Garfly

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had a look-see at the Vortex Generator vid. Some nice flying shots in it.

There were one approach though where he had the stall warning going off a long way out from touch down. Makes me nervous just watching it. 

In my opinion, in the sort of ops the video depicts, there’s no need to be flying slow until yer near touchdown.

Ive watched quite a few of this guys Vids, apart from putting my feet to sleep with his monotone drawl they are interesting:-) The way I look at VG's is that if you need them to get in & out of a particular strip then ya gotta ask yourself, do I need to be operating at the high end of the risk scale?

Short field Ldg's are all about energy management, most never practice them as 99% of the time as yr average GA driver has no need too.

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 1

That guy knows what he is doing.

And most normal people think anyone involved in ultralights ought to be asking themselves

"Do I need to be operating at the high end of the risk scale?"

Edited by Garfly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Student Pilot said:

Needs bigger tyres! 😁

I think part of the appeal of this guy  was that he was doing this stuff with a nosewheel and not overly large tires on a 182.

The 182 came to grief, but that was principally due to engine failure, which seems to have been  due to foreign matter blocking an oil passage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Flightrite said:

Good job we don’t have much of this going on in Oz udderwize we’d have bodies everywhere!

Geez, Flighty, even when you come across a recreational flyer with first class stick and rudder skills (and an exemplary safety message) you still manage to pull a negative message from it.  You're never happy, are ya!

Truth be told, I'd fly to any strip with that BC182 bloke, in a heartbeat, given the chance.  (Or, for that matter, with any experienced, right minded, PNG pilot on their daily mountain milk run.)   BC182 sums it up in the vid:  "Flying in the mountains can be very rewarding but you've got to do your homework and you've got to get the training." 

Done right, there's no reason we can't seek that kind of reward in OZ - without, necessarily, strewing bodies everywhere.

(Anyway, at our age, we're not even safe in a simulator.   ;- )

• Like 1
  • Caution 1