RAA BFR - does a GA rating qualify

If you are able to fly a GA aircraft today legally - you can fly a RAA aircraft with a RAA pilot cert. No other BS required. Just bring your GA logbook that's says you are current with a GA BFR. You do not need to do a RAA BFR.
And if your last BFR was in a Bonanza or Cirrus...? It is not as simple as saying "If I can fly GA I can fly RAA"...

And if your last BFR was in a Bonanza or Cirrus...? It is not as simple as saying "If I can fly GA I can fly RAA"...

I dont think thats what SDCBD was inferring.

There's a few who would probably never adapt comfortably to a thing like a Drifter as you are too exposed in it for them. That goes for other RAAus types as well. not just people flying Bonanza's . The" low inertia" aspect is probably the main thing to watch and cope with but it's a decreasing % of the overall activity. Weightshift and 3 axis are different to a great degree also. . Nev

Hi KR how many hours have you got in GA and RAA? Beech or cirrus is not a problem with flying RAA. God I still fly twins and don't have a problem jumping in a RAA plane after that.

Yes if you are new to RAA from GA you would want to fly with an instructor to get the feel of RAA plane. But to the poster, why not just call any RAA CFI and ask the question not the RAA office instead of killing off all these electrons on the website with - BUT WHAT IF!!!!!!

I don't think you would be able to fly a taildragger RAAus aircraft without a taildragger RAAus endorssment even if you had a GA AFR on a nose dragger and no tailwheel endorsement for GA aircraft> I could be wrong, but if I am, then RAAus has got it all wrong safety wise.

It may be legal to fly using a GA AFR, but an AFR gained in a Bonanza for example would not make you competent to fly a drifter and I would not try to fly a drifter without some help from an instructor even though I have plenty of tailwheel experience and also Thruster time.

You can't generalise with this sort of thing. People vary so much.. ALL flying experiences add up to "something" extra in the skills base.. Planes are much more the "same" than many realise..

Yenn, the "tailwheel" is a big thing for some and might take something like 15 hours of solid training to get solo if they have flown years with pedals used for just resting your feet on.. The Drifter flies much like a Tiger Moth in my view. Much the same speeds /performance /handling 582 SB, even though it looks nothing like it. .Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Agree 1

Hi KR how many hours have you got in GA and RAA?
Enough to know your generalised statement doesn't comply with the RAAus Ops manual.

Yes, you can fly RAAus if your GA BFR is current, if, and only if that BFR was conducted in a GA aircraft under 1500Kg MTOW (or you were issued a rating/certain endo, etc). Hence my question about a Bonza or Cirrus - it ain't about performance and the ability to adapt, it is about complying with the Ops manual. If it (your last GA BFR) was conducted in a GA aircraft that has a greater MTOW, you don't comply with the requirements of the Ops Man and you still need an "RAAus" BFR - even though you are legal to fly a GA aircraft.

...why not just call any RAA CFI and ask the question not the RAA office instead of killing off all these electrons on the website...
Because - as has been proven in this thread - even when provided with the definitive answer, people still get it wrong and want to introduce personal opinion and hearsay into their response. Look at the grief I went through with my RV-9A & trying to get it on the RAAus register! Met the requirements of the CAO, proved it to anyone who asked, and yet I still had people upto and including RAAus Head Office saying "You don't meet the payload requirements, you can't register it RAAus", when that aspect only applied to LSA's, not homebuilt aircraft.

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MAINTENANCE OF A PILOT CERTIFICATE

5. Medical

A Pilot Certificate holder may only exercise the privileges of the certificate when meeting the requirements of the health standard as per Section 2.16 - Medical Requirements.

Flight Review

a. Within a period of two years immediately before the day of the proposed flight must have satisfactorily completed a flight review with a RAAus Examiner;

(i) unless approved in writing by the Operations Manager the flight review must be conducted in a recreational aeroplane of a similar aeroplane type in which the pilot flew the greatest amount of time as pilot in command, during the last ten flights; or

(ii) if the type of recreational aeroplane mentioned in Subparagraph 5 (a) (i) is a single place aeroplane, or is not fitted with fully-functioning dual controls, the RAAus Examiner may waive the flight check, providing they have satisfied themselves by discussion and observation, that the pilot is familiar with any changes in procedures or legislation, and is competent to continue to exercise the privileges of the Certificate; or

(iii) if the aeroplane is a two seat aeroplane which is not a type the RAAus Examiner is familiar with, an observed BFR may be completed, provided the RAAus Examiner has satisfied themselves by discussion and observation the pilot is familiar with changes to procedures or legislation, and is competent to continue to exercise the privileges of the Certificate.

b. After satisfactorily completing the flight review, the RAAus Examiner must make an entry in the pilot’s logbook to the effect that the pilot has satisfactorily completed the flight review. Additionally, acknowledgment of successful completion of the review is to be provided to RAAus either electronically or by using the appropriate RAAus BFR Reporting Form.

c. Notwithstanding Subparagraph 5 (a) (i), when a person holds a Pilot Certificate with two or more Aeroplane Groups, each subsequent flight review must be conducted in a different Group of aeroplane.

d. If a Pilot Certificate holder has within a period of two years immediately preceding the proposed flight, passed a RAAus flight check for the issue of an Endorsement other than a Radio or Human Factors Endorsement, or satisfactorily completed flight training for a specific aeroplane type, or the issue of a Rating, then the pilot is taken to have satisfactorily completed a flight review on the day the Endorsement or Rating was successfully completed. Evidence of logbook entries detailing successful completion of training must be provided to RAAus. RAAus

e. If a Pilot Certificate holder has within a period of two years immediately preceding the proposed flight, passed a flight test for the issue of a CASA Recreational Pilot Licence or higher, or the initial issue of a single engine CASA licence, rating or endorsement, then the pilot is taken to have satisfactorily completed a recreational aeroplane flight review on the date of the flight test. Evidence of logbook or Licence entries detailing successful completion of training must be provided to RAAus.

f. CASA issued endorsements accepted as meeting the requirements of Paragraph 5 (e) are:

(i) MPPC propeller (formally CSU),

(ii) Tail wheel undercarriage,

(iii) Retractable undercarriage,

(iv) Float alighting gear,

(v) Floating hull,

(vi) Controlled airspace

g. A flight review or flight instructor review conducted in a single engine aeroplane with a MTOW less than 1500 KG under Day VFR, is accepted as meeting the requirements of paragraph 5 (e). A copy of the flight review statement from the pilot’s logbook or Part 61 Licence is to be provided to RAAus. The statement should include the pilot’s name, type of flight conducted, name and signature of the examiner and the date of the flight review

Assuming you already hold a RAA Pilot Cert. The whole point is, that you must hold the RAA Cert to fly an RAA Airplane no matter what your GA qualifications are which I found out when I converted to RAA.

Correct! and you wont get a (annually renewable) Certificate unless you join and demonstrate proficiency in type - normally a BFR - SIMPLES!