ASIC cards - another thought.

Ok, semi-serious question:

Every two years we have to re-apply for them.

It is painful filling out all the details which were given last time.

Why can't they simplify it in that if you have a card and are "re-newing" it, a simple question:

Have you become a terrorist in the last two years? Y/N

As "they" already have your Name, address, employer, DOB, country of birth, etc etc etc.

All that can change is "very little".

So if you haven't moved, changed name or anything like that: Why do you need to repeat the information to them which they already have?

I know there is the theory that the card is a money raiser for people. I won't go into that.

But either way, it would save a lot of paperwork, ink and people's time if there were no changes in the last two years you simply tick NO and submit the photos and required ID photocopies.

Oh, and the money.

Just wondering.

• Like 2

If you haven't qualified as a terrorist yet, maybe...have you attended a training camp for terrorism, or taken up an apprenticeship in international terror in the last 2 years. Y/N

Guest Howard Hughes

"Have you become a terrorist in the last two years?" Y

If you answered yes to this question, go to 17B 'exemptions for terrorists'.

Has anyone ever checked your ASIC card? I have never had anyone look at mine and half the time it flippped around by the wind whilst hanging around my neck so serves no purpose anyway.

Maybe a red card with a photo and an endorcement on it stating that you ARE a terrorist would have the same effect.

Frank M

• Like 2

Guest Howard Hughes

I have been flying professionally for over 15 years and have been stopped four times, once in Alice Springs (pre 2001) and three times at Williamtown. (The security guys at Williamtown are required to check x number per day)

Saw DOTAR's inspectors at MTG doing surveillance in about 2005, even they didn't ask for ASIC check...go figure!

Maybe a red card with a photo and an endorcement on it stating that you ARE a terrorist would have the same effect.

I believe the terrorist ID card is green!029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Guest davidh10
...As "they" already have your Name, address, employer, DOB, country of birth, etc etc etc.

All that can change is "very little".

So if you haven't moved, changed name or anything like that: Why do you need to repeat the information to them which they already have?

Just wondering.

Just fundamental security thinking... If there is a chance that the person who may receive the renewal isn't the right one, then sending a whole lot of personal information, some of which comprises your primary identification information to the wrong person would just make it easier for a nair-do-well to steal your identity or obtain a primary identification document in your name.

I wasn't meaning for them to send you your information back.

If the "wrong" person got the renewal notice they couldn't do much with it as when the had to send their piccie (or more so YOUR picture) they couldn't.

Unless they are your twin.

• Like 1

I've just filled in the paperwork for a renewal.... wtf.gif.98144920f830741b92569ef3d0e64f88.gif. Only ever needed it at YSWG. First time, was just coincidental that the ARO was just finishing their inspection, and from several metres away, after seeing a red card with photo (doubt he could have seen much detail) let me continue. And again, at YSWG, on phoning the ARO to get the gate code, he asked for my card number. Probably could have told him anything. Lot a crap and $$$ too frequently, for something that was just to be seen to be doing something.

ayavner.

If we were in the US we wouldn't need an ASIC or any other sort of card. It is only in countries controlled by beaurocrats that such a thing is needed. Don't blame the pollies, they are so gutless that they can't stand up to the beaurocracy.

• Like 1

If you haven't qualified as a terrorist yet, maybe...have you attended a training camp for terrorism, or taken up an apprenticeship in international terror in the last 2 years. Y/N

If you ticked Y above, please tick this box to apply for a T endorsement.

Remember to fill in your credit card details below.

NB: American Express cards will definitely not be accepted.

Has anyone ever checked your ASIC card? I have never had anyone look at mine and half the time it flippped around by the wind whilst hanging around my neck so serves no purpose anyway.Maybe a red card with a photo and an endorcement on it stating that you ARE a terrorist would have the same effect.

Frank M

Mine was checked early one morning at Alice Springs when I arrived at the locked gate and phoned security to obtain entry.

He looked at my ASIC and he looked at me and then said:

"Doesn't look like you!"

I had long red hair in the photo but had gone back to shorter blonde hair in real life.

Then he let me in and drove me, my dog and my gear to my aeroplane in the tie down area.

Kaz

Did anyone else notice the figures on the half-yearly financial report for ASIC cards...

ASIC Fee income $44086

ASIC Card expense $29919

I'm sure there would be other expenses to be factored in (postage, admin time, etc), but a nice earner otherwise

Guest davidh10
I wasn't meaning for them to send you your information back.If the "wrong" person got the renewal notice they couldn't do much with it as when the had to send their piccie (or more so YOUR picture) they couldn't.

Unless they are your twin.

Unless they sent your information back to you, how could you say it was unchanged!

Maybe unchanged from what you sent, previously, but did they record it correctly. I often find that various organisations record information that is contrary to what is provided.

It is interesting that you assume that a different photo provided would not be accepted, however do they really check the new photo against the old one to see if a different person has applied for the same card? Who knows? If they did, then it wouldn't be necessary to have updated photos certified as true and correct!

* I don't have an ASIC, so don't know the process well, but assume it is similar to a passport application.

The bottom line is it is a knee-jerk reacation to 9/11 by Government, [the reaction] that has just got completely out of control and context. Nobody is game admit to the expensive blunder and remove it.

Like the gun law in Queensland [i don't know about the other states] claimed by the premier at the time a one off licence fee of $25 for life. Now $50.00 every 5 years at last renewal and this is the SAME party in Government, changing premeir's names but same party.

Frank M

• Like 1

The bottom line is it is a knee-jerk reacation to 9/11 by Government, [the reaction] that has just got completely out of control and context. Nobody is game admit to the expensive blunder and remove it.Like the gun law in Queensland [i don't know about the other states] claimed by the premier at the time a one off licence fee of $25 for life. Now $50.00 every 5 years at last renewal and this is the SAME party in Government, changing premeir's names but same party.

Frank M

My Marine Board Ticket to drive large boats off shore was "for life", too. Now it's a 5 year renewal at considerable expense... and I still have to have power boat licence even though I can drive things up to 55' OAL. Revenue, mate, revenue. Oh and big brother, too!

I'm waiting to hear of a change in PPL from for life to a renewal fee, as well. I can't see how they can resist it.

kaz

• Like 1

The bottom line is it is a knee-jerk reacation to 9/11 by Government, [the reaction] that has just got completely out of control and context. Nobody is game admit to the expensive blunder and remove it.Like the gun law in Queensland [i don't know about the other states] claimed by the premier at the time a one off licence fee of $25 for life. Now $50.00 every 5 years at last renewal and this is the SAME party in Government, changing premeir's names but same party.

Frank M

Your lucky in South Aust a gun licence costs $72 (1 yr) or $297 (5 yrs)

$25 for life isnt it strange how Gov suck us in and once we are in the system hit us big time !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure about the economics of gun administration but the taxes on fags go part of the way to paying for the damage done by smokers to the hospital system, their families and society in general.

I would imagine that the cops do incure costs administering the gun licencing laws.

If only we could find a way of stopping all those unlicenced guns which are used to kill stock, shoot up traffic signs, farms and houses, rob banks and murder people. That would go a long way to reducing the vast amounts of time the cops have to put into firearm related crime.

I'm not sure about the economics of gun administration but the taxes on fags go part of the way to paying for the damage done by smokers to the hospital system, their families and society in general.I would imagine that the cops do incure costs administering the gun licencing laws.just like all computer databases

If only we could find a way of stopping all those unlicenced guns which are used to kill stock, shoot up traffic signs, farms and houses, rob banks and murder people. That would go a long way to reducing the vast amounts of time the cops have to put into firearm related crime.

Little Jonny Howard promised to do that with the big gun buy back.

Mean while back on ASIC's I have had an ASIC issued to me with someone else's photograph on it. Don't know if it was a mix up with the photos of someone with the same as me or not. Then when I went for my last Class2 medical renewal and my DAME brought up my CASA details on the computer screen lo and behold there was this other blokes or terrorist's picture on the screen complete with my ARN number and address details. He said 'thats not you' So much for the validity of CASA's info if it is gathered from ASIC application mix ups. Ah well just like all computer databases: "Garbage in = Garbage Out"

• Like 1

Little Jonny Howard promised to do that with the big gun buy back.Mean while back on ASIC's I have had an ASIC issued to me with someone else's photograph on it. Don't know if it was a mix up with the photos of someone with the same as me or not. Then when I went for my last Class2 medical renewal and my DAME brought up my CASA details on the computer screen lo and behold there was this other blokes or terrorist's picture on the screen complete with my ARN number and address details. He said 'thats not you' So much for the validity of CASA's info if it is gathered from ASIC application mix ups. Ah well just like all computer databases: "Garbage in = Garbage Out"

That's pretty scary radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif . I wonder how often these things happen?

Got my notice to "renew" the other day, reading their "want" list I mailed back to them they have the lot on file from my original issue, however i see they want a passport photo less that 6 mths old, waiting for a reply to this............let's see