Flying safer and avoiding the avoidable accident!

farri

Louis, I'm as bad at straying as anyone else, but in this case two people died, and we've walked completely away from the lessons coming out of that, so more people can die in the future.

If we stray off the thread topic, or if the thread heading is poorly worded, then someone who wants to search for a specific subject is not going to find it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying safer and avoiding the avoidable accident!

^^That's the topic thread^^. Strictly speaking, talking about safety items which may become useful after the accident has occured (e.g. Nomex clothing/helmets/aluminium fuel tanks) is not about avoiding avoidable accidents.

However, I personally don't have a problem with straying off topic to make/keep the conversation interesting/useful on the Forum. 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

I have to make this quick, I'm getting ready for the funeral of the couple.

Getting back to thread topic. Every pilot has limits. Every pilot should be aware of what those limits are, and

Develop their own set of personal guidelines etc. No matter how good a pilot we think we are, those limits and guidelines must

Fall inside the design envelope of the aircraft and be inside the rule framework of the category.No exceptions. And if a pilot sets a personal limit on himself that he wants to protect himself in the event of a fire or a headcheck then that's his choice.

Who is anyone to tell him any different???

• Like 1

I have to make this quick, I'm getting ready for the funeral of the couple.Getting back to thread topic. Every pilot has limits. Every pilot should be aware of what those limits are, and

Develop their own set of personal guidelines etc. No matter how good a pilot we think we are, those limits and guidelines must

Fall inside the design envelope of the aircraft and be inside the rule framework of the category.No exceptions. And if a pilot sets a personal limit on himself that he wants to protect himself in the event of a fire or a headcheck then that's his choice.

Who is anyone to tell him any different???

Pass on our condolences to the couple's family MM.

If you had a fire situation, the BRS might not be a good idea. With fire, getting down quick is paramount and sideslipping was considered an optional technique to stop the fire coming back as fast. Nev

Hi Nev

Sideslipping is good for an engine fire on a wing. Not as good for an engine fire out the front but still gives a little protection and increases the rate of descent while forward speed is relatively low so getting you on the ground more quickly.

I'm ok until it gets to me or the wings, but pretty messy after that!!!

Think I'll relocate the extinguisher after this ...

Kaz,

Very sobering conversation, chaps. I've flown in a full-face helmet before I added rollover protection and some head padding in my cockpit, but I agree a helmet would be safer. I moved my fuel to wing tanks, and yes, the bloody fuel still has to pass thru the cockpit. (Less safe but allows you to see what's happening: last flight I had some fuel flow issues, and the clear tubes showed a continuous stream of bubbles heading towards the engine.)

Separating fuel from ignition sources in a prang is important. My battery is away from the engine behind the firewall; an automatic battery isolator kills the current in a heavy landing or prang. Like a BRS or fire extinguisher (and house insurance) they may not save you in every situation, but they do make you feel better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I agree absolutely that the best protection is to avoid the accident completely, I have seen somewhere along the way, some documented evidence that head protection is not entirely stupid. The article referenced several cases where occupants had been killed (drowned/incinerated) because they were incapacitated due to head injury (unconcious), and unable to vacate the aircraft in a timely manner.

Personally, I use a military style helmet, it works for me in a Drifter because-

1.Head protection- worst case

2.Visor- eye protection with virtually unrestricted vision, instead of ski goggles

3.Hearing protection

4.Built in comms

Also my old military nomex flight suit ( dunno how flame resistant) is light weight and has zip up pockets all over it which is great in an open cockpit. (also prevents sunburn, those of you who have spent a while in a drifter in a t-shirt will know).

Mind you I am a very low hour pilot, and maybe things will change over time.

• Like 2

Guest davidh10

While the Nomex suit won't provide a lot of protection, it does not become part of the problem by catching fire. They are good and wind proof too. Mine has a phone pocket as well as the rest :-)

With a moniker like M61A1, you must be ex-military! I'm interested in where I can get the sort of helmet you describe, and the cost. I have a couple of good headsets so I'd rather integrate one of them in any helmet I use.

Your comment about being unable to exit the cockpit after a prang are pertinent to us all. Ideally, as part part of my training, I should turn the aircraft upside down and practice opening the canopy and scrambling out. I imagine I could smash out the perspex and wriggle thru the opening, but let's hope I never to test out that theory!

With a moniker like M61A1, you must be ex-military! I'm interested in where I can get the sort of helmet you describe, and the cost. I have a couple of good headsets so I'd rather integrate one of them in any helmet I use.Your comment about being unable to exit the cockpit after a prang are pertinent to us all. Ideally, as part part of my training, I should turn the aircraft upside down and practice opening the canopy and scrambling out. I imagine I could smash out the perspex and wriggle thru the opening, but let's hope I never to test out that theory!

A new helmet is horribly expensive, but good 2nd hand ones show up occasionally on ebay, helicopter ones are best (with dual clear/tinted visors), but heli comms are different to GA (different plug, mike and impedance of speakers), so fitting the comms out of your headset is a good way around it.

Yeah, I'm ex military, but I was an armourer, not a pilot/crew, I still turn spanners & bash metal on military stuff though.

I find this a really interesting topic and a fascinating concept. Hope lots reply as I am keen to find out the different points of view on this one!

flyerme said

I mark a line from A to B and use it as a rough guide line,and ussaully fly over all the open county, avoinding dence scrub etc...I also constantly think if the engine fails, Ill put her down in that paddock,I practice engine off 40% of my landings are done from 500ft with No engine,My instructor only lands engine off,and hes amazing at it ,he had never flown my supercat (or anyother ) he took off did a short circuit and killed all thrust from 400ft and dived her down for a greased 3 pointer,,(smart ass)....next time ill throm a weight in the back..thatl keep him on his toes:na na: just kiddig Jimbo..

Hi,

Well is cost is an issue have a look at the Dave Clark helmet, it is like what you see US Navy flight deck crews wear, it is priced at about $330US. There is a kit for "infilling" the gaps but the cloth and/or leather head inset is still retained. or have a look at www.thefind.com it is a store in the USA that will ship to Australia most prices are around the $400US, hope that helps.

Bob.