When the fan at the back Stops

c722352

Just had my first and hopefully last unplanned landing, no real problems fan stops training kicks in see a paddock, drop the Drifter into it. took at least 15 minutes to compose myself after. no problems, however upon inspection of the fuel system I find large flakes of a black rubber compound in the filters, you guessed it the interior of the fuel lines was breaking down. upon talking to a retailer of said fuel lines, seems they do this quite often. Just something to keep an eye on. I was lucky the Gods were smiling on me that day. could have been a lot nastier.

Yeh Ultralights thinking along the same lines with the Ethanol, could have got a batch of premium with that horrible stuff in it. but I have been strictly BP premium for the past few fills. will look into the brand name when I go out to change the fuel lines. its a bit of a bummer when you put down in a paddock a couple of hundred K's from home.

Welcome to the club c722352, you now belong to a small group of pilots that understand what all that training is really for.

I hope your pucker has relaxed a bit by now

Congratulations and well done on having a good outcome

Cheers

Bryon

• 1 month later...

Hi. Just read about your fuel lines breaking down. I'm sure you're already aware that fuel hose isn't all the same. However, there are several different types that suit different applications. Plenty of info on the web. Dayco are a good source of information. Being in the auto trade we see a lot of this sort of thing. Luckily they are ground bound.

Hope it doesn't bite you again.

Cheers FF

I know it's a month ago since this occurred but I only just read this thread. I am really happy to you came out of this OK.

This fuel line matter brings up an issue in my mind: what about the fuel lines which are, say, in the wings and difficult to get to for replacement. I would replace them periodically as part of preventive maintenance.

Then, there is the other issue of how often fuel lines would need to be replaced. Just for interest, c722352, how old would you say these fuel lines were when they started to fail?

Guest davidh10

I too have just noticed this thread. Glad you had a good outcome c722352. I was wondering if this breakdown occurred all of a sudden? ie. there were no black flakes in the fuel filter at the daily inspection.

...Then, there is the other issue of how often fuel lines would need to be replaced. ...

Probably in your maintenance handbook. For Airbourne XT-912 is it every 5 years.

Maybe we need to test the fuel for Ethanol not sure but wouldn't the PH tell us this?

The aircraft manual should specify permitted fuel and oil. As an example, the Rotax 912 is allowed up to 10% Ethanol, but there is no Ethanol permitted by the XT-912 Aircraft Manual. Rotax's statement covers the engine only, not the fuel system.

I test every new batch in the jerry cans to ensure there is no Ethanol.

Guest davidh10
david10,How do you test for ethanol?

WP.

I had a method with photos in my Blog , but Ian has not yet implemented Blogs since the change of site software, so the article is archived. Ian did post the text here, when someone else asked where it had gone, but unfortunately, the images are still archived, as they showed what the test results looked like both before and after as well as with and without Ethanol.

To test for ethanol: get a bottle (old glass baby bottle ideal) and put a measured amount of water in it (100ml ideal).

Add petrol (200-300ml).

Shake and let settle.

If "water" level is greater than at start it has ethanal in it as the ethanol combines with the water.

If your quantities are measured you can work out the approx percentage as well.

To test for ethanol: get a bottle (old glass baby bottle ideal) and put a measured amount of water in it (100ml ideal).Add petrol (200-300ml).

Shake and let settle.

If "water" level is greater than at start it has ethanal in it as the ethanol combines with the water.

If your quantities are measured you can work out the approx percentage as well.

If you have one of those plastic fuel drain testers with a screw driver in the end you might be surprised to find it has a calibration on the side for testing for ethanol. Even has the Ethanol percentage calibration.

Guest davidh10
Did not know that about the markings on the fuel tester...mine must be pre ethanol!

Some have the Ethanol markings and others don't.

I think you will find that adding only 2 to 3 times the fuel to water won't have the needed resolution, particularly in a wide container. I use 4 to 1 but it depends on the resolution you are after.

After checking the log book, the fuel lines were replaced 18 months ago, and there doesnt seem to be a brand name on the lines but it does have in big letters made in the USA stamped all over them. re the filter I have been using a plastic throw away filter, changed every 10 hours, which made it hard to detect any major problems, I now have a glass filter before the disposable, so I can detect problems, love overkill these days. Thanks for the all the support

Goodonya c722352! I hope it is your last, if not, you`ve still got a few to go to catch up to me!!

I`ve been using the plastic disposable filter for years, with no problems to date!

Never stop practising for engine failure, there`s usually very little or no warning at all that it`s going to happen !!!

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

C7223552,

Glad you are ok.

Keep the old hoses and try to find someone who can determin what happened.

Oh, and try to keep a good sample of the fuel too!

(Though I guess with the age of the thread, that may be a bit difficult.)

All in all, it is good you are not hurt - or worse.

NCIS (early episode)

Gibbs:

"Rule (unknown): Collect evidence."