What is better SIM card deal for cellular iPads EFB

4 hours ago, onetrack said:

current ROI in the network infrastructure to the Telcos is 65%. I don't know why the Telcos are getting out of infrastructure ownership with that kind of return

Neither do I!  In 2021 most CEOs would give an arm or leg for anything close to that level of ROI.

19 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

I see Telstra have a 366 day 40GB mobile broadband plan for $150-

Does anyone use this on their ipad for OzRunways

I use that one for AVPlan on my iPad mini

• Like 1

I've been with Optus (via Amaysim) for years and now find that I often get better reception in odd places than Telstra. Today while sitting on the aero club veranda one of the guys was complaining about Telstra & did a 4G speed test. He got 30MB/s download and about 10MB/s upload. I did the same & got 75MB/s down load & 24MB/s upload which is better than I get at home on the NBN. My plan is $10.00 for 28 days with unlimited calls/texts & 2GB data. I use Airmate Nav which uses hardly any data so I use hardly any of the plan. It doesn't roll over though. They keep trying to get me to upgrade & throw in an extra 6GB free every now and then which I still don't use. I have the same plan on my tablet & the phone is only a backup for Nav. Data only plans cost more. I have only ever made about 5or 6 calls from the tablet.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Yes we use that one on an Android tablet, not for flying but for road trips.  The problem with any opinion on this sort of thing is that the plans change so often.  Until a few months back Telstra was offering a 180-day plan for $70 (I think) which gave something like 25 or 30GB.  It suited us well and was actually better value per GB than the 365-day plan.  Someone inside Telstra must have realised that it was too good, so it is no longer offered.  I was very annoyed by that.  But for travelling you really need a Telstra plan, because they do have the best coverage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, marshallarts said:

Yes we use that one on an Android tablet, not for flying but for road trips.  The problem with any opinion on this sort of thing is that the plans change so often.  Until a few months back Telstra was offering a 180-day plan for $70 (I think) which gave something like 25 or 30GB.  It suited us well and was actually better value per GB than the 365-day plan.  Someone inside Telstra must have realised that it was too good, so it is no longer offered.  I was very annoyed by that.  But for travelling you really need a Telstra plan, because they do have the best coverage.

Going to call at local Telstra shop and signup for it.  Have connected to my mobile but sometimes it’s a pain to connect so going to spend the coin on a dedicated SIM card plan.

I have a plan with Amaysim which is $10.00 a month and provides nationwide calls and texts plus 2GB of data which is more than adequate for running my apps on my Android tablet and I get phone calls as well. Amaysim uses the Optus network which apparently does not have quite as much coverage as Telstra but I haven't found it to be a problem yet & there are some places where Optus works & Telstra does not.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks for all comments and advice.  I have just finished setting up a Telstra plan for the 40GB, 365 days at $150.   Will be travelling out west in the Central and northern parts of Queensland so chose Telstra for the hopefully better coverage and hoping the 40Gb is enough.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Aldi uses Telstra network &  have a sim only plan that gives me 50GB for $99, If I pay before due date I get a rollover on balance left. I have flown around Aus with a previous Optus plan & had no problems.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Robert said:

Aldi uses Telstra network &  have a sim only plan that gives me 50GB for $99, If I pay before due date I get a rollover on balance left. I have flown around Aus with a previous Optus plan & had no problems.

Aldi are not in Mackay. Thanks for info.

Telstra wholesales parts of it’s mobile network to Aldi and others, but the Boost brand, which is Telstra-run within Australia, has access to the larger Telstra coverage.  

This webpage has a comparative coverage map  https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Telstra-network-coverage-vs-ALDI-Woolworths-Belong-Boost

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, John Robert said:

Aldi uses Telstra network

You have to read the small print.  I'm fairly sure that when I last looked, Aldi SIMs do not use ALL of the Telstra network.  It can be significant.

• Informative 1