The XPB Stage 1 underway.

So today I assembled the vertical stab onto the rear rear turtle deck sheets, again as per post #541 above, and threw it on, it's so stupidly easy you even question yourself if it should be so easy.

I need to make a few minor changes, one example is my 'spine' is too short, needs to run all the way to the tail post (the spine has that green foam in it for support to drill and rivet against).

Image7.jpg.0aefc3774a37d87cc01d31a26ea6e55a.jpg

Image8.jpg.e4b860770ded75ba5ddfe99c3cc25859.jpg

Image9.jpg.aded4024e9f33638ee909d5da9c5afe7.jpg

Image6.jpg.0fb19de8e9cec85f2bcdc7e17ad9ec44.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting that you view your design from the front when deciding what's left or right. I always think in terms of facing the way it goes, not where it's coming from. Like your simplicity of design though Bex but I do wonder a bit about yaw strength.

• Haha 1

In the end I not only increased the length of the spine, I ended up running it the complete length of the 2 turtledecks, from the top of the roll bar (and a real roll bar too for your safety), to the bottom of the tail post.

Dang it made it easy to hang the dorsal fin, rudder and rear turtledeck from, as well as adding strength to the complete structure for a weight penalty of under 1kg/2lbs.

It also makes it easy to align the front and rear turtledecks as can be seen here, very smooth junction between them with just a couple of rivets at this time, happy about that.

Image12.jpg.2b3e014026ece067529b14080a215f30.jpg

Image13.jpg.64f79fc36cdbd30e14511775c14bcb23.jpg

Image10.jpg.8936ebeb44806ad03920a30881a73b20.jpg

Image11.jpg.ad7f34f029e2a5e093dfb83b9b232f90.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 3

Tailwheel or Tricycle?

I am aiming eventually at a cheap kit, hoping to be one of the cheapest (if not "the cheapest") in the world for a 'real' plane.

This would in my mind will encourage new people into flying, so it kind of goes hand in hand that Tricycle is going to be easier and safer to learn/operate for that demographic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Have you got any diagonal bracing across the fuselage, near the front of the vertical stabiliser?

It is a complete structure.

Some elements are not currently fitted because they simply get in the way.

Found an interesting specialized aluminium truss company locally so am trying some little experiments. Have been working with them for a couple of days and have ordered some parts to see if they will pan out or not, so stay tuned for when they arrive in about a week.

• Like 1

Found an interesting specialized aluminium truss company locally so am trying some little experiments. Have been working with them for a couple of days and have ordered some parts to see if they will pan out or not, so stay tuned for when they arrive in about a week.

Who remembers "Yes What" (starring Greenbottle and Bottomly) on Sydney's 2UE? I couldn't wait for the next episode which appeared twice per week.

This thread is starting to be like that: I am awaiting the next development!!

• Like 1

One of my little experiments is finished and should be in transport tomorrow, I'll talk more about it when I see the results for myself ....

370683283_firsttest.jpg.2fb8c923e724a5646c0d7872c5c80a6c.jpg

adswttn.

• Like 2