New Engine

Geoff_H

7 minutes ago, Geoff_H said:

It's always exciting to see a new concept that someone has worked out. I designed a revolutionary hydraulic control valve once, had one machined up at about 1/3 the cost I was paying for CVs, installed it on a drilling rig and there was a squishing sound followed by being sprayed head to toe in warm hydraulic oil.

The applications shown for this engine aren't possible without some new technical inventions, and one person has already pointed out the performance figures indicate someone doesn't know basic engineering, and this is a rendering rather than a photo of something which has been built.

Nevertheless I hope they persevere to a prototype.

Not defending it but there is video at the end of the clip that shows something like this running.

I don't think that the wear at the max speed would be acceptable.  I just found it an interesting concept.

3 minutes ago, Geoff_H said:

Not defending it but there is video at the end of the clip that shows something like this running.

I don't think that the wear at the max speed would be acceptable.  I just found it an interesting concept.

Yes, sorry should have watched to the end; what I said about the performance figures stills stands but looks like they've got one to run.

• Agree 1

I think seals will be a problem.  The surface velocity looks like it will be high, this will contribute to wear.  Air cooling claim was suspicious, and we only saw the engine with apparently no load.  However the concept fascinated me.  I have an unusual curiosity, just ask the wife.😏

Exotic and revolutionary new engine designs tend to fail in about 4 areas generally - satisfactory heat transfer, emissions, fuel economy, and satisfactory, long-life, combustion and lubrication sealing arrangements.

I see little hard information as regards emissions or fuel economy - and the heat transfer and sealing problems will only arise after extensive testing of working prototypes. 

I see huge problems with internal distortion in the engine causing major alignment problems. The rotor speeds involved are astronomical - the pressure on the rotors, along with the massive combustion heat levels, will cause major problems.

Ralph Sarich thought he had a winner, too, making an engine along the same thinking as the vane-type hydraulic pump (which is where he got his "lightbulb" moment).

But despite the huge research and testing and engineering input of Sarichs team, the GM engineering division, and Fords engineering division, the Sarich Orbital engine just couldn't cut it - because of major sealing problems, major heat transfer problems, substantial emission problems, poor fuel economy - and complex mass-production manufacturing problems.

I wish these proponents of the Omega 1 engine well, but there's no free lunch when it comes to the physics of getting huge power levels from low mass engines - nearly everything that can be tried in IC engines has been tried, and the vast majority of promising new designs are always found wanting, when it comes to actually producing a production-level unit that meets all the promised claims.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I didn't know Ford got involved but GM and BHP certainly did. and perhaps the  Australian Gov't.  It eventually became Orbital Engine Technologies. I never thought it worth investing in for all the reasons in One tracks post.. You don't have to build an engine to KNOW some aspects of it are noted for having performance shortfalls. STEAM is another that keeps being trotted up every now and again  where the Latent heat of water remains an efficiency limiter. Nev  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, facthunter said:

I didn't know Ford got involved but GM and BHP certainly did. and perhaps the  Australian Gov't.  It eventually became Orbital Engine Technologies. I never thought it worth investing in for all the reasons in One tracks post.. You don't have to build an engine to KNOW some aspects of it are noted for having performance shortfalls. STEAM is another that keeps being trotted up every now and again  where the Latent heat of water remains an efficiency limiter. Nev  

Yes, it's when their claim bends the laws of physics that you can be reasonably certain the story isn't going to have a happy ending......although no one knows how the Egyptians built the Giza pyramid.

• Like 1

although no one knows how the Egyptians built the Giza pyramid.

It's obvious, isn't it? The Egyptians used an exotic IC engine design, of which the knowledge, plans and blueprints have long been lost. However, I'd like to advise I've discovered this hidden tomb with all the blueprints of how these engines were designed and built, and how the pyramids were constructed, using them. I just need some investors to help me get this information out of Egypt, without the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities acquiring it first. Any investors are guaranteed to make the same huge level of profits from this long-lost Egyptian knowledge, as the seed investors in Astro Aerospace will, investing in the Omega 1 engine product development ...... :cheezy grin:

For what it's worth, I never cease to be amazed at the capabilities and productivity of a few thousand highly dedicated and hard-working people, utilising simple devices built on basic physics principles - levers, counterbalance devices, water power, gravity, natural chemical reactions between common reactive chemicals in the soil. The Coral Castle was built by one man, and there are many claims of secret powers he used - but the bottom line was that crafty gent simply used the same building principles available to the Egyptians.

Edited by onetrack

38 minutes ago, onetrack said:

It's obvious, isn't it? The Egyptians used an exotic IC engine design, of which the knowledge, plans and blueprints have long been lost. However, I'd like to advise I've discovered this hidden tomb with all the blueprints of how these engines were designed and built, and how the pyramids were constructed, using them. I just need some investors to help me get this information out of Egypt, without the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities acquiring it first. Any investors are guaranteed to make the same huge level of profits from this long-lost Egyptian knowledge, as the seed investors in Astro Aerospace will, investing in the Omega 1 engine product development ...... :cheezy grin:

For what it's worth, I never cease to be amazed at the capabilities and productivity of a few thousand highly dedicated and hard-working people, utilising simple devices built on basic physics principles - levers, counterbalance devices, water power, gravity, natural chemical reactions between common reactive chemicals in the soil. The Coral Castle was built by one man, and there are many claims of secret powers he used - but the bottom line was that crafty gent simply used the same building principles available to the Egyptians.

Surely everyone knows that space aliens actually gave them antigravity stuff to build the pyramids.    😳 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The Coral Castle was built by one man, and there are many claims of secret powers he used - but the bottom line was that crafty gent simply used the same building principles available to the Egyptians.

It's worth a look at the Coral Castle Wikipedia site to see the tonnage of limestone he quarried and carved over his lifetime, and the accuracy ED Leedskalnin achieved.

• Like 1

There are large mullock dumps all around the central Victorian goldfields. They are comprised of rock that was broken underground, hand loaded and hand pushed to the shaft, hoisted and then hand pushed to tip on the dump. When I see them I think of all the labour involved, and how big things can be built by a small workforce in a few years.

• Like 1

The blurb on that engine is to coerce some investor funding from people who have no idea of engineering that goes into aircraft development.  Glossy brochures with generalised claims, nothing specific. Naturally there will be a development time line that will be unachievable.  First thing to get rolling will be new Mercedes/Lexus/BMW/some other expensive bucket, so the CEO of the Development Company can hit the road, and leave his $300 rusty Corolla at home 🙂  From here, it will all be down hill, with no blue sky in sight!! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Looks too complex, like all these weasly ideas they are more a curiosity by some who ‘think’ they can knock off the big players, amusing though using fancy computer graphics and painful music😂

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 2