Anyone Know Of Aircraft Components Suppliers in Australia?

jackc

I am specifically looking to replace the tailwheel assembly on my Aeropup,  seems there are sources overseas but not in AU that I can find.

Will be needing a few other bits and pieces as I go along.  I have a main wheels upsize and disc brake kit that came from the U.S? But can get tyres here.

Be a lot easier IF I can source requirements locally.

Jack,

The market in Australia is too small for manufacturing low demand stuff such as your tailwheel assembly. Anyone who sells them in Australia is an importer. Your option is to investigate the cheapest freight costs from the USA and buy from a US supplier. 

Another option is to buy used from an aircraft dismantler, or fellow owner. Try this mob http://aviationsalvage.com.au/contact.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jack - Make your own - this bloke did. It's not like the tail wheel carries a lot of weight or is a critical component.

A couple of pieces of T6061 alloy, cut and smoothed to the desired shape, bolted to an aluminium block centrepiece, a bushing and bolt, and a suitable proprietary light castor wheel, finishes it all off!

https://www.kitplanes.com/do-it-yourself-tailwheel/

• Winner 1

You will get much better service if you go to the States and at a much lesser price. I had to replace all control cables on my Corby and to buy them in Australia was about ten times as much as from Aircraft Spruce and also a lot quicker. What really pissed me off was that the same day as the new cables arrived CASA changed their minds and allowed inspection, rather than replacement. Anyone want a set of Corby control cables, only used once.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Jack - Make your own - this bloke did. It's not like the tail wheel carries a lot of weight or is a critical component.

A couple of pieces of T6061 alloy, cut and smoothed to the desired shape, bolted to an aluminium block centrepiece, a bushing and bolt, and a suitable proprietary light castor wheel, finishes it all off!

https://www.kitplanes.com/do-it-yourself-tailwheel/

What a great piece of work that is 🙂. Thanks!

Aircraftspruce has an Australian agency who I have used effectively. The prices end up being about the same as the parent group in the US because of freight costs. They are pretty prompt too.

Just now, tillmanr said:

Aircraftspruce has an Australian agency who I have used effectively. The prices end up being about the same as the parent group in the US because of freight costs. They are pretty prompt too.

Yes, checked out their WEB site but......what a mess, scrolled around but it’s hard to find what you want.  Be interesting to see how much inventory they have, but never got that far.

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

The weight is a problem for the smaller stuff. A lot of it is in the spring. Nev

One of my first investments will be a set of scales 🙂.  I will weigh the current setup and work from there, but the design suggested by onetrack has given me some ideas, just need to source a wheel.

Just now, Mikey_C said:

Bunnings Aerospace? :laugh:

Would not buy balsa from there to build a kids hand chuck glider 🙂 

Left my plastic  Bunnings barrow in the Sun and......

image.jpg

Next time you buy plastic !. PAINT IT.

It does wonders for those cheap plastic buckets, only need the bumend on the outside.

Even the cheap watering can stays in one piece after a quick spray with the old paint bomb.

BUT

What do l do with my Steering Wheel !. 1998, not That old ( is it ), the top half has crazy paving cracks but the other half is like New.

AND NO l can,t turn it over.

spacesailor

Here ya go, Spacey.

https://newliferepairs.com.au/services/steering-wheel/

If this option is too expensive, go to the wreckers and buy a secondhand wheel in good condition. Don't forget you'll need a steering wheel puller - available from all auto parts shops.

Edited by onetrack

Had a look .

BUT

My wheel is Mitsubishi Excèed, with wood type interior.

Probably plastic but looks good, in a Delica Van.

I would put a Pajero Exceed on, If l knew it would fit, with all those electric bits.

Many thanks, for the link

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed Thank you