OME's Pride & Joy

old man emu

I don`t know about the modern 2 strokes but on some bikes back then, if the timing was too far advanced, the kick back could start the motor running backwards.

Frank.

I did that once on an early 70s Kawasaki two stroke. Stalled up a fairly steep hill climb, so I grabbed the brake and clutch and got ready to kick it again. Started rolling backwards soI thought to just ease the clutch out to stop it. Bang, and away we went backwards under quite a bit of power!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have to now. The old do a qride and get an opens is now gone. What's LAMS?

LAMS stands for Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme and (in QLD at least) is based on the power to weight ratio rather than the old 250cc engine capacity. It means that there are even some 650cc motorcycles that you can learn on and ride with your "P"'s. If you do the QRide thing you first have to get a learners. Once you pass, and if you have held your open licence for at least five years, then you only need to have a restricted motorcycle (RE class) for 12 months before you can do another QRide course to get your open (R class) licence. (a pilot certificate is less complicated!)

Great looking machines everyone, I'm a Triumph man myself! Just one little statistic that's interesting... You are just as likely to be killed in a motorcycle accident as you are in a light plane accident...I reckon the two cancel each other out, so that makes me invincible!!! (Famous last words!)

You are just as likely to be killed in a motorcycle accident as you are in a light plane accident...I reckon the two cancel each other out, so that makes me invincible!!! (Famous last words!)

It's all the others that try to kill you that worries me... there are some serious idiots on the road at times!

• 2 months later...
It's all the others that try to kill you that worries me... there are some serious idiots on the road at times!

Ahhh the inexperience of youth......

Tomo, there are serious idiots on the road ALWAYS.....

(If we ever meet, I'll tell you a little story about a brown Holden Kingswood and my black Yamaha XS1100..... bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif)

Ahhh the inexperience of youth......Tomo, there are serious idiots on the road ALWAYS.....

Haha, I was just trying to be nice! Mind you there's some decent drivers out here in the country, It blows my mind when one goes into town though...

They are all in a hurry to get nowhere, in their little tin tops. Motorbikes get little courtesy and care from a lot of drivers. They still reckon they can say I didn't see him and it's ok. Nev

• Like 1

They are all in a hurry to get nowhere, in their little tin tops. Motorbikes get little courtesy and care from a lot of drivers. They still reckon they can say I didn't see him and it's ok. Nev

No wonder when you're on top of the old Indian at one firing stroke every three Commodores!

Not in Toowoomba......the hurry bit I mean, by appearances most drivers there must think you'll vapourize or something if you get close to the speed limit. I'm quite sure they don't know what the white lines on the road are for, or what you and I know as the indicator stalk. I ride an old Gixxer, and pretty much just assume that everyone out there is trying to kill me, no if's, buts, or maybe's. Done me well so far.

• Like 1

Yeah from Dubbo in it was bloody awful. I had to go bush twice or I would have been hit off the road. It happened to others too. You've actually got to be mad to ride a motorbike on the road especially if you can't keep up with the traffic. Tradies and SUV's are the worst. The big stuff on the Nullarbor was ok. Those blokes try to do the right thing. I'm surprised that no-one got killed on that run. Pushbike riders are worse off. Met one old bloke who had done it twice before. Impressive? Nev

I find that the most dangerous four wheel drivers in the suburbs are YAF's in their little 1.5 litre hatchbacks, always with a mobile phone to their left ear and an urgent need to get from here to there as quickly as possible. Cross a main road from a side street at a roundabout? Bugger you Charlie, I'm not stopping, I got here first.

Anyway, owning a 70 year old bike is like owning your own homebuilt - there's always some tinkering to do. Today I've got to properly secure the exhaust pipes so it doesn't sound like a Bikie ride-by shooting every time I back off the throttle going downhill.

OME

YAF = Young Aggressive Female

• Like 2

Like the jockey shift. How you going to pull the clutch and shift with the left hand at the same time?

It has been cunningly designed so that it has a foot operated clutch and a hand operated shift stick. Look at the pedal at the foot board.

OME

OME - Very nice mate! Hows she ride?

Everyone else - Definitely understand the sentiments about SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You) incidents and general lacklustre driving of all kinds - I was a postie rider for a year and almost got killed on a daily basis. They might've had zero power and poor brakes but my God did they handle! Just as well, too.

Heres my current pride and joy. Nowhere near as cool as the WLA but I still enjoy her:

Cheers all - Enoch

Most american bikes had foot clutches pre WW2 They can be set up to stay where you leave them or to return to full out if you relax the friction set-up. Prior to about 1924 they had a clutch also that could be operated by hand as a back-up in traffic. It all works Ok if it is adjusted correctly, when you get used to it. Handlebar ignition advance retard too worked by a twist grip. Oh and a valve lifter too to decompress the motor for starting. Nev

OME - Very nice mate! Hows she ride?

Now that I've lowered the gear ratios, and fitted a standard exhaust system, it's like riding on a cloud. I'd ride down to Goulburn, but the Hume is too straight to make a fun ride of it. A motorbike needs hills and bends to make life worthwhile.

OME