Ultralight crash into lake Jindabyne

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very sad thing to happen.

As a new pilot it puts the wind up me to hear that this can happen to someone who had much more time in the seat than myself, I will be concerntrating much harder next time I fly.

My thoughts are with the family.

Pete

Guest Maj Millard

Edited by Mod - reply to a deleted post.

I've really enjoyed all my interchanges with Heon on this forum over some years now, and always found his imput to be knowledgable and constructive. I don't know who the other person was yet.

I was pretty bummed out about the whole thing last night, so I grabbed daughter today and we did some quality flying together ( Townsville-Abergowrie-Ingham-Townsville). She's had a good day, I've kept the interest going for her, and it's helped me a bit also as I love to fly with my only daughter.

These accidents, when they involve two experienced pilots and a sound aircraft, are the hardest to understand really. I shall miss Heon and his forum input, and my deepest sympathies go to both families..........................Maj...

We at Qld Recreational Aviation Assocn at Warwick Qld are deeply shocked to lose our friend and aviation colleague Heon (Peter Frith). Peter was a driving force in our organization and a great person on our airfield. As a good and careful pilot we wonder what might have gone wrong.

Ross, I felt awfull last night and couldn`t put my finger on why! Possibly it was from this experience!!!

Good to know that you havn`t allowed this accident to stop you from taking your daughter flying and enjoying the moment!!!

I instructed all my students to never allow someone elses accident to influence them negativly! Learn from it and and apply the lesons learnt!!!

I know it`s easier said than done!!!

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

Phil, Your association is not alone in it's loss at this time, there are many on this forum who share it with you ...No doubt Peter was doing everything to the best of his abilities, and working to provide us with an exciting recreational aircraft. It is indeed a sad loss..............................................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, I'd already made the commitment to fly to abergowrie today to fit new carb mount rubbers to a friends Savannah. Although the news last night didn't make me feel like flying today, life does go on unfortunatly.

The staff at Sport Pilot would like to express our deepest sympathies.

The next edition of Sport Pilot has gone to print, containing the Petrel's advert, and a feature on lake flying. The timing is terrible, but we were unfortunately unable to make any changes at this point in the printing process.

• Like 1

GwF&B, I think that feature would be a fitting memorial for both pilots, even if not explicit. I know Peter was passionate about aviation and particularly water borne aircraft, and I understand the other gent was very much involved too.

Guest Maj Millard

GwF&B....Your thoughts and sympathy is much appreciated by the forum members I'm sure. There's not much you can do if the article has gone to print, you could not have forseen this happening, and I'm sure readers will understand your good intentions at this sad time...................................................................Cheers Maj...

I have met Peter on a few occasions, I was in the circuit with him at Boonah a few months back.I was number 2 to him.He is a very safe Pilot, he asked me if I had him sighted which I did.We where Both looking and for the the big picture.Both of us a very cautious when flying.That is why this has hit me a bit hard ATM.

This hurts so much in such a small community, you feel sick in the pit of your stomach.

Though I only knew him as Heon from our forum I did see him at NATFLY passionately talking about the Petrel.

Sincere condolences to all the families involved.

H

Guest GraemeM
Frank, I'd already made the commitment to fly to abergowrie today to fit new carb mount rubbers to a friends Savannah. Although the news last night didn't make me feel like flying today, life does go on unfortunatly.

So Des is still flying?

Graeme.

Guest Maj Millard

GraemeM, Yes Des has done a lot of regular flying since he bought the Savvy VG, as I expected he would. I flew with him recently down to the Shute harbour Airshow in the Savvy, and we both had a great time. It was his idea in the first place to buy a Savvy which surprised me at the time, but he seems to enjoy it a lot now.................................................................Cheers Maj...(Ross)

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, I just did a quick whip through the posts and I see a couple have been moded by admin. I'm sure this is in the interest of sensitivity in this case more than anything else..............................................Maj...

I agree with you

FP

GwF&B....Your thoughts and sympathy is much appreciated by the forum members I'm sure. There's not much you can do if the article has gone to print, you could not have forseen this happening, and I'm sure readers will understand your good intentions at this sad time...................................................................Cheers Maj...

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, i just stumbled upon this thread, Heon tried to help me with so many troubles i was having with my 914.

Just a thought, IF his plane had the 914, the DA wouldnt really have been an issue, the turbo removes the DA thing, they just keep delivering the hp regardless of DA,,,, within reason..

fly with blue skys fellas.........

Hi Bones, the DA would still effect the aerodynamics regardless of the engine efficiency.cheers

Yes i agree it would, however 3000 odd' is not that high, like i mean for the aerodynamics to handle, how else do you get to 5000' for eg. IF the wings ect were loosing lift.

i dont know enough about it to agrue one way or the other, just my passing thoughts, but it does bring things into reality when a couple of highly experenced guys can come to grief, and i think back to some of the down right stupid things i got away with........when ya numbers are up.......

Im not saying the DA was a factor in the accident. DA plays a huge role in the total lift produced by any wing. Its part of the lift formula and needs to be accounted for. All performance data is related to a standard atmosphere with corrections for DA changes with increased elevation and temperature difference from the ISA of 15 deg's at sea level.

To put it simply, the wings DO begin to loose lift with every foot of altitude.

cheers

Guest Maj Millard

I don't believe from past posts that Heon had a 914 in that Petrel, I believe it had the 100hp 912 in it. Density altitude has an effect on three important things. Engine power (non-turboed), thrust from the propeller, and lift capability of the wings. These three factors can easily combine to make high DA operations dangerous...............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif