OzRunways - Premium or Not?

Dinga

Hi All,

As my OzRunways subscription rapidly approaches I noticed that the Premium subscription has increased to $169.

I was wondering how many of you use the full Premium and how many go for the standard VFR ($99) maybe with a second tablet add on ($20). This is $50 less than the full subscription and I'm not really sure how much benefit I am getting from the full package.

I fly a 582 Microlight so I'm not exactly breaking distance boundaries, what are your thoughts on this and what you gain from the AOPA Airfields and Pilots Touring Guide add-ons?

Cheers.

I went through this 2 months ago! Ha ha....

Ended up going from the premium to basic and I'm happy I did.

Really lost very little in information that I could find elsewhere.

There are rumours about the aopa and airstrips guides being quite out of date and no interest in updating them from the respective owners. Not sure how true that is......

I have a second sub on my phone which I think is included on my basic sub.

Overall, I just didn't see continued value in the premium and havn't missed it.

• Agree 2

I’m not interested in either of the "popular" EFBs until they produce a Windows version - just saying - someone in their orgs might see my comment!?!

Got to ask, why a windows version? Take it you have a surface? Or is it just for flight planning on the ground?

Yep I have a Surface Pro and a Windows 950XL phone... I know the phones are not widespread but it's by far the best phone I have used or helped others use IMHO (I do a fair bit of seniors IT support)... If an App runs on Windows 10 it will run on Windows 10 phones!

Yep I have a Surface Pro and a Windows 950XL phone...!

Good for you. I personally am no more interested in being Bill's bitch than I am in being Apple's bitch. Have you tried an Android?

I am also interested if you still enjoy your Beta VCR?

• Agree 1
  • More 1

Yep I have a Surface Pro and a Windows 950XL phone... I know the phones are not widespread but it's by far the best phone I have used or helped others use IMHO (I do a fair bit of seniors IT support)... If an App runs on Windows 10 it will run on Windows 10 phones!

Think you will be out of luck there!!. Not many people would want that and a surface pro is too big for the cockpit. (Plus much more expensive) You can get an andriod tablet with 4G for not too much, may be worth the investment otherwise you will be waiting for many many years. There is emulators by the way to run andriod apps on windows 10, but you may luck out with functionality (ie GPD)

Good for you. I personally am no more interested in being Bill's bitch than I am in being Apple's bitch. Have you tried an Android?I am also interested if you still enjoy your Beta VCR?

So you're quite happy being locked into the g*%$le hegemony then? I'd trust either of the others way ahead of them... Just my biased opinion :-).

So you're quite happy being locked into the g*%$le hegemony then? I'd trust either of the others way ahead of them... Just my biased opinion :-).

I use an iPad, but have an android phone for backup, and use windows pc at home. So not locked in and keep myself device agnostic as much as possible. Just limiting yourself to windows devices, you will be waiting a long time and being locked to a certain platform. But if you need one now, look at all the options and make an appropriate call. I suggested android as it is cheaper than an ipad.

I use an iPad, but have an android phone for backup, and use windows pc at home. So not locked in and keep myself device agnostic as much as possible. Just limiting yourself to windows devices, you will be waiting a long time and being locked to a certain platform. But if you need one now, look at all the options and make an appropriate call. I suggested android as it is cheaper than an ipad.

I take your point and agree largely. It just narks me a bit.

There is a Windows product called AirNav. Has anyone had experience with this product? Sorry if this is off topic. Maybe I should have started a new thread? I am very willing to be guided on this? I'm new here!

I take your point and agree largely. It just narks me a bit.There is a Windows product called AirNav. Has anyone had experience with this product? Sorry if this is off topic. Maybe I should have started a new thread? I am very willing to be guided on this? I'm new here!

Understand how it would nark you. I use to have a windows phone many years ago, gave it up due to not being able to get the apps I wanted and functionality. But I am happy with my Nexus 5x.

Is the one below the one you are referring to?

Sentient Software | AirNAV VFR best moving map and flight planner in Australia

If so, looking at the ipad app and the text quoted on the website, not sure if they have been kept up to day. Has a 30 day trial so no harm to give it a go. But you will find most use either 1 of the 2 popular EFB's. I personally use OzRunways and find it really good on the iPad.

• Winner 1

...Is the one below the one you are referring to?

Sentient Software | AirNAV VFR best moving map and flight planner in Australia

If so, looking at the ipad app and the text quoted on the website, not sure if they have been kept up to day. Has a 30 day trial so no harm to give it a go. But you will find most use either 1 of the 2 popular EFB's. I personally use OzRunways and find it really good on the iPad.

Yes that's the one. I did email the admin and they do maintain the product but not the website. I plan to run the 30 day trial when I'm closer to navs. Not far to go now :-).

So now I am Google's bitch...tech life seems to be like that, you get owned if you want to play. There is little joy for early adopters of second string technologies, hence my comment about the VCR, but I doubt there is any more joy for an adopter of a late entry(on mobile devices) third string technology. All you can hope is that it is the next big thing and that Apple and Android get consigned to the Beta VCR basket. Good luck with that.

My two bobs worth is it all comes down to personal choice, those that have windows based systems will say they are the best, those that run apple or androids will do the same.

I run the premium OzRunways on my IPad & IPhone 6, I believe that you get what you pay for and choice is a personal thing.

I just did a trip from Kununurra to Albany and can't speak highly enough of OzRunways Premium on my IPad but I do prefer Apple, my choice.

No matter which program or technical device we purchase when you think about it we are always going to be someone's bitch

✈️ Cheers

Kunners to Albany, sheeez that's a long way!:-) Out of curiosity do you still carry paper charts or rely solely on GPS for Nav?

Both is my choice but I rarely refer to the paper in flight, planning on the ground for reporting points I like to do on paper but it also can be done in OzRunways

✈️ Cheers

If you want a Windows flight planner - give Command Flight Planner a whirl (www.commandsoftware.com.au). Its now owned by the folks behind AvPlan EFB (me). Real soon now you can do all your planning on your windows machine then wirelessly push your plans to your iPad/iPhone or Android tablet (and THEN wirelessly push your plan to your panel (Dynon SkyView or Avidyne IFD). Pretty cool!

There are no certified providers doing an EFB for Windows as yet (and AirNav isn't a certified provider). To be an EFB the screen size needs to be greater than 200mm, which rules out all windows phones to my knowledge.

There are some smaller windows tablets out there, but you're spending just as much as an iPad or a decent Android tablet.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I let my Command flight planner subscription lapse soon after getting Ozrunnways.

I used it for some years and found it excellent for Xcountry.

The return trip was always a pain as you need a printer and PC available.

i mostly got around this by printing out my return plan, leaving the columns blank and filling in later via laptop from BOM.

Took some time which I didn't always have.

Happy with my current OZ subscription which is one up from the basic.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

It seems that OzRunways are soon going to release their own airfield guide:

• The OzRunways Airfield Guide will replace the AOPA AFD Subscription.

• All existing AOPA and Premium subscriptions will convert over to the new OzRunways Guide in late November.

• You won't need to do anything; it will just start working automatically!

• The OzRunways Airfield Guide is a completely new, ground-up product developed by our data team in accordance with ICAO data processing standards.

• The OzRunways Airfield Guide will be constantly maintained and always showing the latest data available. You will see more airfields added over time.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• All existing AOPA and Premium subscriptions will convert over to the new OzRunways Guide in late November.

• The OzRunways Airfield Guide is a completely new, ground-up product developed by our data team in accordance with ICAO data processing standards.

• The OzRunways Airfield Guide will be constantly maintained and always showing the latest data available. You will see more airfields added over time.

Look forward to seeing it

Just thought I would throw these comments into the mix -

Recently my OZRunways will not delete old/redundant plans - in truth they go and then return like phantoms. OR say it's a known but rare problem that they have no explanation for (some help). By way of an experiment I have just deleted 5 out of 8 plans. Turned my iPad off - paused - on again. All 8 are back!!

I may be imagining it, but my OR seems a little slow these days. Could part of this be the inability to get rid of unused data??

I really dont like the new fuel planning - for me its no where near as intuitive as the old, where I could see at a glance where I was running short of fuel and how much additional was required for the next leg(s).

I have a load of useless categories now like "Hover" "AWK""Holding" "Approach" Even taxi is questionable in my situation(s)

I am concerned that OR is trying to become all things to all pilots and mucking up what was, for me, an excellent VFR planning/navigation tool.

of interest skippy, how old is your device? I currently have an ancient old ipad 3, and apps that used to run fine, are slow. In windows parlance it may need a reformat and reload. Ie. restore to a factory fresh iOS install?

It would be good to get the "country airstrips guide" included in this as well.

I don't think there has been much development of this and in some respects it is more important than the AOPA one.

My hard copy of the country airstrips guide has proved invaluable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1