Who's this professor Avius ?

motzartmerv

Who is this professor Avius who writes articles for the sport pilot mag?

Just read his article, has a nack for stating the bleeding obvious doesn't he. During my training much time was spent on circuits and touch and gos and I very much enjoyed it. I think it gave me a lot of confidents in controlling the aircraft on the ground as well as understanding the effect of increased and decreased thrust. Spending my time backtracking continually during my paid hour would have seen me looking for another instructor particularly when ground lessons were free. When your flying there is only a certain amount of info you can take in [ for me anyway] and I'm sure instructors take that into account for each student. If training was carried out following his logic paid flight hours would escalate considerably, hence increasing cost and in my opinion with no learning benefit.

Who is this professor Avius who writes articles for the sport pilot mag?

Is this the point where we all stand up one by one and claim... "I'm Sparticus, oops, I mean Avius!!!

But seriously for a moment, I have trained under more than one instructor/CFI during my limited flying time, and have found that there are a lot of different styles out there, and a lot of different circuit techniques being taught. It can be a little confusing at times, but learning more than one way to "skin the cat" can only add to the students knowledge base, (at least in my limited opinion). Touch and go/full stop and backtrack, each would have their benefits, and cost alone should not be a reason to avoid experience, (and no, I'm not a millionare). Other comments regarding the Prof's "stating of the obvious" should also, (IMHO) be taken with regard to the magazine being aimed at future pilots as well as existing ones. What might seem obvious to most of us might all be new to the person who is reading the mag for the first time.

OK, I'll go back under my stone now, thank you for listening, Redair.

And no.... I'm not Avius.

Redair

I think the spanish inquisition used the rule that an early declaration of inocence meant that the person was surley guilty

Are you sure you are not ......................................................................... Dr Avius ?

JM

Its the second time ive had to answer questions from students because our training methods aren't the same as he publishes.A little annoying.

Discussion of different methods can only be a good thing surely :big_grin:

• Like 3

I believe that full stop landings etc which Avius recommends could be useful if you were operating from a strip where there were very few aircraft movements, however not so good at a busy training airfield with four or five aircraft all doing circuits. Clearing the runway, then having to re-join, would be more stressful and time wasting than doing touch and go's.

Alan.

• Like 1