Bloody Jetstar

Admin

Got an email saying my flight has been delayed "due to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft"...the same thing happens every week....don't you think they would do something about it seeing it happens every week

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, flight has now been delayed another half hour...that's 1hr 10min delay so far...and the night is still young

IF you get thick fog at a major airport you get resulting delays for a half day at least. It throws the whole network out with interconnecting flights and scheduled short turn arounds. No buffer to take up the delays.. High utilisation and load factor are absolutely needed to have low fares. If the plane's not almost filled you fly at a loss.. If you fly at a loss, soon you aren't flying at all.. Nev

So the thread title becomes "Bloody Airlines" or "Bloody domestic flying in Winter" or "Bloody Kingsford Smith curfew strikes again"

All the airlines are doing it. "It" being the planned over allocation of resources even in the face of obvious issues. Hot tip: An airline doesn't need to be good, it just needs to be not as terrible as *cough cough tiger airways* the worst airline they are competing with.

I agree that JQ kicked a massive own goal on Thursday night and Friday and that the people wanting to get where they were going copped a bad deal. This includes some people who paid big bux for a fully flexible fare up the pointy end.

Here is the bit of perspective we are / I am missing: While people in really expensive houses live under the north(?) bound arrival flight path at YSSY and vote, the curfew will remain in place; and "Nobody died in an AU domestic airline crash on Friday night"

Aeroplanes are a lot quieter than they used to be. It's a modern world. Having a noise curfew for a major international airport just doesn't fit reality.. If you want to be Australia's #1 Gateway suck it up . It's going to be a lot worse when Badgery's Creek gets going. 8 OCTA's aluminium and Carbon fibre at 3,000 feet.. Ah Progress.. That's what results when you overcapitalize a restricted area which was once a lovely place. not so long ago. . Nev

I agree that the aircraft are a lot quieter than the old 727s and similar. So much quieter that the source of noise at flight idle now appears to be air over the gear, gear doors and flaps.

I didn't suggest that the people voting in favour of any curfew were going to listen to reason, just that they had enough say and money to vote the member for the federal electorate of Grayndler out of office should the curfew be lifted.

I'm suggesting they want the benefits but not so many of the disadvantages. Around Mascot the properties have changed hands many times. The presence of the airport and what it does is no secret, so no one there can really whinge with justification. Perhaps in the South West It's a slightly different matter..Nev

There's a difference between the effect of aircraft noise on property values on the approaches to Kingsford-Smith and Badgerys Creek.

Kingsford-Smith started out being used by the size of aircraft that currently use Bankstown and Camden. The noise they produced, and the volume of traffic would have been minimal. Over time, as aircraft became larger flightpaths extended further over established residential areas. With the change from piston engines to turbines and turbofans, noise increased. From the 1960s traffic volumes increased. Those affected by noise from aircraft operating from Kingsford-Smith can justifiably say, "We were here first."

On the other hand, operations from Badgerys Creek will overfly land that is currently not developed for residential purposes, or is located at the edges of the noise gradient. If the surrounds do get developed for residential use, then the airport users can say, "We were here first. Caveat emptor." Buyers of residential land cannot complain if they haven't been diligent in examining the pros and cons of the area.

The time period you are considering, it's unlikely any home owner can say" I was here first". Those people are dead and buried. Houses are not people. If you buy a house the price and situation must have fit your needs or you wouldn't have purchased it. You got it cheaper than it would be without the aerodrome. Of course for many reasons building right up to an airport fence is stupid, but opportunity knocks and the dollar wins the argument.. The turbo FANS are more quiet than the straight through earlier engines that had supersonic jet efflux and they made crackling noises you could hear miles away when taking off. They also had rotten climb performance and on a hot day when heavy would need the earth's curvature to climb. Earlier pistons had no mufflers. Most turbo prop noise is from the propellers. Bigger planes were there from just after the war and all the bigger pistons had to do engine run ups before take off.. The newer stuff is very much quieter and climbs to height much more rapidly. Nev

It used to be said with modern Jet travel you can have your breakfast in Sydney, your lunch in Darwin and your baggage in Perth.. Now you can have 2 consecutive meals in your departure point. IF you must meet a deadline drive your car. Not easy if you're going to New Zealand, but what's the point of moving quickly in the air if you don't know how long it will be before you get off the ground.?. Nev

Been there, suffered that- twice.

I work hard to stay healthy and fit, and usually pay for extra leg room. I look forward to flying, and had to save up for each of the dozen or so commercial flights I've had.

Twice I've had that experience spoiled when enormous humans have clambered on to the aircraft and requested a seat belt extension (didn't know there was such a thing) then swagger down the aisle...and sit next to me.

I see that an airline in Samoa (or is it Tonga?) now charges air fares not per seat, but per kg passenger weight.

About time our airlines had the balls to do the same.

My nephew and niece flew out of Melbourne for the USA yesterday , they were booked on a UA flight when they got to the airport they were told al UA flights were grounded.....no other info...They got on to their travel agent who got the onto a Virgin flight , so all was not lost...They were pissed off by the lack of any info about the flights being grounded...apparently known for a few hours , they were told all AU world wide were grounded...so I looked on my tracker and low and behold I could see AU flying in other parts of the world . They were also pissed off about having to do all the security checks again .

Bernie .

Well it's Friday again and this time I thought I would be sneaky and catch an earlier flight so instead of the 6.15pm flight that always leaves a minimum 1hr and 10 mins to 4hrs late I booked on the 5.25 flight...ha, stick that Jetstar...........woke up this morning and I have an email that my 5.25 flight has been cancelled

They are out to get me

I see that an airline in Samoa (or is it Tonga?) now charges air fares not per seat, but per kg passenger weight.About time our airlines had the balls to do the same.

.............. BUT, that would n't benefit you Old K - the airline will surely make a dollar out of it ....... the seat size would remain the same

.......... how does someone else's penalty satisfy a fellow traveller

Maybe an airline has an obligation to provide 6 bigger seats per flight - for the portly flyers