Murphy renegade???

pete8862

The Fisher stuff is very attractive and usually of wood and fabric construction. The ownership transferred from Michael Fisher in the late 90's I think. He went into some venture called the Waco 3 or something like that. The older trading name was Fisher Flying Corp. Don't bet your house on all of this. It's my best recollection. HE actually built the Fisher Horizon 2 that I owned which used steel tube in the fuselage construction . A rather unusual thing for the Marque. Nev

You can see that plane is better proportioned with the heavier Rotec Radial engine and doesn't have an access to the front seat problem as there isn't one. As a useless bit of info the DH82 had swept back upper wings to allow better access to the front seat than it's predecessor the Gypsy Moth which was all wooden construction. The DH82 A had a steel fuselage which was later reinforced to allow flick manouvers on some planes

The Murphy Renegade probably has a stronger frame than the Celebrity. Murphy make the Kits for Rebel and even the bigger Moose All metal planes.. Nev

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Still looking for a biplane? i am selling mine: Renegade with Rotec radial R2800 7 cylinder (Middenmeer EHMM, Netherlands, Europe) 

IMG_7529.thumb.jpeg.fa5ce7a300e937fadbd696fffd132602.jpegIMG_7525.thumb.jpeg.5dbb9f074674f54b6367fd49ebfd0cea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Peter Franks had one at Lethbridge. Originally built by Ted Hardcastle.. It had an "event" and Peter rebuilt it.  It had a Rotax 912 in it. Very attractive aircraft.  White with Red.  Nev

19 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

Torque

Okay - I assume this means a courser pitch prop can be used for improved high speed cruise????

2 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

sound ,

As it's torque is at low revolutions. 

Just like a Harley,  only better .

spacesailor

You jest! - All that extra trouble for a sound?????

Okay gents - now tell me what are the disadvantaged ????

Maintenance. 

IF , you can fly with two cylinders. Your Maintenance is minimal.

But . Electric is better.  Maintenance  is less than minimal. 

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Missed 3 words

Short crankshaft and the Big end is lightly loaded in cruise. Even  length intake pipes and easier to cool and supercharge  It's a completely different feel and SOUND..  Downside. A bit hard to oil scavenge. That has to be done right.. Nev

On 15/04/2024 at 12:37 AM, CharlyT said:

Still looking for a biplane? i am selling mine: Renegade with Rotec radial R2800 7 cylinder (Middenmeer EHMM, Netherlands, Europe) 

IMG_7529.thumb.jpeg.fa5ce7a300e937fadbd696fffd132602.jpegIMG_7525.thumb.jpeg.5dbb9f074674f54b6367fd49ebfd0cea.jpeg

Lekker ☺️

Edited by danny_galaga

15 hours ago, facthunter said:

Short crankshaft and the Big end is lightly loaded in cruise. Even  length intake pipes and easier to cool and supercharge  It's a completely different feel and SOUND..  Downside. A bit hard to oil scavenge. That has to be done right.. Nev

Thanks Nev - Some practical benefits then. They look very complicated ? Costly to manufacture ? & maintain ? Does their large frontal have negative impacts on airframe efficiency?

A GEE BEE goes fast enough. On larger planes the drag would be similar All cylinders are the same Bottom end is more complex so is ignition timing as the stroke is not the same in all cylinders.TBO is comparable with anything else. Reduction gear is sun and planetary Thats the best. Nev

sound is important.

same reason we all want a V8 ford... when the turbo 6 is a better car

we all miss the V10 era of formula 1 for the sound. or get excited at the startup of a Merlin

atmosphere (not the physical kind) is a huge reason of flying recreational.

especially for someone like me who flies once every 3 months for an hour.

its why I choose to pursue tail wheel - its a whole experience, more visceral 

if im taking off and landing at the same point. then I 100% want the most emotive experience in that time.

its what makes it so so satisfying and keeps me going with that feeling high though-out the day, buzzing from that time in the seat.

the feeling of the aircraft is as important as the scenery

• Like 2

The feel of the Plane, It's controllability, look and sound are all part of the aura. IF you're aim is to get to places and back ON TIME use a Jet and even they are delayed by weather sometimes.. Nev

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Thanks Nev - Some practical benefits then. They look very complicated ? Costly to manufacture ? & maintain ? Does their large frontal have negative impacts on airframe efficiency?

How fast is a Sea Fury?