Leaving Aircraft outside

Hi. I own a Jabiru J170 and share a hangar with one other aircraft. I now find a third aircraft has been jammed into the hangar built for two. It is impossible for me to move the aircraft by myself. Apart from being physically demanding the danger of hangar rash is great. Does anybody leave their aircraft outside and if so, what means do they use to protect it from the elements. If I leave mine out I can tie it down and perhaps cover it with some plastic sheet. That still doesn't protect it from scumbags that may come onto the airfield during the night. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. By the way, the Jab has only 70 hours on the clock - if I cannot find a suitable solution the aircraft will be up for sale.

It would be tragic if you had to sell it.

There was a thread on here, maybe a year of so ago where some excellent tailored covers were recommended.

I've mostly flown club aircraft that were tied out in the open.

Hi. I own a Jabiru J170 and share a hangar with one other aircraft. I now find a third aircraft has been jammed into the hangar built for two. It is impossible for me to move the aircraft by myself. Apart from being physically demanding the danger of hangar rash is great. Does anybody leave their aircraft outside and if so, what means do they use to protect it from the elements. If I leave mine out I can tie it down and perhaps cover it with some plastic sheet. That still doesn't protect it from scumbags that may come onto the airfield during the night. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. By the way, the Jab has only 70 hours on the clock - if I cannot find a suitable solution the aircraft will be up for sale.

I've just sent you a PM.

Alan.

Aluminium aircraft withstand the weather well. I am not so sure about composites. In theory the paint job should protect the composite from UV damage. Giving the paint a good quality waxing every 6 months or so will keep it looking good for years even if left outside all the time. A good fitted cover over the cabin and engine area will add life to the plexiglass, stop the upholstery & cabin from UV deterioration and keep weather and critters out of the engine bay.

My ex Aero Club bought a new Cherokee Archer in the late 1970s & it has lived outside to this day. It has a cover as above. It was always kept washed (maybe once a month) and waxed once a year. It was re-painted in 2004. Now that is not bad IMHO.

I would be talking to the hanger owner as to why the third aircraft has been moved in & see if you can work out a solution to the problem . I presume you are paying for hangerage there fore you should be able to disscus it with the owner. If that fails well then I would consider the outside arrangment.

I've seen a lot of metal aircraft in for extensive (and expensive) repairs due corrosion. Thin aluminium with laps doesn't do as well as you might think. Some , ( most actually), aeroplanes are poorly corrosion proofed, and I've seen engines that look more neglected than some lawn mowers. I would NOT leave a plane out in the elements and expect it to not suffer.

The drier the atmosphere the better. The presence of moisture facilitates corrosion, and salt really gets it going fast.

Hangarage is one of the biggest problems with aeroplanes. Hangar rash is far more important than many realise. An aeroplane is not built to hit other aeroplanes with with it's relatively delicate structure, where damage can be done that is not readily apparent. Nev

• Like 1

I agree, I've seen expensive planes deteriorating for want of hangar space.

Anyone purchasing an aircraft should factor in the cost of hangarage, which can cost almost as much as the aircraft itself.

Many designs allow folding; perhaps this should be considered. Mine folds for transport and lives in a shipping container, avoiding many problems (but creating others).

I think a lot of the deterioration is because of the lack of maintenance. Many Aero Club aircraft are kept outside all the time but they are used a lot and washed & waxed, lubricated etc. The same situation applies to a car or any other thing left sitting for long periods doing nothing. If you use the aircraft and keep it clean and well maintained you will extend its life dramatically. Let it sit there & get dirty, just encourages mould, acid or alkaline conditions and bugs to make their home on and in it, birds to crap on it etc with resultant corrosion.

Pollutants in the atmosphere are carried by dust particles and then cling to the surface when moisture is present. It is worse by the coast with salt and near industrial areas with all sorts of airborne pollutants.

Looking after your investment will take some time and effort but won't hurt the pocket as much as hangarage.

I fly into a airport every now and again not far from where I live (Not Boonah), there is a Jabiru there which is parked outside.It does look abit tired, main deterioration is on the inside, dash, seats etc.From the sun coming through the windsreen .There is no window covers used.The paint also looks deteriorated.Unfortunately the airfield, is a place where getting any hangar spots is just about impossible.

Hi Kevin, the Archer I used to own, we used to polish it regularly with Fast Wing Polish .It was pretty good stuff. It spend its life outside at Archerfield.It was due for a paint job, when we sold it.It started to get that crazing look.The paint job was 10 or 12 years old by the time when we sold it.Not to bad to get it to last that long when factoring what hangarage for 10 years would have cost.We didnt have a choice on hangarage or not as hangarage was non existent.We had full window covers to protect the interior.

• 1 month later...

Do you think the hangar keeper is simply looking for a reasonable return, thus indicating that you might be paying insufficient rent. You possibly know if your current rent is realistic. Could the solution be to offer to pay twice the current rate in return for removal of the other aircraft.

Do you think the hangar keeper is simply looking for a reasonable return, thus indicating that you might be paying insufficient rent. You possibly know if your current rent is realistic. Could the solution be to offer to pay twice the current rate in return for removal of the other aircraft.

I have a good relationship with the three who own the hangar. If they felt the rates need to go up, they would put that to me. No the extra plane needed to go somewhere and so my hangar was picked. I have since been informed it has a new home (thank Christ). I would buy a hangar tomorrow but Gawler airstrip may not be around in a few years, greedy developers can make zillions out of all that land. I would need a written guarantee the airstrip will be there for another ten years.

• 4 months later...

You can buy or make some electrically operated trolly thing that moves the a/c around. A Commanche parked in front of my a/c which I had to move on my own. Once you have moved the monster a few times you can do it blindfolded. [not recommended]

Most GA aircraft have various nose wheel fittings that you can attach an electric trolley or a long handle that can be attached to the nose wheel to pull the aicraft around I have also made similar handles to move tail wheel aircraft however, most recreational type aircraft do not have the attachments necessary to do it.

Alan.

You could make some carpet protected clamp that latches say on a landing gear strut of that particular a/c. Check out the owner with a big sob story about how hard it is to move his plane and "you don't want to damage his plane trying....".

Get his/hers out, then yours out.Then shove his to the back of the hangar.Then put yours at the front.You have been using the hangar longer.So I reckon that you have the right to have your a/c towards the front.Well in front of his, if it fits that way.

I have a good relationship with the three who own the hangar. If they felt the rates need to go up, they would put that to me. No the extra plane needed to go somewhere and so my hangar was picked. I have since been informed it has a new home (thank Christ). I would buy a hangar tomorrow but Gawler airstrip may not be around in a few years, greedy developers can make zillions out of all that land. I would need a written guarantee the airstrip will be there for another ten years.

Dont worry about the airfield and buy a hangar whilst you still can. Nothing has changed at Gawler an its not going anywhere IMO. Nothing is any different now than before the Council took control. If it was safer in the past, how did the current change ever take place. I dint think we have any greater risk than most other recreation airfields in Australia. I think your at more risk relying on a rental space. In the time I have had my hangar I have got my money back in rentals during the period that the airfield has been re-built... Just food for thought I guess. you have to do whats best for you. Glad things have worked out for you!

regards

mardy

Get his/hers out, then yours out.Then shove his to the back of the hangar.Then put yours at the front.You have been using the hangar longer.So I reckon that you have the right to have your a/c towards the front.Well in front of his, if it fits that way.

Hi Although shifting the front aircraft is a work out; being at the back pretty much should garrentee that you are present when it is moved. Can be a good system considering hangar rash risk when others are moving your aircraft in your absence.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

Aircraft that left outside tend to fair better when they are flown often. The fastest way to have then deteriorate is to leave them outside and never fly them. John.