Life Jackets

rgmwa

Had a look a BCF recently and they had a good range of Marlin jackets. All aimed at boating of course and most not ideal for aircraft, but should be able to find something good enough for the odd trip overseas from Perth to Rottnest and back. Thanks for the replies.

True. The Marlin MK150 looks almost identical to the Revere Comfortmax from Spruce

Maybe joining a long line of companies rebranding and marking up the same products "cause it's aviation quality"..... :nod:

• Agree 1

True. My assumption is that you can flick switch or whatever so that it does not automatically inflate after going into the water with a Auto/manual model. If that is the case it could be switched to auto when you are in your leaky tinny or manual when you are flying your never fail aircraft.

• Agree 1

@$&!!! Just bought one from BCF for $99. Thanks for the tip anyway.

If you are interested in getting the $40 back from your now used life jacket, it is entirely possible. 

1. Go into bcf claim their "price match" policy and buy one more.(I know this works as I just got 2 for $118 half an hour ago)

2. Go into bcf sometime later (maybe a few days) and return the newly purchased life jacket with the original receipt for $99 and get a refund. Bobs your uncle, You have now purchased your life jacket for $59.

For anyone who has bought and used an item, then seen it on special, this maybe a way of getting that special price retrospectively.......

Big thanks to Cosmick ?

For GA fliers, be careful... bear in mind those BCF life jackets are not legal - though they are perfectly suitable (typical CAsA)...

CAR 252 says CAsA can dictate what they feel is necessary as regards safety equipment. Which they do in...

CAO 20.11 Which says they must be "of a standard approved by CAsA" and - because why use one document when 3 will do, you will find the actual "approved standards" in....

AWB 25-013 which says a life jacket must meet a TSO, be inflatable and have a whistle. Best I can recall, those Marlin ones don't...

However.....If you are operating under CAO 95.8, 95.10, 95.12, 95.32 or 95.55, then CAR252 does not apply, and CAO95.55 (for example) simply says you must have a "life jacket" without mentioning standards.

Easy as! ?

Now, with all that being said, I use an inflatable Marlin 150N PFD and it fits quite comfortably not only over me, but also the survival vest I wear in the RV's cockpit. I hope I never have to test it, but that, coupled with ADS-B OzRunways Tracking and a PLB means I should hopefully get picked up if I can at least get out of the -9 in one piece.

• Like 2

Although I'm a land lubber, my one experience with life jackets might be useful.

My otherwise impressive instructor was not as his best when he took me on a Nav that included some flying over the ocean. As we climbed into the plane he tossed a couple of cardboard boxes behind the seats. Being an inquisitive young bloke, I asked what was in those boxes.

His nonchalant reply: life jackets.

That was the entirety of my briefing. Luckily we didn't end up in the briny.

A bit like some farmers I know who take off their seat belts when they leave tar roads; what's the point of having this expensive life-saving equipment if we aren't practiced in using it?

Obviously not an aviation certified whistle.

Moving the decimal point one place to the right would probably be enough "certification".....lol.

My bcf ones look to have the manual "blow" inflation tube as well as the gas cannister but not the whistle.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/marlin-australia-explorer-pfd-150-black/540757.html

• Like 1

If you are interested in getting the $40 back from your now used life jacket, it is entirely possible. 

1. Go into bcf claim their "price match" policy and buy one more.(I know this works as I just got 2 for $118 half an hour ago)

2. Go into bcf sometime later (maybe a few days) and return the newly purchased life jacket with the original receipt for $99 and get a refund. Bobs your uncle, You have now purchased your life jacket for $59.

For anyone who has bought and used an item, then seen it on special, this maybe a way of getting that special price retrospectively.......

Big thanks to Cosmick ?

Thanks Downunder and Cosmick.  I bought a second one from Anaconda so I've done OK overall. I thought BCF's price was reasonable, so I'm not comfortable trying to get my $40 back just because I could have done better elsewhere. Caveat emptor as the Romans used to say.

KR - Both my Marlin 150;s have a whistle and a backup inflation tube.  I'm GA and don't know about a TSO, but as long as they do the job that's good enough for me. 

Old Koreelah - I borrowed a couple of jackets for my last trip to Rotto. They were airline type in sealed plastic bags, which is OK if you're above 2,000 feet as legally you don't need to wear them, just have them available. But just try and put them on in a cramped cockpit on your way down from 2,000 feet in an emergency, or in the water after the crash, and see how you get on. At least with these I can put them on before taking off. Cheap insurance.  I do have a top tier aviation life jacket (ex oil and gas industry) which has a re-breather unit that would allow me to stay underwater for up to 10 minutes, but it's bulky and without training I wouldn't like my chances. I'd wear it crossing Bass Strait or Spencer Gulf, but for a 15 minute over-water flight within sight of land the Marlins should do the job.