Tiger moth down near amberley

Don't know if the new amalgamation of Google/News Corp is reporting it yet (they weren't yesterday) but we happened to see on channel 7 news that a Tiger moth came down near amberley. Looked quite damaged, apparently engine failure and the moth hit a post landing in a paddock. Pilot and passenger unharmed. 

We happened to be in boonah yesterday. We had hired a Tecnam to go for a pootle. Very surprised to see a whole bunch of aircraft there, maybe 30 or 40. Including maybe five Tiger moths! So I'm guessing this one was part of the fly in. Was painted in traditional airforce yellow.

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Informative 3

Glad their both ok, I was at the Boonah Fly-in as well but cant recall a yellow Tigermoth there, Looked through all my photos but didn't see one. There was a silver one with yellow stripes.

Microsoft Bing will allow you to find it in images searching for Amberley tigermoth crash and limit it to the last month ... appears to be VH-UZB

My bad - this is a crash from 3 years ago that came up on Bing for last week

Edited by kasper
error
  • Like 1

A quick search shows the aircraft as the same one that crashed near our airfield about five years ago and killed a young person doing the "joy flight"

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-150/

The investigation shows the aircraft as being destroyed, but it was obviously worthwhile to restore to some person

• Informative 1

3 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

A quick search shows the aircraft as the same one that crashed near our airfield about five years ago and killed a young person doing the "joy flight"

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-150/

The investigation shows the aircraft as being destroyed, but it was obviously worthwhile to restore to some person

Bing bad!  it was the picture of the 3yo crash that was posted last week as the Amberly one .. I'll delete my post as its very misleading

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, red750 said:

No. Goog Corp just don't want to pay for it.

I'm being wry. Google have done a deal with News Corp, hence I now call them Goog Corp. There was never anything to pay. You look something up, Google shows you the link to say a news corp story. You go to their site, and then you pay however it is News corp wanted you to pay. I think Google just figured it was easier to pay some protection money to us Aussie hicks than to try and argue the point.

In any case, since it doesn't look like any news corp affiliates reported the crash, it doesn't get a showing on Google. I predict for one web crawl cycle, which is normally a 30 day cycle. So it should appear on Google from anywhere between now and about 28 days from now.

We may have the recording of the news story, so I'll have a look tonight to see if I can see a rego.

Edited by danny_galaga

20 minutes ago, gibby said:

VH- SSK, recently acquired by the RAAF flying club Amberley, new engine, 10 hours old failed, no injuries

Thank you! Did hear from someone close to the source? What a pity. It looked quite damaged in the news footage.

8 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Thank you! Did hear from someone close to the source? What a pity. It looked quite damaged in the news footage.

I know the previous owner, doesn’t look like it will fly again, substantially damaged 

• 4 weeks later...