Some quotes

Owi

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everything in the old days was good. The current machinery is so much safer, but we have lost a lot of commonsense and airlines don't want pilots who think. The system can't handle it. The bottom line is cost with the lowest price being the reason most buy a ticket with a certain carrier. Race to the bottom? Reduction of safety standards? Fair risk there is.. You wouldn't buy the cheapest pair of shoes, but what's your life worth. Nev

• Like 1

A very special pilot remembered

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-08/robin-miller-the-sugar-bird-lady/7010418

PS how does one start a new thread, I must be particularly dumb 'cause I can't see a "new thread" button anywhere on this site.

or the site is smart enough to block types like me

• Informative 1

PS how does one start a new thread,

1. Click on 'Hamburger' icon (Memu):

hamburger.jpg.png.97da901021e0aa514429382ec0f48676.png

2. Select Forums:

1386485224_RFForumsicon.jpg.cc3030c0424d89781fd832ff7670f2fe.jpg

3. Select forum:

2115529173_RFSelectForum.jpg.af336243554898bc1b176e73ee800aad.jpg

4. Start new thread:

840298917_RFPOostnewthread.jpg.6be0e5b09e92718929a41931096a4d23.jpg

• Helpful 2
  • Informative 1

The most beautiful dream that has haunted the heart of man since Icarus is today reality.

Louis Bleriot

There must be something lost in the translation of that. Possible since Louis was a frenchman and most translations lose something. Nev

This is old Bleriot's most famous quote:

1871049641_Bleriotquote.png.e1fb2e9953037f420991e040616909c2.png

• Like 1

Flying was an incredibly inspirational thing, in it's early days. So much was being learned just over 100 years ago. I still read and learn from the early events, crashes and concepts. Today it's completely taken for granted, by most. I try to make every trip anywhere an adventure, regardless of the insignificance of it. That doesn't mean I have to do something outlandish or risky or show off to achieve this. It's in the mind. The preparation, planning needed to make it more full of meaning and just plain value. I can get it walking in a crowd or on a train or bus. On a motorbike or car. How it reacts , How the last gear change went. Did I miss seeing that pushbike? The people around and how they drive . The smell of the bush after rain, or a recent bushfire.. Deciding to go for a stroll on a lonely beach, making the effort to do it and not watch the box. A walk through someone's hangar. A look at what some would call junk, appreciating it without having to put a money value on it. Nev

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

Yes what looks suitable from the air may turn out to be a disaster. If a vehicle goes across it or straw (feed) placed there regularly, Not a bad indication that it's suitable. In the outback I would use roads as there's no poles or trees and you are nearer help. Nev

[ATTACH=full]39979[/ATTACH]This is the Irish bog that Alcock and Brown landed on. It looked like a good field from the air but you can see the outcome. That was a great adventure.[ATTACH=full]39980[/ATTACH]

I visited that. Can't find the photo now, but I'm sure there was a memorial stone or something there.

Son, you're going to have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both.

Saw this some time ago Camel. . . looks like a popular one. . . but why it was posted on "Conservative Woman" blogsite I cannot really imagone. . . ( "What were YOU doing on there then Phil. . ? " - - - I was looking for feminazis to wind up as I was bored. . . . )

1123734289_PilotWannabee.jpg.a2ce4a2cddd9c18bf96d9f0dcd10cbd3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

By day, or on a cloudless night, a pilot may drink the wine of the gods, but it has an earthly taste; he's a god of the earth, like one of the Grecian deities who lives on worldly mountains and descended for intercourse with men. But at night, over a stratus layer, all sense of the planet may disappear. You know that down below, beneath that heavenly blanket is the earth, factual and hard. But it's an intellectual knowledge; it's a knowledge tucked away in the mind; not a feeling that penetrates the body. And if at times you renounce experience and mind's heavy logic, it seems that the world has rushed along on its orbit, leaving you alone flying above a forgotten cloud bank, somewhere in the solitude of interstellar space.

— Charles A. Lindbergh, 'The Spirit of St. Louis,' 1953.

I can empathize with that. Todays jets are well above most cloud. (Occasionally large lumps of Cu and some whispy Cirrus) but what Lindberg is talking of is expansive stratus, flat and appearing to go to infinity and allowing no view of the earth itself. Particulary so at night, under a moon creating the effect, moreso. Nev

By day, or on a cloudless night, a pilot may drink the wine of the gods, but it has an earthly taste; he's a god of the earth, like one of the Grecian deities who lives on worldly mountains and descended for intercourse with men. But at night, over a stratus layer, all sense of the planet may disappear. You know that down below, beneath that heavenly blanket is the earth, factual and hard. But it's an intellectual knowledge; it's a knowledge tucked away in the mind; not a feeling that penetrates the body. And if at times you renounce experience and mind's heavy logic, it seems that the world has rushed along on its orbit, leaving you alone flying above a forgotten cloud bank, somewhere in the solitude of interstellar space.

— Charles A. Lindbergh, 'The Spirit of St. Louis,' 1953.

While I echo his sentiment, I'd prefer to descend for intercourse with women.

There are different forms of intercourse . The gods came down to TALK and deal with men, you apparently sex starved person. though I don't know how you would be in Tasmania . Nev:cheezy grin:

Don't tell anyone Nev, but I did know there were different types of intercourse. Just couldn't let the line go by. I'd make a terrible fish.

Interesting comment about Tasmania - can you not be sex starved here? Have you visited and found it a roiling fleshpot of carnal satisfaction? babe.gif.538cdeac3b1a1b72d121d00509ec140e.gif