the Long Weekend.

China is a bit like the first half of the year of Oz for holidays, but has the second half the same as well, Then there's the "Days", Teachers day, Woman's day, Children's day (no Man's day, the sexist barstands) and a couple of others where they do actually come to work, gather and disappear to drink tea in the parks. Then there's birthdays which are always celebrated at lunchtime at a nearby restaurant and the hope of the workers putting any effort to finish the day is about nil - if they come back.

Used to be 2 hours for lunch and everyone went home, now it's more likely an hour but they still sleep somewhere for a half hour and all it does is make them lethargic for the afternoon.

The Bosses are worse, if you see them come back in the afternoon after their almost daily big lunches then it will likely be in a drunken state leaving the workers to fend for themselves (rarely any factory floor managers in China), I mention this for some of you to understand why there's quality issues sometimes, I don't stand for any of this bollshot of course, and it's not every factory, but many none the less, culturally ingrained.

• Informative 2

The Bosses are worse, if you see them come back in the afternoon after their almost daily big lunches then it will likely be in a drunken state leaving the workers to fend for themselves

Hmmm... aren't you the boss??

China is a bit like the first half of the year of Oz for holidays, but has the second half the same as well, Then there's the "Days", Teachers day, Woman's day, Children's day (no Man's day, the sexist barstands) and a couple of others where they do actually come to work, gather and disappear to drink tea in the parks. Then there's birthdays which are always celebrated at lunchtime at a nearby restaurant and the hope of the workers putting any effort to finish the day is about nil - if they come back.Used to be 2 hours for lunch and everyone went home, now it's more likely an hour but they still sleep somewhere for a half hour and all it does is make them lethargic for the afternoon.

The Bosses are worse, if you see them come back in the afternoon after their almost daily big lunches then it will likely be in a drunken state leaving the workers to fend for themselves (rarely any factory floor managers in China), I mention this for some of you to understand why there's quality issues sometimes, I don't stand for any of this bollshot of course, and it's not every factory, but many none the less, culturally ingrained.

In the West we have such a different view of the Chinese. You certainly paint a different picture Bex. We are told that:

* our working days are too short ("the Chinese workers work ten hour days");

* we have too many holidays ("there are only three public holidays per years in China");

* we are dissatisfied with our pay and in fact we are overpaid ("Chinese workers are grateful to earn one-third our income and come to work in the morning with smiles on their faces because the factory gives such wonderful employment opportunities"); and,

* we have poor productivity ("the Chinese produce more per hour than we do because they are so much more focussed on the tasks").

• Informative 1

* our working days are too short ("the Chinese workers work ten hour days");

Typical is 8.30 through to 5.30 with a 1 hour lunch. No tea breaks. Used to be 6 days, now is 5. Many will put in overtime each day, say 1 to 2 hours and Sat morning.

* we have too many holidays ("there are only three public holidays per years in China");

There is actually technically 3 or 4 days official public holidays, but it sure don't work like that. Today is the last day of this 7 day break of the official National Day one day holiday (October 1st). Mind you workers will work through this weekend until next weekend, so it's more like 5 days with the weekend bought forward. that's very common.

* we are dissatisfied with our pay and in fact we are overpaid ("Chinese workers are grateful to earn one-third our income and come to work in the morning with smiles on their faces because the factory gives such wonderful employment opportunities");

Chinese do indeed appreciate their jobs and many consider or hope that's their job for life. "1/3" income, more like 1/6th actually, is relative to the 1/50th cost of living. Nothings on hock, most own everything they have, from house, car, white'goods etc.

I'll tell you one massive difference to a Chinese worker though, when they finish work, that's it, finished, no talking or especially moaning and whining about the day's work or mention of it at their social gatherings.

* we have poor productivity .

Hard to say, an Australian worker will produce way more than a Chinese worker for any given hour, but the Chinese just plod along without stopping. Very much "The Tortoise and the Hare" scenario.

The Chinese are less than satisfactorily "focused on their task", Australians take far more pride and put more effort into their tasks.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Speaking of "1/50 the living cost", I just got my car rego.....037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Well cars are just as dear here as Oz, which makes them quite expensive here relative.

By "living costs" I was referring to water, electricity, gas, milk & bread, home ownership, etc ..

Home ownership is about on par with a car, almost dollar for dollar for size and quality, $40,000 will get you a "Holden Commodore" equivalent home, etc.

Some years back I bought my Mazda 6 and my house the same year at exactly the same price.

Denice and I went over to Xian to celebrate my son's 21st birthday back in 2010 so a while ago now. We went to dinner there was 10 of us. Dane and 7 other of his friends he worked with. Pretty reasonable restaurant too. We had a 10 course banquet for 10 people and we didnt finish all the food and we all had large beers as well. The end of the night I picked up the bill. I nearly fell over ..the bill ended up about 50 bucks in aussie dollars. Dane used to catch the bus a lot to get around or even a taxi as they were so cheap. One side of town to the other in the bus was like 20 cents and a taxi was like 5 bucks for similar distance. Mind you its russian roulette on the road. Dane said they dont have any road rules in China....only road "suggestions", I believe that too. Never been so scared when on the roads there...even in a bus its terrifying :)

He lives and works in Shanghai now although its a lot more expensive there for his apartment rent,food and transport. But he loves it there. I dont think he will be coming back here for a many long time except for some holidays

• Winner 1

Dane said they dont have any road rules in China....only road "suggestions", I believe that too. Never been so scared when on the roads there...even in a bus its terrifying :)

Imagine how peeved I get when my Missus gets up me for doing some minor wrong while driving when every moron around me is trying to kill me.

Well now the holidays have finished, a bunch of parts just arrived from the laser cutters so off to make some wings, can't sit around talking crap to you guys all day ....

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1