Over-confident student crashes

Admin

My results were pretty bland - I did it twice because I forgot what the options were (and obviously forgot what my previous answers were):

Macho 0-2 15-13

Anti-authoritarian 0-0 10-15

Resignation 4-4 15-15

Worry --- 13-16

Impulsivity 4-2 16-13

Invincibility 2-2 -----

Self Confidence ---- 18-15

So there are no stand-outs. This test is to designed to pick up on pilots with a tendancy to one (or two) particular dangerous traits. The over confident show-off would go for the Macho Self Confident option, even if he didn't think he would get himself into that scenario anyway. The results for the second test show that a question may contribute points to more than one category.

Sue

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a reasonable score with the footnote: "We didn't mark you down as much as Facthunter because he's been screwing around with motor bikes and they're HAZARDOUS!

What where your scores Tubz already 3 or 4 of us have the exact same scores on Macho, self confidence and worry.

Put another down for Macho 18, Worry 19, Self confidence 19.

Must be the way we've been trained.

Obviously a healthy balance of self confidence tempered by caution aka worry.

And macho 'cos we've all got big........watches. 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

• Like 1

VMC/IMC=CDVMC/IMC+S=CDx3

The first one is from CASA, the second is mine. its roughly, VMC into IMC equals Certain Death.

The second one is where stupidity is added to the equation, resulting in CD to the power three.

Now that makes more sense !!

I got the same 18/19/19 as many others on the test

While many of us got a similar outcome it would be doubtful if the answers that achieved that outcome, were the same.

I wouldn't put too much stock on these outcomes, at all.

I seriously think the tests are deficient, and just because they were put out respectively by the FAA and "some" university. doesn't automatically give them any credibility in my eyes.

Somebody would have given the task to a selected group who are supposed to be experts in these psychological assessments, and notoriously, in aviation matters , this has proven a failure on many occasions at relating personalities with behavioural patterns.

This is not to say that there can't be a realistic assessment done, but these are certainly far from it. Nev

The pressure that the situation( and you) put on yourself, is a major factor. When you have all the time in the world to get there you will make more cautious decisions. If you are a "sloppy" planner and careless, it probably won't make much difference any way. That will be the way you "do" things. That would be an "attitude" thing, which may go back to your training as well. This is a very complicated subject.. Nev

Survey design is something that I am particularly keen on - and I find myself qustioning the second survey. Here is what I scored:

Macho

Resignation

Anti-Authority

Worry

Impulsivity

Self-Confidence

Pulling six variables out of only 30 questions seems a little like guesswork rather than a sound psychometric test. I will investigate this further, but was wondering whether we could get maybe 100 members (the more the better) to do the survey, and I will run a factor analysis and a rasch analysis to see if we can improve on it a bit? Collect some demographic details, write it up and publish in the International Journal of Aviation Psychology? What do you think Ian?

Probably, Bandit. I have made my position obvious, about what I think of both surveys

. The longer you take to reply the more you might be asking yourself "what are they looking for in an answer' . You could approach it from any angle you choose ( which would be fairly arbitrary) and get totally different results for the same person.).

I have a view that when you are "managing" a flight, (pilot in command), you should accept the assumption that "the buck stops with you".( You shouldn't be in the PIC seat if you don't). So I wouldn't accept non-committal, airy fairy answers at all as being acceptable. I can tell you that I wouldn't be alone in this regard either, in the flying assessment suitability game.

I would more trust a group of experienced pilots and instructors who really know what goes on at the "sharp" end, and what type of response would be right for particular "hypothetical" situations who had some knowledge of psychology, than a group of "experts" from anywhere else ..Nev

• Like 3

I hope that is not the "kiss of death" David. Thanks anyway. I remember a nice chap running for election for a position I had held and he said that he liked what I had done and was doing and he would like to continue those policies. He didn't get elected.... Probably the majority of voters wouldn't have had a clue what I had done anyhow..Nev

At best, there is a tenuous link between survey behaviour and real world behaviour. That said, a properly designed survey can tell you a lot, and I wasn't impressed. Response bias, social desirability bias etc can all be measured and adjusted for, but there isn't anything here for that. There was a variable on attitudes towards the FAA, which tried to pass itself off as a measure of "anti-authority". I picked a mid score on everything there and funnily enough, received a score of 15 (average). That was a pointless variable. Resignation was poorly named and seemed actually a better measure of perceived control. 5 point Likert scales are really quite limited, in that many people will load on the "neither agree nor diagree" option when that is not true.

I have another scale which is a measure of decision making style - well validated and properly designed. It would be interesting to combine the two and see what comes out of it.

Bandit, I got a feeling this test was in fact seeking out opinion of FAA and ATC, any thoughts on that?

(I know disregarding rules and not accepting ATC authority will lead to more accidents, but just a few too many references for my thinking)

Bandit, I got a feeling this test was in fact seeking out opinion of FAA and ATC, any thoughts on that?(I know disregarding rules and not accepting ATC authority will lead to more accidents, but just a few too many references for my thinking)

My thoughts exactly Tubs - a lot less to do with pilot attitudes than it maintains I think.....