RAAus a/c into Melbourne

bushpilot

That's a hard one Mate...any of the fields would require someone giving you a lift to public transport.

So starting from the West:

Point Cook is out

Riddells Creek is ok but would need to be driven to the station (not sure if there is a landing fee)

Sunbury is the same as Riddells but has a landing fee

Tullamarine...does have a small landing fee 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Essendon is out unless you have a PPL and for memory about $60 fee

Lilydale would have to get a lift to the station

Coldstream is the same as Lilydale

Moorabbin is out unless you have a PPL

Tyabb and Tooradin are the best bets but again would need a lift to the station

Others who know these places more intimately will be able to offer more accurate advice

Anyone know if there is a field at Daylesford? It's not in ERSA, but I thought there was..

I guess Ballarat would have a good train service to Melb. - but still need to get from airport to station.

Guest davidh10

"Penfield", just north of Sunbury is one possibility. Weather through the Kilmore Gap is the issue (in poor weather, often has cloud-on-ground), but if that is ok, you can squeeze in between the ground and the CTA steps. I don't have any first hand experience of the airfield, though have driven past just to look at it with a mind to flying in there sometime in the future. It is a private grass field (owned by a flying school) and has modest landing fee (see ERSA), plus hireable shelter for visiting aircraft (they look like open ended half cylinder of galvanised iron).

Landing by prior arrangement only. See contact details in ERSA.

10th March ERSA Page. 37° 30.810'S 144° 41.910'E (have a look on Google Earth at these co-ordinates).

From there you would have to get a taxi for 10km into Sunbury and there is a Budget Car Rental in Sunbury. From Sunbury, you can take the Calder Freeway to the Melbourne CBD (40km), allowing 3/4 of an hour off-peak or 1.3 hours during peak hours. Alternately there's also a train from Sunbury to Melbourne CBD.

There may be better options, but this a candidate.

Well Scrubcat, after calling us Mexicans, I'd suggest Sydney!

Re Ian's post, I think Tyabb and Tooradin are both out because of lack of public transport, unless you can get a bus from Tyabb to Frankston (then train to the City)

Someone else mentioned the peculiar issue with our weather, and it can be tricky finding Kilmore Gap, and finding it open, so a different way of doing it is to stay to the north west of the Great Dividing Range and have an easy flight into somewhere like Shepparton or Wangaratta, both big airfields, then hire a car for a couple of hours drive to Melbourne.

Actually if you are talking a bit further out I would seriously look at Lethbridge. You again would need someone to give you a lift into Geelong (the home of Ford) and either hire a car there or catch a quick train ride into the city.

If you go to Shepparton you could spend a day there as it is a great place, a great strip and club as well

If you can make it to Lethbridge for Saturday lunch you will have a great time with the club there...there are many users on the site from Lethbridge...sound feasible Turbo?

There is also Bacchus Marsh and if you can time it when Brian (brilair on the site) is at his hangar he may be able to give you a lift to the station from there as well.

PS...I think the Come And Get It Trophy is currently at Lethbridge and if it is you may go home with a Trophy in hand :thumb_up:

Guest davidh10

If you are coming as far out from Melbourne as Shepparton or Wangaratta, then there is also Yarrawonga. Hangarage or parking available. Always tea and coffee and a friendly chat available. Even accommodation can be organised. Just phone the AD Manager. Car hire can also be obtained. Good chance of a lift into town and V/Line Bus-train to / from Melbourne twice a day (about 3.5 hours). AD is about 4 minutes drive from the centre of town. You can check it out on Google Earth too.

Laze around Lake Mulwala if the mood takes you.

Tyabb has a station about 15 minutes walk from the airfield, change at Frankston for CBD

Spot on Geoff .... should also be able to get rental car at Frankston too.

Chris ... if you decide to fly into Tyabb, PM me and I can fit your jab into my hangar.

Cheers

Vev

Penfield also has motel type accommodation at reasonable rates.

Stay there and hire a car from Sunbury. Trains are about 35 mins from CBD and are frequent.

Flying school seems very active and a lift into Sunbury should be possible.

Phil.

Can any Mexican out there suggest the best airport for RAA a/c to fly into with reasonable public transport access to the Melbourne CBD? Or access to rental cars?Thanks

I think your best choice would be Coldstream, but you need to phone the RVAC there to get permission and a briefing on the circuit procedures. YCEM is closer to the Maroondah Highway and Lilydale railway station than is YLIL and there is a bus service stopping in the Coldstream township.

There is quite a bit of activity at YCEM because the MAF also operates there so you could probably cadge a lift if you were nice :-)

When were you thinking and how long for?

kaz

Thanks for all the tips folks! (No more 'Mexicans' talk - I promise..)Some good suggestions here - and one that came in by PM - Bacchus Marsh - only 50ks from Melbourne city, with train and rental cars: http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/bacchusmarsh/transport/

Off topic.... Isn't it sort of sad that the above web page has a section on how to travel to Bacchus Marsh by air, but doesn't even mention Bacchus Marsh's OWN airport! One day (when I eventually get my cert) I hope to be able to fly down to Melbourne to visit family or go to the odd meeting or even to the footy. I never even thought of Bacchus Marsh as a possibility. Wouldn't it be nice if towns recognised how good an asset their local airport could be for them.

Wouldn't it be nice if towns recognised how good an asset their local airport could be for them.

It would be, but it's only rarely that the fliers of today actually promote this, which is strange since it's all of us which would eventually benefit. Instead it's usually left to the local Councillors and they are a product of the community and rarely aviation aware. eg they come from other interests in the community. An example of tjhis wopuld be when you drive into a tiny town and half its footprint is taken up by a magnificent Bowls Club....because two of the Councillors are members of the Club.

I'm sure a lot of forum members here who have made one or two attempts to get an airstrip, save one, or improve the existing infrastructure will tell you how disinterested the local Councillors were - it's all about promotion with passion and relentless persistence.

This has been a good thread, and while it shows up the glaring bungle of not having metropolitan links for recreational aircraft, it also presents some opportunities to think about in terms of developing some of these satellite fields with perhaps arrangements for delivery of rental cars direct to the field to meet the relatively infrequent demand.

I think your best choice would be Coldstream, but you need to phone the RVAC there to get permission and a briefing on the circuit procedures. YCEM is closer to the Maroondah Highway and Lilydale railway station than is YLIL and there is a bus service stopping in the Coldstream township.There is quite a bit of activity at YCEM because the MAF also operates there so you could probably cadge a lift if you were nice :-)

When were you thinking and how long for?

kaz

Hi Kaz - Been travelling, hence the delayed reply.

I need to be in Melbourne for a conference next Sunday evening.. from Bathurst, NSW. So after looking at the charts, and transport options to the CBD, Bacchus Marsh, or even Ballarat, are looking good; but probably the former.

Now just waiting to see what the weather brings b4 locking in - and locking QANTAS out.. :-)

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Belated post - but Bacchus Marsh turned out to be the perfect parking station with access to Melbourne. Easy to get in to; no landing or standing costs; avgas; 40 min train ride into Melbourne city - Southern Cross. And a very friendly and helpful group of RAA fliers! Thanks Brian and Linda! (And dont forget to start a thread covering your current project!)