Savannah battery

Rodr

Not owning a Savannah I am not 100% certain what battery is used, but I seem to remember seeing an Odyssey PC680 in one. That would be a good bet I would think, it works well with my Jabiru 2200 and also My Lycoming O-320

I would suggest that a Full River HC20 would be a better bet if the PC680 is specified. Current price $300 for the Odyssey and less than $150 for the full river.

I use the Full River in my RV4 with no problems.

For my 912 uls (not sav) odyssy pc625 (4wdextreme on ebay, couldnt find cheaper in aus).

Behind pilot seat. 16mm2 multistrand/flex cable. Industrial lugs NOT cheap auto ones.

400 rpm cranking. Voltage drop not below 10V.

I'm very happy with that. Factory set up was a total failure and would have done a sprag clutch by now.....about 3 grand to fix.

Very important on the rotax to crank them over hard and fast......

• Informative 1

If your battery is in the rear be careful putting in a pure lead battery like the oddysey. A normal battery is around 8kg but the pure lead are 3 kg or so heavier that will greatly effect your balance. I use a gell cloth AGM battery in my XL and no spillage or drama and the first one I changed out after 5 years but it was still ok and useable just a little down in capacity

Would a rear mounted battery be placed there to get the C of G correct? If so using a heavier battery could enable you to move it forward and lessen the length of heavy cable needed. That is of course dependent upon finding a location that is not already in use.

The XL needs the battery in the back otherwise it is too nose heavy...like mine was when you put the battery in the "new" position behind the pilot. The S requires it at the front. My manual said to put it there but I found out later that the battery goes in the back for a XL but of course the manual doesnt tell you this or even mention the back mounting holes...there are special holes there for the bracket AND also holes for the forward battery mounting position. You maybe able to shift the position which you would need to do I would think going on how mine is. It wouldnt be hard to use a different position just have to make all new holes

In my Savannah VG.

They last 7 years.

Make Deka

Model ETX18L

Type Absorbed Glass

Width 91 mm

Length 206 mm

Height 163 mm

Weight 8 Kgs.

Volts 12

CCA 300

AmpHours 20

Terminals Bolt on

Price $175 - $220

I have a Motobatt MBTX20U. It is 6 years old & starts my Jab 3300 engine every time. The specs beat most others & the price is better. I just checked & a new one on ebay delivered to your door is $146.00 & it has a 2 year replacement warranty. Some shops charge $100.00 more for the same item. It is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) lead acid battery. American battery company & like most others now made in China. Having 4 terminals is also an advantage as you can have the starter circuit on 2 terminals with other peripheral electrics & charging circuit on the other 2.

Specs below.

MB Item Number MBTX20U

Voltage 12

CCA 310

Capacity (10HR) 21

Weight 6.50kg / 14.33lbs

Dimensions (in / mm) L: 6.89 (175) W: 3.43 (87) H: 6.10 (155)

Assembly Figure

Terminal Locations 4

Terminal 4, M6x2.5 (Parts#MPT2 and #MPT3)

Screws 4, M6x7 (Part#2xMPS2)

Allen Wrench 1, 4x4 (Part#MPAK2)

Terminal Caps 4, 12x5.5 (Part#2xMPC2)

Spacer 2, 20mm Bottom (Part# MPBS7), 13mm Back (Part#MPSS)

Case Color Yellow

s-l500.jpg

If it's legal, you could save mobs of weight by installing a Lithium Ferro Phosphate battery (the one which doesn't burn). The other consideration is the changed CoG, but that might be an opportunity to carry more emergency gear to stay in balance. My LiFePO4 only weighs 1.7 kg and is rated at 400CCA.

Lithiumax Car, Boat and Bike Starter Batteries

I hope I can manage to put a LiFePo batterie to the Firewall and theirby saving some meters heawy wire. Still I don't know which side of the firewall to chose. The warm side is the one with the easy access. But whould that be to warm?

wondering what type and manufacturer of battery most are using buying here in oz for the Sav 912 Rotax

In my experience you wont go far wrong with an SSB Powersport XR Series battery.

I dont know about the ultralight " Lithium Ferro Phosphate battery (the one which doesn't burn)" mentioned by Old Koreelah so wont comment further..

The battery I have been using for the last three years, is a modern development of the conventional lead acid battery and is compatible with my Rotax battery charging/regulator system. It is much lighter and more powerful than batteries that were available when my aircraft was commissioned in 2000.

In my aircraft I used Model No. RB16CL-B but others with different terminal orientation are available.

CCA 385

AH 19 (20)

Weight 6.60 KG

Length 175 mm

Width 100 mm

Height 175 mm (including terminals)

I purchased mine 3 years ago for $139 inc GST. It provides fast powerful cranking of my 912ULS, in a package that fits within my dimensional & W&B requirements.

This is a motorcycle battery (designed for a high vibration environment) that can not be bettered on price for performance/weight/longevity.

• 3 months later...

I am not all that happy placing a LEAD-ACID battery on my aircraft. Any acid that spills is likely to cause untold damage to the airframe. ICP supplies a (heavy) lead acid battery which doesnt impress me.

I think I will be looking fora LiFePo battery or similar.

I use a glass matt one..no spillage...Not keen on anything Li at the moment off the Rotax..the charging system is way too dirty for Li batteries. My first glass matt one lasted 6 years and it really didnt need changing but I did it just to be sure..wasnt that expensive. Its a sport type they use in jetskis etc

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A Sydney firm, Lithiumax Car, Boat and Bike Starter Batteries sold me my drop-in LiFePO4.

It's rated at 400 CCA, has built-in management circuits and weighs only 1.6kg. Even on the coldest morning it really spins my Jab engine (I'd better keep an eye on those flywheel bolts).

It's predicted to last a decade, and requires no maintenance. Mine loses less than 0.01V per month in storage.

The light weight may require some rearranging of gear to preserve CoG.

Tom

Thats exactly what you want if you are going to use a Li battery...we were looking at making a new reg for the rotax because the one supplied is crap really. Looks like the germans have recognised this as well and finally made what should have been done in the first place. With that reg I would have no issues with using a Li battery

A Sydney firm, Lithiumax Car, Boat and Bike Starter Batteries sold me my drop-in LiFePO4.It's rated at 400 CCA, has built-in management circuits and weighs only 1.6kg. Even on the coldest morning it really spins my Jab engine (I'd better keep an eye on those flywheel bolts).

It's predicted to last a decade, and requires no maintenance. Mine loses less than 0.01V per month in storage.

The light weight may require some rearranging of gear to preserve CoG.

This LiFePo4 battery above is rated at 26 Ah. The one supplied by ICP is only 18 Ah.

• 4 years later...
On 29/01/2018 at 4:09 PM, eightyknots said:

This LiFePo4 battery above is rated at 26 Ah. The one supplied by ICP is only 18 Ah.

The above link is defunct: the replacement seems to be: Lithiumax 500CA RACE5 LCD Engine Starter Battery | Lithiumax 2020