Guess The Airstrip

Guest Andys@coffs

Naah...Its one of those cheap Chinese Altimeters where the Kolzman scale slips and you end up being unable to set QNH and some really weird altitude that bears no resemblance to anything real......

Here's my example of the same thing.....inside my hangar at Grafton (pretty much sea level) where QNH was equivalent to being inside an intense tropical low..... (light gap ahead is between the doors)

(Lior just joking!! )

P5260302.jpg.e362343bc3f0c316c21665a0648ab643.jpg

This picture was taken during a fly-in circa 2009....

Excellent to see a line-up of planes like this, I had the mistaken idea that sport flying was a rarity in Israel. It's great to see that it's very much alive and well!

I have a passion for Mediterranean history and Masada has been on my list of things to do for many years ... one day ...

We have about 400 active pilots sharing about half that number of microlight/ultralight aircraft hereabouts. I'd love to fly Down Under at some stage in my life, although I'm guessing that in Oz one is more likely to run out of fuel more quickly than aeronautical ideas compared to here.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

• 1 month later...

Old and very heat affected scanned photos but might interest some people to see how times have changed.

This was at a fly-in around 1986 or '87 at a still-very-popular sports aviation airfield - it looks a bit different these days though, someone might like to post an up-to-date pic showing the current look?

PICT0162.JPG.30755e15fedff217b8881f9759b409c9.JPG

PICT0161.JPG.e9c4ddb730906e560fd118cbe39c5eed.JPG

I'm guessing this is the same field HitC.... This one is about 3 years ago... (hope i'm not wrong tho)

Yep, that's the one mate! It's come a long way in 20+ years.

I set up my first flying school there in '86/7 and the only thing there was the few gum trees you can see in the pics I posted. It was a hell of a battle getting the use of the place at all and the fact that it's an airfield today is primarily (or solely) due to the tireless efforts of John McCarron (Amalgamated Pest Control) who badgered the Local and State Govt and Councils and fought the Water Board tooth and nail (the airfield is in the catchment zone of that big dam nearby ...) using every avenue you can imagine except the Federal Constitution, and it nearly came to that too!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Stude! Continentally speaking, you're getting warm, … but as to the grass, it's actually greener and more Beauty-full in the next valley down. Ain't it always?! And don't be fooled by that gravel. It'd give a nasty rash in a crash and, as an advanced stude you'd see that that's looking pretty likely … given as how we're really dragging it in there. That ain't the sight-picture for 'on-slope' you'll see in your school books.

But really, the big question is: where on earth is the airstrip in your Avatar? By the look of the trees - and the tie - I'd say it's definitely outside of Oz. Very nice bitumen though.