Have you voted in the RAAus Elections yet?

Have you voted in the RAAus Elections yet?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted in the RAAus Elections yet?

• Yes!
    • No...but I'm just off to do it now!
    • No...I don't think it's worth it.
    • No...because I haven't got my magazine yet. Grrrr!
    • I'm not an RAAus member.

It's not in the magazine, it's behind the address page. You may have thrown it out.

Yep, just as well I was forwarned on the forums here as it was quite 'adhered' to the cover sheet.

I've voted by the way.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lorraine MacGillivrary Victoria Board candidate. I have posted my intro on Just Landed. I clearly need to keep touch with this site. It is great for hearing what concerns people have.

Voting is important if you want to have input into who is your voice and making sure you influence the way your governing body is run. I am passionate about my flying and the organization that impact on my flying life. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. If I am elected in Victoria I am available anytime. Any concerned Victorian voters can phone me if you like 0419307768.

Cheers all and happy voting, don't forget if you don't want to vote or can't be bothered, it is your governing body.

Just 20 days to go and only 21 definite votes and 9 maybes out of perhaps 4,500...............................

May be a good idea to zip down to the local flying club with a photocopy of the candidates for your area, or better still an A4 sheet with "Meet the Candidates on www.recreationalflying.com, Voting closes 4:00 pm EST Friday 12 August, mail early! etc.

• Like 1

Pud.Gavin T could have waved his hat at you during the Bindoon CASA presentation but considering there were over a hundred attendees, perhaps it's not strange that you missed him. Anyway, come back up any time as it would be a rare weekend that he isn't 'in harness' at Bindoon. I share your thoughts regarding the novelty of actually getting to cast a vote for choice of Board representation in WA. Second time in ten years if I remember correctly. How to handle this pressure??? Cheers

No position uncontested across the entire country, what a great event.

• Like 1

I'm repeating here a comment I dropped into another related thread ( I should point out that I am not personally promoting any particular candidate):

I have a simple view on candidates: It comes down to their preparednees to listen to the membership base; if they dont want to listen and comment on what they hear, then we have a very limited insight to their true position on a range of issue - and they shouldn't be asking for support in their aspirations to be a member representative; this is what a Board member is meant to be.

Given the current status of communications mechanisms available to the RAAus member community - the only real forum for listening to the opinions of the greater membership is this Recreational Flying Forum. Thus it follows, by my judgment, that the candidates deserved of our support are those that are regular participants in this Forum. So look at their time on this Forum and their posted messages count as a good starting point. Then read their views and opinions on the issues that matter to you - and make your decision.

• Like 2

About 13 days safe mail time to go and still just 26 definite and 12 maybes. Let's multiply that by 3 for people not on this forum.

The message to CASA is nobody is interested so let's dump RAA and bring them all under the Restricted PL category.

Got my magazine today (husband is still waiting for his ...) and we have to VOTE! All the talk around has been that we didn't have anyone standing, so it was quite a surprise to find ballot papers. My husband knows Myles from years ago when they both worked at the same mine, I know him from his annual visits to the Barcaldine Club, but have heard little of him in the last 10 years. John I know from the forum, and both sitting members. But Kelvin Hutchinson, I know nothing. Knowing of people is one thing, but really knowing them and what contribution they would make (or made) is quite another. Not much time to find out either. I looked on the RAAus site and found nothing about the election - a bit of forewarning, rather than waiting for the magazine, would have been preferable. I am thinking if the magazine takes weeks to get here, how long does a ballot envelope take to reach Canberra? AustPost says 4 working days so I am thinking 6 days at least to get there safely.

Sue

• Like 1

About 10 safe mail days to go to the deadline for letters to be received by RAA 4 pm EST Friday August 12

Just 32 voted, 24 maybe (going to, haven't received magazine) and two poor lost souls who don't think it's worth it.

Make this 56 multiply by 3 as a rough estimate of what might have been mailed by non Recflying members and divide by 5 States -

That's just 34 votes per State - probably not enough to change the status quo.

If you are concerned about the secrecy and financial slide and your magazine is sitting there in the office, and you usually remember when it's too late to post, this time it might pay to get a vote to the post office.

How many flying clubs don't have signs up?

Guest Andys@coffs

As previously promised, my votes is the mail this morning.

Just ourt of interest I dont think you can change your vote on these type of surveys and as such if previously you had answered No, doesnt mean that the right answer now isnt yes....

That said, I dont dissagree that we shouldnt encourage as many as possible to vote.

Andy

Guest davidh10

I haven't voted in this survey and my vote in the election will be posted by the end of the week. I've been sitting on it, and waiting and watching. That strategy seems to have paid dividends, as I have changed my original thinking of voting order based on information that has become available in these forums since the receipt of ballot papers.

My vote went in the mail this morning, numbered 1 to 5 to be sure to be sure.David

I voted 1 to 4 because I didn't want to vote for one of the candidates. As I understand it, that would mean my vote would never be able to be given to the final candidate...although it's probably academic by then.

Have I understood the process correctly? If for example you only numbered 2 candidates, it would mean that if your 2 choices were knocked out early in the count your vote could go no further and it would be discarded. Correct?

Have I understood the process correctly? If for example you only numbered 2 candidates, it would mean that if your 2 choices were knocked out early in the count your vote could go no further and it would be discarded. Correct?

Correct and in this case you have no impact on the election outcome between the remaining candidates even if you still prefer one of those remaining candidates over the others. (or in the case of realtime politics - detest one candidate more than all the rest)

Voting for 4 out of 5 is still ok because the number 5 vote in this case is never distributed.

Cheers

Col

"Its easy... see this bloke... he's a good bloke... you like this bloke... you give him 5 votes. This other bloke... he that bad bloke that causing all the trouble 'round these parts... you give him 1 vote..."

This was Angelo Bertoni's great speech to his outback constituents in NW Qld in the 1970's on the election trail... as reported by a family member...

If the voting system is so simple... why do so many votes get wasted.

Just like when you've set the tractor computer to 200 acres in a 198 acre paddock?

Such trivial boundaries mean nothing to an artiste'.... Have you seen Pow's hay-o-glyphs Tubz? They looked great from the air.:thumb_up:

(Ooops. Idle chat..025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif)

To have a truly heartwarming ballot you need to think from the back to the front. Give the highest vote to the person you hate the most and work your way forward till you get to the one you hate least and you give the the lowest. Think of it as sticking pins into a doll - very enjoyable. Of course this doesn't apply in the case of all those fine-as-kind folks who have stumped up for the RAA election.

Col