Vertical card compass comparison

I need a new compass. Want to get a vertical card compass. How does the Beijing instrument stack up against the Precision compass? I know one is TSO’d and the other not, but more interested in how they compare in real life useage. Thanks

3 hours ago, shajen said:

I need a new compass. Want to get a vertical card compass. How does the Beijing instrument stack up against the Precision compass? I know one is TSO’d and the other not, but more interested in how they compare in real life useage. Thanks

You will find the vertical Card type much easier to read in any sort if turbulence. Downside is the cost to purchase and install.

I have always wanted a vertical card compass but cant justify the cost when thinking about the amount of time actually LOOKING at the compass.

My compass is located at the top of the winsdshield and very difficult to read in any sort of glare.

I use the vertical compass already in my Garmin GPS when displaying the HSI page. Works really well and easy to read and not influenced by magnetic effects. Another benefit is that it shows actual track made good, compensating for drift. I use it nearly all the time.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 04/10/2021 at 2:03 PM, shajen said:

Thanks Roscoe I actually think  I will get a Beijing instruments one. They are the best price  and don’t seem to have any inherent problems.

Make sure you buy a Southern Hemisphere version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, that’s the one. Paid bit less than that though from Yarrawonga. But I believe they are now hard to get (like everything else). They are easier to read than the liquid , standard ones.

My standard liquid filled compass is mounted on the bubble canopy frame cross bar in the centre in line of sight so is easy to read but when flying to a heading I tend to use the strip on top line of the Dynon as that is on the panel & is part of the instrument scan. I cross check occasionally and they always seem to agree though the turn lag is greater in the Liquid filled compass than the Dynon electronic one.

• Informative 1

I think the main purpose of the required magnetic compass is that is simple and fail safe. The liquid in it is there to dampen the movements. Without it the thing would never be still.. The over/undershooting is because the rotating card is not sitting flat but is pendulous tilting down to the nearer Pole and it's pivoting on a pin point  The tilt means the CofG  of the rotating card is to one side when you are in an east west (or reverse) direction and fore and aft when north south..

Converting from magnetic to  true is CDMVT.. Can Dead Men Vote Twice? Compass Deviation Magnetic Variation True.. Nev

I've got the Precision compass in my panel. It's very nice and wasn't expensive for a TSO'd instrument, but readings are biased and I can't seem to get enough adjustment to correct them  I'm sure the compass is fine and the bias is due to proximity to other stuff in the panel, so I suggest you play around with locations and check for bias before cutting holes.

• Like 1