Maintenance release forms

Apparently the RAAus no longer produce maintenance release forms - the head office advised me to aquire some CASA forms. These work out at $165 per book and I don't need or want 50! Thoughts please!

Create your own in Excel if you know how, then keep an electronic version up to date. It is a good check on fuel usage calcs etc. the printed blank can look identical to the CASA one if you wish, but I don't think t is compulsory to be identical.

If you are flying GA you need the maintenance release which is individually numbered and also not cheap to buy.

If you want to use it for RAAus maintenance records as I do there is no need for the numbered version. Either copy the real thing or as pmcarthy suggested, make your own.

Apparently the RAAus no longer produce maintenance release forms - the head office advised me to aquire some CASA forms. These work out at $165 per book and I don't need or want 50! Thoughts please!

I can get you a copy then you can print them out as you need them.

Regards,

KP

That PDF form is the RAAus one. I didn,t consider it was as good as the one used for GA.

Pretty sure he asked for the RA one, I don't think it is as good as the GA one either but not what he asked for

• 2 months later...

The one which Aldo did the PDF for ( thanks Aldo) is identical to a CASA one in my possession except its called Maintenance Record instead of Maintenance Release.

Neither form has a column for MIF ( maintenance-induced failure) which Mike Busch says is one of the most common causes of incidents.

I knew this guy who crashed in a Cessna because the oil-drain plug had been put in only finger-tight and it came off in flight. The best defence I know against these MIFs is a second pair of eyes , but I would hate to see this made compulsory.

• Agree 1

When I clicked on your attached file Bleve, I got an ad for microsoft office instead. They sure want my money.

I would like to have a better form with more room to write stuff, and you may well have done this.

I just tried it, it seems ok, it's just an excel spreadsheet - if you don't have excel, you can open it with Libreoffice or Openoffice (both free, and cross-platform, will work on PC, Mac & various flavours of UNIX). It *might* even open on Google Docs.

Maintenance Induced Failure. What a sad commentary on the system. The fact is an aircraft straight out of maintenance is often not reliable and requires some form of testing, and associated rectification. I've experienced plenty of it and flight testing is done less and less now, and it needs to be done by a person with skills above those expected of the average Joe, owner . This is a problem for the "means of repair" set up and I would suggest less likely to be the situation where the owner -builder does the repairs or supervises them. You shouldn't have to expect your "repaired" plane to be unsafe.. Paper work won't alter ONE thing. Just ups the costs and uses more time, most of the time. Nev

• Like 1

I dunno that higher-rated pilots are necessarily better. The worst incident I have seen at Gawler in nearly 50 years was a test flight by a very experienced pilot ( ex 747 captain, owner of LSA these days) . In hindsight, he was over-confident, which is just what being highly-qualified can do to you.

Thank goodness he climbed out before the crash-landed plane caught fire.

Of course, you need to be competent in the type of plane you are about to fly. There was a near-incident once when the pilot, who only had flown slow Gazelle types, nearly lost control on his first flight with a slippery low-wing glass type.

I'm very careful what I say Bruce. I didn't say higher rated but anyone test flying a plane is by definition expected to handle the unexpected, and likely to have to exercise a higher skill level than the "normal" level trained pilot. 1,000's of hours are proof that you have done 1,000's of hours. Experience is something that should make you wiser and know that you don't know everything, but if you have actually done certain things many times you are ahead of those who don't even know these things may happen. That is training as distinct to a lot of flying. Overconfidence is giving yourself credit for something that you haven't actually earned or proven. A level of confidence is necessary to do anything well, but must be based in reality of assessing and fulfilling the task and a skill level sufficient to do it competently. Nev

If you don't have Microsoft Office for Excel, you can download OpenOffice free of charge. It will open in Open Office Calc. I've just checked it.