Promoting Recreational Aviation

What do you do to promote recreational aviation, or light end GA?

The other day I went down the village to get my feathers trimmed by the barber. I pecked through the pile of magazines the barber had for customers to read while waiting for their turn in the chair. The pile contained a wide selection of car and motorcycle mags.

I wondered to myself, " It would be a great way to promote recreational aviation if I dropped off my RAA magazine, and other aviation mags to the barber when I had finished with them."

What do you think?

Old Man Emu

I dropped off a load at the library, but I don't think anyone ever borrowed them. It is funny that our area has a pretty high income but there is hardly any interest in aviation. they must all be out fishing. I would guess that there is a boat to every third house.

After I've done with my mags, I give them to a friend of mine who is a GA student pilot. He hasn't been able to fly for ages because of the crippling GA costs, so I've been working on him to come visit our school and go for a TIF in a Jabiru. The magazines are helping to convince him, however I'm on the verge of my Pax endorsement, so I might be taking him up for a local scenic flight myself soon! That will really light a fire under him! 074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

I get annoyed when I go to the doctor's and the majority of mags are old and female orientated. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Royal Visit by our new Queen. The Woman's Weekly is going overboard with its pre-event promotions. I wonder if the Queen can do something about lifting rationing. It's been ages since the war ended and all the Yanks went home.

OME

• Like 2

What do you do to promote recreational aviation, or light end GA?I wondered to myself, " It would be a great way to promote recreational aviation if I dropped off my RAA magazine, and other aviation mags to the barber when I had finished with them."

Hi OME My Daughter has the bakery in town here, a lot of the locals and travelers often spend a bit of time flicking through old mags. while drinking their coffee etc. I did just that, I dropped off three or four RAA mags and a couple of Pacific Flyer as well, my daughter said the coffee sales have been up a bit since then.

Cheers Davo.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Periodically I drop some off at my doctors waiting room. On the odd occasion that I need to see him, the mags have always been lifted. At my wife's physio, I drop off copies knowing that they will not be made available to other patients..........................until the physio has finished reading them.

Rationing has finished? Where do I cash in my coupons and can I fill in the bomb shelter? I was just about to send out food parcels, oh well, maybe there will be anothewr war later in the century. Must get out the model T and wash it.

I also take mine, along with my reems of other Aviation mags, to the doctors surgery and just like DeskPilots, the 20 or so mags I left last time are all gone. So there are plenty of interested readers. If only one person actually takes the next step and checks it out on line and goes for a TIF..we,ve suceeded !

Thats pretty much how I got into this. 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Back in 2003, the then AUF put out a special magazine called Flying Start (hope my memory is still working correctly). This super little, one off, mag covered all aspects of recreational flying and having read it through several times, not only was I hooked and my dream of flying revived, but I was hooked on gyro's of all things. How times change. Still love gyro's but have moved on.

The point is, this type of introduction should be repeated, with more meat than fat (leave out the ads), so that we can capture the imagination of would be pilots. There should also be some emphasis on the cost of obtaining a flying certificate because most people think it is way out of their financial limits.

Another thought has just struck me. Don't sell it, give it away with what-ever is the most bought model aircraft magazine. A captured audience, so to speak.

Guest davidh10
I don`t know that our mag will promote our passion much when they get to the * Pilot & Technical Notes * section.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifFrank.

Particularly when there's some reports where the "student has crashed the aircraft with an instructor on-board"!

That said, would-be pilots are interested in what happens when things go pear shaped. The other day we had a school boy hanging around (being a hangar rat), as he wants to have lessons some time but cannot yet afford them. I offered him a ride to Wangaratta and back, as I was flying there in company with another aircraft that was returning to Wang. It gave him a view of some territory he hadn't seen before and a chance to ask questions, like:-

• Could you actually glide clear of these trees if the engine stopped? Answer: Yes. Plenty of room. I'd go over there....

• If you had to crash into trees, what would you do? First time I've had that question, but having read JB's tutorials (now on this site) on the subject, I was able to answer without hesitation. I'm going to let readers reflect on this question themselves, and then seek out JB's take on it. Probably a good exercise, it you haven't ever considered it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest clamar floats

Great idea!

Regards

Clamar

What do you do to promote recreational aviation, or light end GA?The other day I went down the village to get my feathers trimmed by the barber. I pecked through the pile of magazines the barber had for customers to read while waiting for their turn in the chair. The pile contained a wide selection of car and motorcycle mags.

I wondered to myself, " It would be a great way to promote recreational aviation if I dropped off my RAA magazine, and other aviation mags to the barber when I had finished with them."

What do you think?

Old Man Emu

As some of you may remember a year ago I created a long term plan for this web site and said that year 2, starting next month was to "Get Out There" and promote this site as a central repository of helpful information for all pilots. So the next 12 months will see this site heavily promoted which in turn promotes recreational aviation. So I will ask everyone in a separate thread their thoughts on how we best do that

• Like 1

Is there a digital copy of 'Flying Start' in existence? If so, can we get it onto this site for everyone to download & distribute?

Could it be 'modernised' if necessary and perhaps it could be distributed - via us asking major players in aviation to place a link to it on their websites?

happy days,

Sounds Great! even talking to people about aviation is a start.

Amazing with such a positive community at Temora, that more locals are not involved with the aviation side of things! Hoping we can change this in the future!080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I was just reading the July edition of the EAA magazine which I was emailed the link to today. I was reading Tom Poberezny's column and it hit home what I have been trying to express over the last few months when we have been discussing how to get folk in to Recreational Aviation. Tom was giving an insight into why the EAA was founded in the first place some 70 years ago.

It went like this:

"Each year thousands of people join the organization, unaware of how EAA evolved over the past seven decades. The original purpose was to bring together people who had an interest in building an airplane, primarily for economic reasons. They couldn’t afford to buy one, so they converted their time and skills into building an airplane that created enjoyment while fulfilling a dream."

I am very time poor with limited funds trying to raise a young family but having the time of my life building my family a plane. I dont have several hundreds of dollars to spend each weekend to go flying but I can spend some quality aviation time with my family in the garage learning and teaching them how to get in to recreational aviation. How times seemed to have changed...for the improvement of recreational aviation?...im not convinced...

Scotty 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Go Scotty, thats great that you are infecting your family with aviation at a young age!

Our's are 4 & 7, wife also has her PPL, we are working on infecting our kids whilst not shoving it to far down that they may spit it out!

We tend to leave it for a bit until they have asked a few times, before they can come for a fly, seems to be working !

Would love to know other's thought's on the subject!016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

l drop of all my mags to my kids school they go to the library and use them in the art room they will be the next generation of budding pilots.

Funny how the kids soak it in, probably without realising. My daughter was happy to fly with me once, but really couldn't care one way or the other. She's living in England these days, but recently was on holidays in Austria and took a dual flight on a paraglider and got really excited by it. I'm looking forward to her coming back to Oz - maybe we can learn together... 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif