Some quotes

Owi

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be confused by the Polish aviators who featured heavily in the early stages of WW2

Capt. Isbe Fuckinoffsky

and

Group Commander Isbe Pissinoffsky

Both seen leaving poland in a hurry when the Germans arrived

The airplane is just a bunch of sticks and wires and cloth, a tool for learning about the sky and about what kind of person I am, when I fly.

An airplane stands for freedom, for joy, for the power to understand, and to demonstrate that understanding.

Those things aren't destructable.

— Richard Bach, 'Nothing by Chance,' 1963.

• 2 weeks later...

Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.

Richard Bach, 'Nothing by Chance,' 1963.

If you engine's valves aren't out in the open , you don't have an open exhaust and you can't lean the mixture manually and you don't fly an open cockpit, you aren't fully in touch with your flying environment. You hear the drumming of the fabric and the wind through the bracing wires.

As you slow up to land the noises subside and the wheels kiss the grass. and you smile slightly. ( Just raving on).. Nev

• Like 1

Too much is never enough, unless you are bungy jumping.

A parachute is not essential for skydiving, unless you want to do it a second time.

"Perfect speed is being there". Richard Bach, JLSeagull. Perfectly described that most inefficient but beautiful form of flying, the long chasing swoop of freefall relative work as it becomes instinctive. I think.

It is as though we have grown wings, which thanks to Providence, we have learnt to control.

— Louis Blériot, 'Atlantic Monoplanes of tomorrow.'

Flying was a very tangible freedom. In those days, it was beauty, adventure, discovery -- the epitome of breaking into new worlds.

— Anne Morrow Lindbergh, introduction to 'Hour of Gold, Hour of Lead,' 1929.

The helicopter is probably the most versatile instrument ever invented by man. It approaches closer than any other to fulfillment of mankind's ancient dreams of the flying horse and the magic carpet.

— Igor Ivanovitch Sikorsky, comment on 20th anniversary of the helicopter's first flight, 13 September 1959.

I am no expert in Helicopters but I understand that having the wheels higher than the rotors is bad.

When landing any kind of aircraft, I believe it's customary to have the wheels dangling below the other bits.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

America is the only country where a significant proportion of the population believes that professional wrestling is real but the moon landing was faked.

~ David Letterman...

Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could you ask of life? Aviation combined all the elements I loved. There was science in each curve of an airfoil, in each angle between strut and wire, in the gap of a spark plug or the color of the exhaust flame. There was freedom in the unlimited horizon, on the open fields where one landed. A pilot was surrounded by beauty of earth and sky. He brushed treetops with the birds, leapt valleys and rivers, explored the cloud canyons he had gazed at as a child. Adventure lay in each puff of wind.

I began to feel that I lived on a higher plane than the skeptics of the ground; one that was richer because of its very association with the element of danger they dreaded, because it was freer of the earth to which they were bound. In flying, I tasted a wine of the gods of which they could know nothing. Who valued life more highly, the aviators who spent it on the art they loved, or these misers who doled it out like pennies through their antlike days? I decided that if I could fly for ten years before I was killed in a crash, it would be a worthwhile trade for an ordinary life time.

— Charles A. Lindbergh, 'The Spirit of St. Louis.'

• Like 1

The only thing a man has invented, that billions of years of evolution, or countless gods ( which ever your way) hadnt perfected, is the axle.

Nunthn special, till you attatch a couple of rotor blades to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1