Old Bar Ferris Wheel Incident

Guest Maj Millard

This is a great example of taking a bad situation and turning it into a great situation. No doubt when this plane flys again it should recieve more worldwide press coverage, to highlight just how these planes can be bought back, and just how safe the whole sport can be during an unfortunate incident like this. Milk it for all you can Garry. It'll certainly highlight our sport, and our aircraft, and our building capabilities. As the journos' say " even bad press is good coverage".........................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garry says the S200 7634 will be ready to fly in about 3 weeks & that the fuselage from the steel frame across the cockpit area to the rear was pretty much undamaged.

Hey Kevin.

I was going to send you some Sierra rebuild pictures but there already here.

• 2 weeks later...

Sierra 7634 has a new engine and new wings, is mostly re-skinned and is currently in the paint shop. It should be flying in a week. The original Jab 2200 engine which had a rather sudden stop is being completely stripped and rebuilt.

Sierra 7634 has a new engine and new wings, is mostly re-skinned and is currently in the paint shop. It should be flying in a week. The original Jab 2200 engine which had a rather sudden stop is being completely stripped and rebuilt.

That's pretty impressive given the amount of damage. Obviously it was easy for Garry and Co to do a rebuild with all the parts and equipment right there, but I'd be interested to know the economics of doing this. I wonder how much cheaper it was to rebuild this aircraft than to start from scratch?

Just guessing here but it may have been how quick Gary could get it back into the air ( it is used for training) rather than cost considerations.Alan.

I thought that too. But if it was faster to rebuild then labour was probably less than a from-scratch build.

Anyway, I was just curious as it may be another factor in the decision of which aircraft to build some time (years keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif) in the future. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I thought that too. But if it was faster to rebuild then labour was probably less than a from-scratch build.Anyway, I was just curious as it may be another factor in the decision of which aircraft to build some time (years keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif) in the future. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Perhaps we could get Paul to prang another one for you to re-build quick and cheap:bash: 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

Sorry guys, just can't help myself.

Alan.

Powerin,

The basic 6 cyl kit is $64,350 & then you need to buy tools, fibreglass resins & other minor bits, get the A/C painted etc so probably add another $8-10,000. The basic flyaway price is $96,800 so the labour content to build one from scratch is around $20-25,000. So unless there is very little recoverable it will usually be more economical to re-build than start from scratch. I have another $9,500 worth of options in my kit but the maths is still the same.

Powerin,The basic 6 cyl kit is $64,350 & then you need to buy tools, fibreglass resins & other minor bits, get the A/C painted etc so probably add another $8-10,000. The basic flyaway price is $96,800 so the labour content to build one from scratch is around $20-25,000. So unless there is very little recoverable it will usually be more economical to re-build than start from scratch. I have another $9,500 worth of options in my kit but the maths is still the same.

Thanks kgw...interesting to know.

The Cheetah Sierra 24-7634 ( The Phoenix ) left the ground late on Thursday for a hop, and flew on Friday. The aircraft only had a very slight right turn, the motor ran rich, and found today the hose clamp holding the scat hose on the the air box to our fiberglass crobra head, had deformed the fiberglass, that caused the air to turbulate. Should be back for the flying school in a few days. I would like to thank all the helpers that came in to help rebuild the aircraft, it has been a big effort.

• Like 4

The Cheetah Sierra 24-7634 ( The Phoenix ) left the ground late on Thursday for a hop, and flew on Friday. The aircraft only had a very slight right turn, the motor ran rich, and found today the hose clamp holding the scat hose on the the air box to our fiberglass crobra head, had deformed the fiberglass, that caused the air to turbulate. Should be back for the flying school in a few days. I would like to thank all the helpers that came in to help rebuild the aircraft, it has been a big effort.

Good onya Gary and thanks for keeping us all up to date, it's nice to see you have keen helpers. Kevin is at the moment demonstrating his Sierra to a prospective kit builder down at Gawler, keep your fingers crossed.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.

Alan Marriette.

This has been a really great thread (although there is still more to come).

Thanks Paul for joining in and letting every one else know from first hand experience...a lot of users here I am sure have gained a lot from it.

All you guys that have posted, thanks to you as well...you make this valuable resource and community something incredible.

Guest Maj Millard

Morgan Seirra - 1, ferris wheel -0. Well done Morgan Aeroworks for getting this machine back in the air, it has indeed been an interesting adventure...........................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Report from ATSB on this one is due out at any time now. Could make a very interesting read i'd imagine with the number of rocks they turn over in their investigations.

Will it be be the first time for the ATSB investigators preparing a full report on an RA-Aus accident?

From my understanding they have the jurisdiction to investigate any and all aircraft accidents however they do not have to investigate all aircraft accidents. They've simply chosen in the past not to investigate. I'd say this one was elevated a bit simply due to the accident involving members of the public. With the level of detail they go to in their investigations and the fact they're the Federal body (not just state coroners courts) it should draw a good picture of the state of the Recreational industry at the moment.

From my understanding they have the jurisdiction to investigate any and all aircraft accidents however they do not have to investigate all aircraft accidents. They've simply chosen in the past not to investigate. I'd say this one was elevated a bit simply due to the accident involving members of the public. With the level of detail they go to in their investigations and the fact they're the Federal body (not just state coroners courts) it should draw a good picture of the state of the Recreational industry at the moment.

The picture would only be in relation to that location, and linked personnel Volksy, it wouldn't provide any indication of how you and I might be behaving. There are a few prelim reports up, and they are usually brief. The final report is the one IMO