Letters to the Editor

I got this my copy of this months magazine last night. Idly flicking through it this morning, I noticed that most of the 'letters to the editor' had familiar names (including mine, which was a surprise since I didn't recall sending a letter to an editor).

Do they count as 'letters to the editor' when they're taken from a forum?

It's dishonest to do that Darky, different to just commenting that person XXX said XXX, because it implies that the people concerned have actively contacted the publication to have their comments published.

You and David should hit them with $10,000 appearance fees and see how they feel

Guest davidh10

The only way it could be done without breaching copyright is for you to indicate in the post that it was ok, or if it was a Recreational Flying Forum, if Ian gave permission (since he owns copyright to all posts that don't specify to the contrary). If it was another forum, see the copyright conditions on that forum as to whether you still own it or gave it away to the forum owner.

Even if it was a post on this site, about the content of the magazine, there's a difference between the editor reading and taking notice of the feedback to that of republishing your post without permission.

I haven't seen the mag yet, but saying they're "letters to editor" is probably a bit of a stretch. I have no problem with them (re)publishing my comments from this or any other public forum though as they are freely available for several billion other people to read.

Having said that, do our comments here have a copyright status?

The editor contacted me and asked if he could use some of the posts and I said yes...when he did I also posted that some of your comments may be in the next edition of the mag:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/magazine.27432/page-8#post-163603

The thing that I don't like is that while yes he did ask and yes I did say ok and yes I did let you know...he DID NOT give credit to the source i.e. this site, and we do need to promote this site, this valuable resource to EVERY recreational pilot out there...to me I take what the editor has done as a slap on the face especially as I was donating a Recreational Flying GPS with both OziExplorer PC and CE versions to the Letters To The Editor Competition AND paying for a 1/3 page advert in the mag

It was in there, but it didn't MAKE the magazine. There was other good stuff in it. Nev

Yes, very clever Nev. 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

Did my comments make the magazine? Haven't got it yet!

Yep, they are in there Jake.

If that is the case, I would encourage everyone to write to the editor to express their disappointment. Perhaps it may encourage an apology and correct future issues.

I don't buy or read the mag (not being RAA) but I am not sure that "Letters to the editor" is actually the correct name for forum discussions. One of the bike mags I used to read has a forum, and it does have a page of thoughts from the forum, it is titled as such, and each thought is also attributed to the author (by username).

The thing that I don't like is that while yes he did ask and yes I did say ok and yes I did let you know...he DID NOT give credit to the source i.e. this site, and we do need to promote this site, this valuable resource to EVERY recreational pilot out there...to me I take what the editor has done as a slap on the face especially as I was donating a Recreational Flying GPS with both OziExplorer PC and CE versions to the Letters To The Editor Competition AND paying for a 1/3 page advert in the mag

And with that much support given to the magazine, you certainly deserved the credit to be given to "Recreational Flying".....

Guest davidh10
Not in the mood for fine print at the moment win, hence I asked the question in the vain hope that someone else would have a look :big_grin:

See Post #4

Based on Ian's statement in Post #9 that the editor asked Ian's permission and received (license granted) it. The copyright requirements were satisfied.

Guest davidh10
...The thing that I don't like is that while yes he did ask and yes I did say ok and yes I did let you know...he DID NOT give credit to the source...

Well actually he did. He quoted the forum names of the posts. What he ommitted was the name of the publication from which he obtained them. Did you make it a condition of the license granted, that the Recreational Flying web site be given attribution? If not, the editor was at liberty to omit any credit to Recreational Flying Forums. While that may be the legal situation, it still does the editor no credit from a moral perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

But technically, these were not letters to the editor - they were posts on a private forum.

It shows that RAAus is worried about their image for some reason and is trying to justify things by answering questions the were never asked of them. The general public does not know this and Gen Y thinks it's cool to have space invader names.

The editor needs to rethink how he / she collects information to publish as I believe that Ian acted in good faith when giving permission.

Has anyone had their phone hacked? What's Rupert Mudochs number?

• Like 1

Anyone consider that "de identified" referred to the forum members, rather than the forum? Certainly how I read it, eg D.I. for our very own David Isaac. Never mind let's not let something obvious get in the way of a good bitch session, that isn't the way recreationalflying way at all

Well actually he did. He quoted the forum names of the posts. What he ommitted was the name of the publication from which he obtained them. Did you make it a condition of the license granted, that the Recreational Flying web site be given attribution? If not, the editor was at liberty to omit any credit to Recreational Flying Forums. While that may be the legal situation, it still does the editor no credit from a moral perspective.

Agree with you. An editor must know that the correct source publication should be acknowledged. Barring ignorance, the omission of the source name could only be intentional. Most unfortunate, but nothing that a mea culpa in the next edition won't resolve.

happy days,

I like the fact that forum posts are being reprinted (except don't like that the site wasn't given credit). It means that we're not just whinging to ourselves but rather we are giving feedback which is being taken onboard by our board (too many boards...).

Love the new magazine layout as well. Just wish mine wasn't soaking wet :(