Over-confident student crashes

Admin

Confessions of a hoon pilot: When I was doing my dual navigation training, the instructor took us down to "dot" feet over the Marakai plains east of Darwin where he chased buffalos in the PA-28. Being quite inexperienced, I was very impressed with his courage and skill. So, before the ink was dry on my UPPL, where did I head off to (solo) and what did I do when I got there? ... you guessed it! That was 42 years and 1500 hours ago and I shudder every time I think of it. I'd like to think I've learnt a lot since then. I've been very lucky, I got to learn a lot through other people's misfortunes. As long as we fly we never stop learning.

• Like 3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto here, first one was just annoying, being forced into choosing an answer to something I don't think I would ever do. The second I came up with Macho 18, Worry 19, Self confidence 19. Coincidence? or an australian aviator theme?? or are we all trained to think the same way?Phil

Interesting. Hadn't read this post for a while, and did the test without looking at other's scores. Same result - Macho 18, Worry 19, Self confidence 19. Looks like the typical pilot is, well, ... typical.

Oh, and that first test just assumed that all pilots are idiots. What a waste of time that was.

rgmwa

This afternoon I watched a VFR rated fixed wing pilot land then later leave again in absolute minimum VMC even after offering him a lift or lodgings for the night. We had earlier abandoned even the thought of circuit training or any flying and spoke to a helicopter at the same time on radio at 300' tracking north by highway nav, who was already at his minima.Fortunately the pilot in question made it to his home base and even he said later " he would never ever do that again". Keeping the plane on the ground is easy, keeping the pilot grounded, in his decisions is the hard part.

• Like 2

He did what most people do who kill themselves doing something stupid.

He thought it would never happen to him it always happens to someone else.

Well that night his named changed to someone else.

A good lesson for us all who want to tempt fate.

It's better to arrive late than dead on time.

Cheers

Alf