582 Oil Injection?

jackc

This coming week I am ordering a new complete factory crate Rotax 582 with gearbox and ancillaries.  I need to make my mind up on getting it with oil injection, or just running it on premix fuel? 

Its delivery time is January ‘22 so I have a wait ahead.

So, what says the brains trust?  I just feel oil injection is another thing to go wrong,  having experience with motorcycles for many years.

Oil injection is standard, costs a little to have it removed. I bought a new 582 in 2015 and removed the oil injection for the fail safe factor of premix. It is also a little problematic mounting the oil tank. Thrusters that started with a 503 and were retro fitted with 582 can be a little nose heavy so any weight that can be saved up front is a good thing.

• Informative 1

There's a case for both. Mixed fuel goes off quicker. You need to be careful  you don't accidently put straight fuel in and mixed fuel should be agitated/shaken to mix it properly before adding "some" to a tank.. Also when you  leave the plane if there's mixed fuel in the carburetters the petrol will evaporate and leave straight oil residue and  make the motor hard to start and possibly run lean next time you use it. A lean running pot will melt a hole in the piston crown.  You would have to make sure you drained the carby bowls completely. Nev

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

How many 582s have failed because of oil injection.  Just curious because this argument has gone on about oil injected outboards for years but most of the time the oil injection is not at fault.

You could also ask how many engines are SAVED because of oil injection. You need a positive fail safe check the oil is mixed and at the correct ratio too. Some favour premix  and have a good method.  Some would be better with the pump if they aren't as organised. Nev

• Like 1

Premix is fine. I have owned more premix outboards than injected but i prefer the injection because its cleaner and more economical  but 99% of outboard owners are convinced their engines are going to sieze if they don't remove the injection. Now i am getting into ultralights the same old arguments are present here as well.  I  guess it will be a mute point in the near future when our 2 smokes get banned.

In Aviation, you should have a plan for everything including the management of the fuel regime.  IF it’s premix then only mix the fuel just before you refuel, tag the fuel can IF any premix remains in it and try to use within 14 days or so. IF injected make sure oil tank has sufficient oil of correct type and check pump actuation cable adjustment regularly.  Injection pump failure is rare but have seen some motorcycles have plastic gear drive failure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

How many 582s have failed because of oil injection.  Just curious because this argument has gone on about oil injected outboards for years but most of the time the oil injection is not at fault.

I've had seizures with an oil injected outboard, beginning to turn my attention to the oil injection.

Can you provide more information on "most of the time the oil injection is not at fault?"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

I've had seizures with an oil injected outboard, beginning to turn my attention to the oil injection.

Can you provide more information on "most of the time the oil injection is not at fault?"

I am only going on what i have read from marine mechanics and some i have spoken to over the years. Nearly every failure i have heard of has been on 1 cylinder rarely all cylinders.  Mainly omc vro systems which had a horribly undeserved reputation.   They actually over oil when they fail although i believe some were known too deliver insufficient oil from new and were not tested for oil delivery as recommended by omc when installed.  Sudden oil injection failure damages all cylinders and crank. 1 cylinder failure which is the most common is a lean condition in that cylinder.  I am sure you will tell me i am wrong but their are many people a lot smarter than i with the same opinion.

42 minutes ago, jackc said:

In Aviation, you should have a plan for everything including the management of the fuel regime.  IF it’s premix then only mix the fuel just before you refuel, tag the fuel can IF any premix remains in it and try to use within 14 days or so. IF injected make sure oil tank has sufficient oil of correct type and check pump actuation cable adjustment regularly.  Injection pump failure is rare but have seen some motorcycles have plastic gear drive failure.  

Mercury had plastic drive gears which used to fail too. 

My brother hsd a 1950s car ( German ) with a two cylinder two stroke.AND oil injection.

The sedan was 600cc & the sports 900cc, he had the van as well.

They had cast iron crankcases with an alloy head, very like a Rotax.

spacesailor

• Like 1