The shiny new-look RAA?

NT5224

Hello robinsm, I think the value of the empire building is crumbling the reserves going/have gone into keeping it all afloat. One can only use the capital for so long and it runs dry, after it is dry there is not much hope.KP

I agree, the income is finite, not expanding so to prosper, either less outgoings or more incomings. Obviously neither is being done inj the poor management, spending model we have now.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about the LOT . This is the eternal question. The advertising "revenue" is an unknown so is the recruitment effect. The cost is also known and it's not a revenue raiser based on past experience.. IF the management are responding to a member driven response I wouldn't be too condemnatory of giving it a try. Going GA MK2 I don't agree with..That's a different matter and a core issue. Nev

• Agree 3

The largest portion of reserves being spent is on keeping paper magazine alive.........100% what members demanded.

I, like many others , damn sure didn't demand it. Apart from letters to the editor, most of the content is of little interest or information to the original membership of AUF/low & slow. Blurbs about the latest plastic fantastics at ca$125K, and self-promos about how good things are going in Fyshwick is not justification for the magazine expenditure. How many paid advertisers have opted out over the past year? As my crude brother-in-law would say "it's a boil on our ar..se". Ask me how I feel...... Riley

• Agree 2

The largest portion of reserves being spent is on keeping paper magazine alive.........100% what members demanded.

IWithout proof I would disagree with your statement. If the magazine is that expensive, then how about listing the other expenses the RAA has. It seemed to do OK before the modern drive to be all to everyone, corporation and salaried officers. Your membership fees paid for it, now its an added cost iof you need it. Where has the money gone. Obviously not on member beneftits. More regulation, larger salaries, computer systems, jaunts etc etc. Unfortunately many will say thats progress and get with the times. Why, they have reinvented something that did not need reinventing and the membership is paying for it.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I wonder about that percentage? I for one, don't read it unless something important or controversial is brought to my attention.

Dont bother with it now, its all shiny advertising for the expensive end of the sport. A nod to real pilots every now and then but otherwise a waste of computer space. Gave up the paper version when it became a cost, not a benefit.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

It's about the LOT . This is the eternal question. The advertising "revenue" is an unknown so is the recruitment effect. The cost is also known and it's not a revenue raiser based on past experience.. IF the management are responding to a member driven response I wouldn't be too condemnatory of giving it a try. Going GA MK2 I don't agree with..That's a different matter and a core issue. Nev

Certain members in the management level are hell bent on pushing for GA Mk II.. I am not sure if members are aware that certain aspects in Tech and Opps are well above CASA requirements, so who is pushing GA Mk II.?

I still wonder why the last Tech Manual was sent to CASA for approval. (Under the cover of secrets.)

KP.

I may appear to be very negative. I can understand the need to move with the times, its the empire building, chasing after GA benefits and disregarding the core of the sport that I have a problem with. We are heading towards over regulation because we (the individual pilots) cant be trusted to govern our own safety and behave as we have been behaving with no problems for many years. All of a sudden someone who builds their own aircraft is not competent, without a piece of paper, to look after it. If you built it and fly it, surely you have a vested interest in keeping it flying safely. Who else knows your aircraft like you the builder. The accident rate in RAA registered aircraft is low so why should we be subject to GA style regulation when all of their rules have not changed the accident rate either. Common sense seems to be out and rules and regulations are in. Example, why should I have to get a piece of paper (L1 cert) to service and repair the aircraft I built and maintained. A ludicrous situation. Maybe time for a basic recreational flying body that actually looks after pilots and their ultralight aircraft, (oh, sorry, we had one of those. Dont know what happened to it)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I clearly recall quite a few years ago now that WE would NEVER be required to do more than GA was, in any area.

We are NOT GA.. We wouldn't have formed if GA was OK for everyone. When we do become the New GA obviously the need that drove the formation of AUF/RAAus will still exist. So let's confirm what we already suspect and get going on the form of the AUF before another ten years of going backwards happens and we lose more frustrated aviators. OUR RAAus has been hijacked from us for growth at any cost "corporate structured bureaucracy" that we have little or no real control over. Just what WE didn't need... Nev

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

There have been numerous quoted examples, from what I would have thought were reliable sources. I Haven't kept a list . That's not really my job. Not overall, ( I'm not saying THAT) but isolated instances which would appear to be directly against the stated principle which was quite clear at the outset. Nev

If the old AUF hadnt changed and adapted it would be long gone.

Im not trying to challenge ideas but the instances of change in RAA dont seem to be a big deal.

L1 online test..... not that difficult and not automatically granting maintenance to everyone untested was never going to last. Sure theres plenty who have skills and experience beyond it, just tick the box and move on.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I'm not suggesting it wouldn't change. everything does but "We are the NEW GA" doesn't cut it for me at all.. Ticking boxes may be the new way bit it's indicative of the problem.. Cover your @r$e by the organisation. I hoped for a lot better. It'll have my support when it's more for what we started out being and that's OWNER builder Maintenance and cheap affordable simple flying. The new direction is now clear. I'm NOT really for it. More practical pilot influence would reflect more satisfaction for the PILOTS who make/are the show. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I may appear to be very negative. I can understand the need to move with the times, its the empire building, chasing after GA benefits and disregarding the core of the sport that I have a problem with. We are heading towards over regulation because we (the individual pilots) cant be trusted to govern our own safety and behave as we have been behaving with no problems for many years. All of a sudden someone who builds their own aircraft is not competent, without a piece of paper, to look after it. If you built it and fly it, surely you have a vested interest in keeping it flying safely. Who else knows your aircraft like you the builder. The accident rate in RAA registered aircraft is low so why should we be subject to GA style regulation when all of their rules have not changed the accident rate either. Common sense seems to be out and rules and regulations are in. Example, why should I have to get a piece of paper (L1 cert) to service and repair the aircraft I built and maintained. A ludicrous situation. Maybe time for a basic recreational flying body that actually looks after pilots and their ultralight aircraft, (oh, sorry, we had one of those. Dont know what happened to it)

A few years back who can remember the incessant noise on this forum, the experts having their say and exposing their knowledge.

""The board is doing it wrong and we are the new messiahs."" We have them - now steering the ship.

Well Hmmmmmmm what has happened?

Things are worse now *the board is absolutely silent and RAAus is going to be the next 1/2 or very mini GA.

Where RAAus started those little treasures are now for gotten

Medicals are getting tougher.. Registration is getting tougher. May as well go fishing the plane is now worthless....OR....Keep it out in the digglies.

KP

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

So with this recent digging at RAA Kieth does that give us a hint that ELAAA is getting closer to being an option?

The only ELAA I know of is the..... Early Learning Association of Australia .... Bob

• Like 1

SDQDI.. The answer to your question.(A) NO

However I do not enjoy seeing good honest people being taken advantage of and it is only just a display of egos.

When I see some wrong I do step up and tell the people they are being taken advantage of.

I hope that answered your question SDQDI.

KP

I'm still here, Keith, though I couldn't be bothered to take a whole lot of notice..

But seriously: the ELAAAAAAAAA was supposed to be all the go some - what - 15 months ago? It seems to be spinning its wheels in a boggy patch.

• Agree 1

I'm still here, Keith, though I couldn't be bothered to take a whole lot of notice..But seriously: the ELAAAAAAAAA was supposed to be all the go some - what - 15 months ago? It seems to be spinning its wheels in a boggy patch.

Well obviously you have not bothered to taken any notice at all.

Part149 and Part103 have had their implementation dates postponed, so we have had to re write everything. Then to add some fun the goal posts had some wheels engineered into the design of them.

KP

• Informative 1